The simFlight Network Forums

VRInsight MCP combo v1 button press only detected by FSUIPC after 2 presses

SkyCamel

I have this strange behavior on my MCP. The first time after starting FSUIPC7 the button press is directly detected with the first press.
But once I used a button, next time I have to press twice for the button to be detected. This for all buttons.
Even the rotary encoders will only be detected after the second "click".
Also when I pressed a button and then go on pressing other buttons, when going back to this first button pressed it will "remember" that I pressed it before so
only one press is needed then.

Any idea what creates this behavior?

Cheers,
Luc

How are your buttons assigned? You can try logging Buttons & Keys as well as Events, open the logging console (Log -> Open console) and see if what is happening when you press the buttons. Maybe the first press is a press, and the second a release? You can post/attach your FSUIPC7.ini and FSUIPC7.log files here as well and I can take a look.

If you are using lua to control the buttons, I will need to see the lua scripts, as well aa your FSUIPC7.ini and FSUIPC7.log files, the latter generated with Lua Plugins logging enabled.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply, have been trying to figure out so many other things ....

So attached is the log file. I noticed that there's a lot of "jitter?" with Throttle_1_set so it's kind of annoying in the log, I've to see how to get rid of that.
It look like the problem only occurs with the VRInsight MCP v1. First I manipulated switches on my Saitek Flight Yoke with first entry beginning at
396515 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1 (E), Btn=15, Pressed
   396515 [Buttons.Airbus A320neo FlyByWire] 6=PE,15,CPA32NX_OVHD_FUELSYSTEM_LTKPUMP1_TOGGLE,0

An every push will change the state so that's ok.
When you jump to this line;
422187 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=258, Btn=16, Pressed
   422187 [Buttons.Airbus A320neo FlyByWire] 19=P258,16,CPBEACON_LIGHT_SWITCH_TOGGLE,0

there the problem manifests itself both with the Beacon light and NAV light toggle.
Every time I have to press the button twice for it to be "executed". (this is on the MCP v1)
Any idea what the cause might be ?

Cheers,
Luc

FSUIPC7.zip

1 hour ago, SkyCamel said:

When you jump to this line;
   422187 [Buttons.Airbus A320neo FlyByWire] 19=P258,16,CPBEACON_LIGHT_SWITCH_TOGGLE,0

there the problem manifests itself both with the Beacon light and NAV light toggle.
Every time I have to press the button twice for it to be "executed". (this is on the MCP v1)

But do you see the first press registered/logged/detected by FSUIPC? Your log shows two button presses for the beacon lights (with another two a short time later):

422187 Executing preset 'BEACON_LIGHT_SWITCH_TOGGLE' [4662]

422875 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65820, Param=-12613 THROTTLE1_SET
   422890 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65820, Param=-12353 THROTTLE1_SET
   423531 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65820, Param=-12613 THROTTLE1_SET
   423578 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65820, Param=-12353 THROTTLE1_SET
   423937 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=258, Btn=16, Released
   425234 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=258, Btn=16, Pressed
   425234 [Buttons.Airbus A320neo FlyByWire] 19=P258,16,CPBEACON_LIGHT_SWITCH_TOGGLE,0
   425234 Executing preset 'BEACON_LIGHT_SWITCH_TOGGLE' [4662]

425531 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65820, Param=-12613 THROTTLE1_SET
   425546 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65820, Param=-12353 THROTTLE1_SET
   428796 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=258, Btn=16, Released

If you see the press being detected and logged each time, and the preset is being executed, it can only be a problem with the preset calculator code. Which version of the FBW A320 are you using (release, dev or experimental)? Have you tried switching to using the on/off presets on press/release instead?

If you don't see the first press detected/logged, then the issue will be with the lua that is being used for your VRI device. As it looks like you are using LINDA for this, you should contact LINDA support if that is the issue.

John

I'm using the A32nx-DEV but I have the exact same problem with the default C208. Actually when I started this thread it was about the C208, I even didn't have the FBW installed yet.
I was thinking that maybe it had to do with LINDA so I took everything from LINDA out and the buttons I used for testing were actually setup in FSUIPC.

Please see the attached ini and log without LINDA
Cheers,

Luc

PS Also, when I go into FSUIPC7 assignments/Buttons&keys to program a MCP button also there I have to press the button twice before it will show up
in the "PRESS" and "Button" input

FSUIPC7-2.zip

You didn't really answer my questions...can I assume then that its the second case, and that the first button press is not detected/logged?

1 hour ago, SkyCamel said:

PS Also, when I go into FSUIPC7 assignments/Buttons&keys to program a MCP button also there I have to press the button twice before it will show up
in the "PRESS" and "Button" input

This would also imply that the first press isn't being detected for some reason. 

This issue has also been reported previously - see 

So it seems that this is how the VRI MCP works, as a (sort-of) toggle - so on one press you get a press event, and the next you will get a release event. And as you assigned only to the press event, its only taking action every other press. So the solution would be to assign the toggle preset to both the button press and release.

Also see the following topic conversation that talks about this issue: 

John

It look's John that your search capabilities are better than Google as I used Google to see if I can find anything about this issue but it didn't 🙂
I've been using FSUIPC4 with FSX for years and I never experienced this problem, so I thought. And just to be sure (not that I didn't believe you 😉 )
I started up my FSX and yes, same thing happens with my MCP. And then it came to me, I always used LINDA for my MCP because they had a module for
my PMDG 737 so I only used FSUIPC for my joysticks and axes. So I'm guessing that in the Lua script (or whatever) that LINDA is using they do exactly
like you proposed as solution, putting the same command in the Press and Release so it's working as expected.

If my understanding is correct, the push buttons on the MCP trigger a bi-stable flip-flop so to speak and FSUIPC see's either 1 be set or in the next press 0 been set.
This has kind of an interesting side effect. When some functions only have either an ON of OFF but no  TOGGLE you could create a toggle yourself by just putting
the ON in the PRESS and the OFF in the release so it would just toggle every press cycle. That of course only in the VRI MCP as for joystick buttons that
would not make sense at all 😀

As always John, thanks for your insight (and good memory)
Cheers,
Luc

4 hours ago, SkyCamel said:

If my understanding is correct, the push buttons on the MCP trigger a bi-stable flip-flop so to speak and FSUIPC see's either 1 be set or in the next press 0 been set.

Sort of...FSUIPC see's a press on the first button press and a release on the second (or vice-versa, depending on the initial state of the button's toggle flag. The button assignment panel only registers a button when it sees the press, not the release, although you can assign to the release in the same panel.

This has kind of an interesting side effect. When some functions only have either an ON of OFF but no  TOGGLE you could create a toggle yourself by just putting
the ON in the PRESS and the OFF in the release so it would just toggle every press cycle.

Yes, you should be able to do that - as I suggested earlier, you could try using the beacon/nav lights on preset on the press, and the off preset on release (or vice-versa).

That of course only in the VRI MCP as for joystick buttons that
would not make sense at all 😀

Note that you can simulate this type of action on any button by using the buttons' latch flag, denoted by an F when using compound button conditions - see the Advanced User guide for details.

As always John, thanks for your insight (and good memory)

Not good memory, unfortunately - I just searched these forums for a similar issue. Try the forum search in future, rather than just google.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1