The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC7.LOG, no GF modules detected

willietee

Hello, new to this forum. I have looked at past subjects and not found anything that helps, so..

FSUIPC7, STEAM FS2020, GF LGT, T8, P8, 166, 45, 46, MCP Pro

GIT works with MCP Pro, LGT, 166

C :/..../Community/FSUIPC7/GFDev64.dll

The log does not detect GFDev64.dll or any GF modules, it does see my yoke, etc.

Help if you could please.

Thanks,

Bill

38 minutes ago, willietee said:

C :/..../Community/FSUIPC7/GFDev64.dll

The log does not detect GFDev64.dll or any GF modules, it does see my yoke, etc.

What is that path? The GFDev64.dll should be in your FSUIPC7 installation folder, which should NOT be under your MSFS Community folder - although that is where the FSUIPC WASM module is installed (folder fsuipc-lvar-module). If you don't know where your FSUIPC7 installation folder is, use the File -> Open Installation Folder option.

Otherwise, please show me/attach your FSUIPC7.log file.

John

1 hour ago, willietee said:

C:/users/bill/appdata/roaming/microsoftflightsimulator/packages/community/fsuipc7

I suspect that there is an issue as you have installed an application under your user account' AppData folder. Please re-install into a non-windows specific/protected folder, such as, for example, C:\FSUIPC7 or C:\MSFS-add-ons\FSUIPC7. You can skip registration and copy/move across your FSUIPC7.key (and FSUIPC7.ini, and any other files you may use) to the new location. Once things are running as expected, then delete that folder.

The T8 switches now work as if they were as a push up ON, push down ON, push up OFF, push down OFF rather than push up ON, push down  OFF and the indicator lights are not operational.

Should I expect to have the T8 and P8 modules work as they did in Prepar3d Simulator?

Thanks for your help and interest,

Bill

17 hours ago, willietee said:

Should I expect to have the T8 and P8 modules work as they did in Prepar3d Simulator?

Yes. I have both the GF T8 and P8 modules and they work fine here.

The T8 switches now work as if they were as a push up ON, push down ON, push up OFF, push down OFF rather than push up ON, push down  OFF

That shouldn't be the case...can you try assigning one of the switches to a lights on event on press, and a lights off on release. Then activate logging for Buttons & Keys and Events, and then show me a log extract when you switch on and then off. This is what I see when I assign to the taxis lights:

255079 JoystickValues PCnum=0, dwCount=1, data[2]={0000006d 00000001}
   255079 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=109, Btn=0, Pressed
   255079 [Buttons] 92=P109,0,C67166,0
   255079 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=67166, Param=0 TAXI_LIGHTS_ON
   255094 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 67166 (0x0001065e), Param= 0 (0x00000000) TAXI_LIGHTS_ON
   255657 JoystickValues PCnum=0, dwCount=1, data[2]={0000006d 00000000}
   255657 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=109, Btn=0, Released
   255657 [Buttons] 93=U109,0,C67167,0
   255657 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=67167, Param=0 TAXI_LIGHTS_OFF
   255672 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 67167 (0x0001065f), Param= 0 (0x00000000) TAXI_LIGHTS_OFF

There you can see the taxi lights on event being sent when push up (press) and the taxi lights off being sent on push down (release).

and the indicator lights are not operational.

The lights are not operational, and never have been (as far as I am aware (I can check in P3D of needed), without the use of an additional lua plugin. You need a lua script that uses the GoFLight library (gfd) to get the lights working.

John

Hello John,

Thank you for letting me know how to assign the T8 switches as they should be rather than what I had them set to (toggle.)  Sorry, I had not figured that out until your reply.  They now are working perfectly.  (I learned something today, hopefully more in the near future)

Regarding the lights, they were working with the GF driver in P3Dv5.3 and earlier.  I have moved to 2020 now.  Perhaps I can get the lua scripts so that the lights would work as they should.

Thanks so much,

Bill

11 hours ago, willietee said:

Regarding the lights, they were working with the GF driver in P3Dv5.3 and earlier. 

Really? The driver is the same so this surprises me...I will take a look later, but please check that you weren't using a lua script for this in P3D.

11 hours ago, willietee said:

Perhaps I can get the lua scripts so that the lights would work as they should.

You would need to write your own or check the forums to see if any are available.

But I will check this in P3D and get back to you (probably tomorrow).

John

I have checked in P3D and it is the same - are you sure that you weren't using a lua script to handle the lights in P3D? If so, you can probably use the same scripts for MSFS.

The lights aren't controlled by the driver as this would just indicate the switch position (up or down). What you want is for the light to indicate is if the function assigned to the switch is on or off, so to do this you have to use an offset (or maybe an lvar) to determine if the light should be on or not, and so this depends on what the switch is assigned to.

There are quite a few support requests on getting the GF indicator lights operational - for example, see the following:

But if you are setting/assigning your GF switches in MSFS the same as in P3D, the lua scripts you used for P3D should also work (although can depend on aircraft) in MSFS.

John

I can assure you that I did not have any lua scripts with P3D,

Then something else, e.g. the GoFlight Interface Tool, that must be controlling the lights - the driver I provide does not do this, for FSX, P3D or MSFS. As I said, the driver does not know what the switch is assigned to, and cannot set the light to the correct state for the assignment.
If you still have P3D installed, please check this. The GF driver is the same for P3Dv4, P3Dv5 and MSFS.

John

14 minutes ago, willietee said:

Are you talking about GF driver 2.28.0-2?

After reading post chats, I do recall it being said that the GF driver is not needed for 2020 and FSUIPC,

There are various ways to use and configure GF modules, If using FSUIPC, for all flight simulators that I support, you only need the driver that I supply, nothing else - and anything else installed can possibly interact with the FSUIPC driver, causing issues. It may be possible to use the GF drivers or software with FSUIPC, but if any issues arise I cannot help unless such software is first removed - I cannot support other peoples software,

I have never used or tried the GF drivers. Maybe you were using that in P3D, with or without the FSUIPC driver. I can only give you information on how to use the software I provide, and the FSUIPC GF driver doesn't, and never has, controlled led lights or displays. You need to use FSUIPC's lua interface for these.

John

Okay, sounds fair enough, I understand that you cannot control other's software.  I do get that, no problem here.

It's just confusing to me when you talk about GF's driver working with their modules and with the lights of the T8 and P8 as well, but that FSUIPC cannot do anything with the lights which I would really prefer to have .  And the similarities of the 2 software.

Please be assured that I find no fault or any issue with FSUIPC and I strive to get the most out of the GF modules and FSUIPC. (you have been a great help so far, thanks)

I shall try to see if I can figure out this "lua" thing.

Thanks and cheers,

Bill

1 hour ago, willietee said:

Yes, I get that 'lua script' is needed for the lights to work, I will be looking at the document that you have mentioned

I can also provide an example script for one switch (e.g. a light) if you like, and you  can try that and adapt and add your other switches. May take a few days before I get time to do this though,,,, I will post an example script here...

John

Here (and attached) is a sample lua script for the GF-T8 lights for the Cessna 172. I have assigned the switches in the same order as in the aircraft - beacon, landing, taxi, nav and strobe.
The current light switches positions for the C172 are held in lvars, so I am using the lua event.Lvar function to pick-up the switch position and set the light accordingly.

function gf_lights(varname, value, userParameter)
--    ipc.log("gf_lights called: " .. varname .."=".. value)

if varname == "LIGHTING_BEACON_1" and value == 0 then
--        ipc.log("*** Beacin Lights off ***")
           gfd.ClearLight(GFT8, 0, 0)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_BEACON_1" then
--        ipc.log("*** Beacin Lights on ***")
           gfd.SetLight(GFT8, 0, 0)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_LANDING_1" and value == 0 then
--        ipc.log("*** Landing Lights off ***")
           gfd.ClearLight(GFT8, 0, 1)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_LANDING_1" then
--        ipc.log("*** Landing Lights on ***")
           gfd.SetLight(GFT8, 0, 1)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_TAXI_1" and value == 0 then
--        ipc.log("*** Taxi Lights off ***")
           gfd.ClearLight(GFT8, 0, 2)
      elseif varname == "LIGHTING_TAXI_1" then
--        ipc.log("*** Taxi Lights on ***")
           gfd.SetLight(GFT8, 0, 2)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_NAV_0" and value == 0 then
--        ipc.log("*** Nav Lights off ***")
           gfd.ClearLight(GFT8, 0, 3)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_NAV_0" then
--        ipc.log("*** Nav Lights on ***")
           gfd.SetLight(GFT8, 0, 3)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_STROBE_0" and value == 0 then
--        ipc.log("*** Strobe Lights off ***")
           gfd.ClearLight(GFT8, 0, 4)
     elseif varname == "LIGHTING_STROBE_0" then
--        ipc.log("*** Strobe Lights on ***")
           gfd.SetLight(GFT8, 0, 4)
     end
end

-- Set light brightness to full
gfd.SetBright(GFT8, 0, 15)

event.Lvar("LIGHTING_BEACON_1", 100, "gf_lights", 0) -- assigned to 1st switch
event.Lvar("LIGHTING_LANDING_1", 100, "gf_lights", 0) -- assigned to 2nd switch
event.Lvar("LIGHTING_TAXI_1", 100, "gf_lights", 0) -- assigned to 3rd switch
event.Lvar("LIGHTING_NAV_0", 100, "gf_lights", 0) -- assigned to 4th switch
event.Lvar("LIGHTING_STROBE_0", 100, "gf_lights", 0) -- assigned to 5th switch

Note the call to gfd.SetBright - this is necessary to set the leds to full brightness (when on). The logging statements have been commented-out - you can re-enable these for testing purposes, if needed.
To use this script, make sure that it is running by adding it to your FSUIPC7.ini's [Auto] or (better) profile-specific [Auto.xxx] section, e.g.

[Auto]
1=Lua GFLeds

If you need help in modifying this for another aircraft, let me know which aircraft you are using, as well as your switch assignments, and I can take a look.

John

GFLeds.lua

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John,

Thank you for your assistance.

I am using the T8 with all my aircraft (Asobo G58, Lionhart TB20), and others along with my Honeycomb Bravo throttle.

My settings for the T8 are as follows (l-r); Landing lites, taxi lites, nav, panel, beacon, strobe, yaw, pitot.

I took the liberty to change some of your Lua file to something more like mine, however it occurs to me that I have  .TXT  instead of a .lua.

And I did not know how to add the other;, if I could find the others, I might be able to make a .txt file but then need to save as a .lua.

Thanks once more,

Bill

attached is the txt file

GFLedsluaMINE2.txt

12 hours ago, willietee said:

it occurs to me that I have  .TXT  instead of a .lua.

Then rename it to be a .lya file...

And I did not know how to add the other;

Which "other"? What do you mean by "yaw"?

I might be able to make a .txt file but then need to save as a .lua.

Just create a text document then rename it to a lua file.

I am using the T8 with all my aircraft (Asobo G58, Lionhart TB20), and others

Then you will most probably have to write a script for each aircraft, although some may be compatible with each other,
Alternatively, you could just write a simpler script that switches the leds on when in the up position and off in the down position, but I think that is a lor less useful.

I can look at the G58 and give you an updated script for that, or maybe a general script if you prefer that.

John

Please see the attached script. This works for the G58 for all your switches in the order you specified (Landing lights, taxi lights, nav, panel, beacon, strobe, yaw, pitot) except yaw, as I am not sure what that is.

Note that this script used the general lights offset at 0x0D0C, and the pitot heat offset at 0x029C. As it uses the general offsets, it should work with all aircraft that use these offsets. For those that don't, you need to find what holds the state to control the light, such as an lvar. The script for the Cessna 172 I posted earlier uses lvars instead of offsets.

John

GFLeds-G58.lua

I have also noticed a difference in the way GF device are detected (I think!). I have two each of the GFP8, GFT8 & GFRP48. These used to be detected as separate devices, i.e. each with a unique joy#. However, now only the GFRP48s are recognised as two separate devices with unique joy ids (or device numbers). Only 1 device number is given to both of the GFP8s and GFT8s, with the button/switch numbers on one going from 0-7, and from 8-15 on the other. Not sure when or how this happened...

Hello John,

Thank you so much for your help in my quest.

I have a "quasi" cockpit on a desk top, used for the many aircraft that I fly, it is not just a single aircraft setup.

You might say that my GFT8 is general or multi use for all my aircraft. Landing lites, taxi lites, nav lites, panel lites,beacon lites, strobes, yaw damper, pitot heat

The Yaw Damper is used when I fly the PC12, which I forgot to mention.  I now would like to get some way to add fuel pumps, alternator to the GFP8.

I have used this setup for decades with many versions of MS flight sims, P3D and now FS2020 only.

I guess I need a multi use capability system.

Thank you sincerely,

Bill

As I said, that script uses offsets, so should be valid with all aircraft that use the simvars associated to those offsets. You should just try it.
For the aircraft that don't use the simvars associated to those offsets, you will need to look at the lvars instead and adjust the script accordingly, and as I showed in the first lua script I posted (for the Cessna 172).

5 minutes ago, willietee said:

The Yaw Damper is used when I fly the PC12, which I forgot to mention.

For the yaw damper, try offset 0x0808.

6 minutes ago, willietee said:

I now would like to get some way to add fuel pumps, alternator to the GFP8.

Then find the appropriate offset or lvar that holds the state/position of the fuel pumps/alternator, and add the appropriate code to the lua script.

I have shown you how to do this now for both when offsets (bits or otherwise) and lvars hold the state of the function that is needed to control the light state, so you should be able to use and adapt those for your needs. I cannot write everything for you - just take a look at the scripts I have provided, as well as the FSUIPC documentation, and you should be able to use and adapt those scripts for any use case / aircraft.

John

I've also just tried the GFLeds-G58.lua with the Cessna 172 and it also works for this aircraft, so no need to resort to using lvars.
The latest script should work for most aircraft, and for the ones it doesn't you will need to adjust and provide a separate script for that aircraft.
For now, I suggest that you just install the script and add it to your general [Auto] section, i.e.
     [Auto]
     1=Lua GFLeds-G58

It will than be started for all aircraft. If it doesn't work for a specific aircraft, you can then look at that on a case-by-case basis.

Probably also better to change the name of that script to just GFLeds.lua, as it is not G58 specific (and change the name to match in your [Auto] section).

John