The simFlight Network Forums

Total newbie guide anywhere? Concerns 'add lvars to offsets'

tup61

I am terribly sorry because I am sure the information is available somewhere but after searching the internet, various forums and even this site I still am totally and utterly lost...

All that I want to do is to assign a few 'non standard switch bindings' to keys on my QWERTY keyboard. That term 'non standard switch bindings' comes from the FlightFSX SF50 manual. It for instance shows this:

Checklists
Scroll Up : H:checklist_scroll_up
Scroll Down : H:checklist_scroll_down
Select : H:checklist_checklist_select

The SF50 has a knob/wheel to control the checklists with. I want to assign regular keys to those options. As I've said I read various topics and tutorials and what not but everytime they lose me in the first sentence already...

In the end I found out that FSUIPC apparently has an option called 'add lvars to offsets' which should be simple to use but the explanation I can found about it (on this forum) has the main link not working.

Long story short: where do you begin with all this if you never ever have used FSUIPC (or Spadnext or Ah and Oh's or whatever)? As said I want to use my regular keyboard for the xtra controls, not some fancy hardware I can't afford. (Most tutorials are about expensive hardware, so it seems.) I need a 'complete idiot's guide' but I can't even find THAT...!

You should fist check the provided FSUIPC documentation, the User Guide and the Advanced User guide. The documentation on adding lvars to offsets is in the WASM section of the Advanced User guide, starting on page 46.

However:

12 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Checklists
Scroll Up : H:checklist_scroll_up
Scroll Down : H:checklist_scroll_down
Select : H:checklist_checklist_select

Those are hvars, not lvars, and you cannot add them to FSUIPC offsets as they do not have a value.
How to use hvars is also described in the documentation. However, the easiest way to use a hvar is to create a preset to use it (again, see Advanced User guide).
What you need to do is to add the following to a file called myevents.txt (create this if it doesn't exist)  located in your FSUIPC7 installation folder:

My_Scroll_Up#(>H:checklist_scroll_up)
My_Scroll_Down#(>H:checklist_scroll_down)
My_Select#(>H:checklist_checklist_select)

Restart FSUIPC7 (if it is running) to reload the events, and then you can use the Key assignment panel to assign to the presets My Scroll Up, etc by checking the Select for Preset checkbox.