The simFlight Network Forums

Generator hardware Switch dilemma

Dear Pete and John,

I have something that I can't figure out for a while and could use a little help.

I am trying to assign a hardware switch with Project Magenta's PMSystems (737) to turn APU generator 1 on and off.
This switch is connected to the PC via USB via a (simplified) FlightsimPM 737 overhead panel. The other normal on/off switches in this panel work fine.
In PMSystems ,running on another PC, I see that APUGen1 has 3 positions. The Offset is said to be 5624 with values 0, 1 and 2 (by hovering over the switch).
My hardware switch has 3 positions and always jumps back to the middle after operating. However, FSUIPC only sees the two extreme positions and not the middle one.
Now in FSUIPC Buttons and Switches, if I assign my switch position “On” to Offset 5624 with value 4 (2^2), I can see the switch move in PMSystems but the generator will not turn on.
When I operate the switch on the PMSystems screen, the generator does turn on.

How do I assign it so that it will work and turns on APUGen1? And to turn it off again since I only have 1 switch position discovered by FSUIPC left?
I've tried everything with the other values, but I can't get it to work. (I do this with Offset Byte Togglebits btw. or is that wrong?)
I'm probably in a twist of my mind and approaching it from the wrong side, and maybe this won't work at all.
Anyway, I need some fresh eyes and some help.

Greetings from Delft Jaap

I can't really help if using PM - you should try PM support. Having said that, your issue seems to be similar to this (very old, but still valid) post: 

You can also try logging: set logging for Events (non-axis control) and also offset monitoring for the PM APU offsets (560F, 5624 and 5625). If you keep the logging console open (check Send to console window), you can then see what events (if any) are being used and how those offsets change when you operate the switch on the PMSystems screen. You can then try and duplicate that behavior. 

5 hours ago, Jackson5 said:

My hardware switch has 3 positions and always jumps back to the middle after operating. However, FSUIPC only sees the two extreme positions and not the middle one.

This is quite common for spring loaded switches - they only have one (single direction) or two (dual direction) buttons. If you need to send another value to an offset (or a control, or whatever assignment) when it springs back to the central position, then this should be assigned to the button release of the 2 buttons for the non-central position.

Pete retired several years ago now.

Cheers,

John