The simFlight Network Forums

double-switch assignment

Demious

Yesterday, my new Honeycomb yoke was delivered and I'm trying to figure out how to set up everything. From the default assignments in MSFS, I saw some of the functionality of this yoke works with double-switch assignments, like for trim, you push 2 switches at the same time.

To make the magneto switch usable for dual engine aircraft, I need to do the same, combine the positions of the rotary knob with another button or switch, to specify for which engine it has to work.

Is there a way to do this in FSUIPC7? I'm using a registered version.

4 minutes ago, Demious said:

From the default assignments in MSFS, I saw some of the functionality of this yoke works with double-switch assignments, like for trim, you push 2 switches at the same time.

You can assign however you like, either on a single switch or on a double switch. It is up to you.

6 minutes ago, Demious said:

Is there a way to do this in FSUIPC7? I'm using a registered version.

Yes - please see the section COMPOUND BUTTON CONDITIONS on page 21 of the Advanced User guide.

John

I think I need a little more help, here. This is all new for me. 😁

The formula (n=CP(+j2,b2)j,b, ...), that is for the lines underneath, am I right?

[Buttons.C337 Skymaster]

10=CP(+D,8)PD,30,C65927,0     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
11=CP(+D,8)PD,31,C65928,1     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
12=CP(+D,8)PD,132,C65929,2     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
13=CP(+D,8)PD,133,C65930,3     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
14=CP(+D,8)PD,134,C65931,0     -{SET_STARTER1_HELD}-
15=CP(+D,9)PD,30,C65927,0     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-
16=CP(+D,9)PD,31,C65928,1     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-
17=CP(+D,9)PD,132,C65929,2     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-
18=CP(+D,9)PD,133,C65930,3     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-
19=CP(+D,9)PD,134,C65931,0     -{SET_STARTER2_HELD}-

The Joystick number is 0, or D and the modifier switches are 8 and 9. I added the formula in the manual to these lines, but I think I'm doing something wrong. I used the FSUIPC log to check which parameters are assigned to the switches in the aircraft, which are Magneto 1 and 2 Set (with parameters: 0, 1, 2, 3) and the Set Starter Held 1 and 2. I also tried the Magneto1_Both, Magneto1_Right, Magneto1_Left, etc... but the results of both attempts are not what I expected, or better, what I hoped for.

When I turn the hardware switch (without the modifier switch), both switches in the cockpit are triggered and they make random jumps between positions. For example, when I turn the hardware knob to Both, the virtual knobs turn to Right, or when I turn the hardware knob to Off, both virtual knobs turn to Left. I checked if assignments in the default FS control section still are active, but this is not the case, all entries for this knob and these functions have been removed.

Have you got any advise on how to proceed?

17 hours ago, Demious said:

The formula (n=CP(+j2,b2)j,b, ...), that is for the lines underneath, am I right?

Sorry, I don't know what this means...

17 hours ago, Demious said:

When I turn the hardware switch (without the modifier switch), both switches in the cockpit are triggered and they make random jumps between positions. 

Then there must be an assignment somewhere that is doing this. Logging should help - activate logging for Buttons & Keys and Events, open the logging console and see what is logged when you turn the knob. You can also attach your FSUIPC7.log and FSUIPC7.ini files here and i can take a look. Please attach complete files, not paste contents, and make sure the log is full, i.e. exit FSUIPC7 before attaching, and don't use the New Log feature.

As this is about FSUIPC7 / MSFS, I will move this topic to the sub-forum for this product.

31 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Sorry, I don't know what this means...

That's the formula for assigning 2 control switches to 1 FS function, as it is written on page 21 of the manual you pointed out. See attachment.

35 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Then there must be an assignment somewhere that is doing this. Logging should help - activate logging for Buttons & Keys and Events, open the logging console and see what is logged when you turn the knob. You can also attach your FSUIPC7.log and FSUIPC7.ini files here and i can take a look. Please attach complete files, not paste contents, and make sure the log is full, i.e. exit FSUIPC7 before attaching, and don't use the New Log feature.

I just told and showed you:

18 hours ago, Demious said:

[Buttons.C337 Skymaster]

11=CP(+D,8)PD,31,C65928,1     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
12=CP(+D,8)PD,132,C65929,2     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
13=CP(+D,8)PD,133,C65930,3     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
14=CP(+D,8)PD,134,C65931,0     -{SET_STARTER1_HELD}-
15=CP(+D,9)PD,30,C65927,0     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-
16=CP(+D,9)PD,31,C65928,1     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-

I used the FSUIPC log to check which parameters are assigned to the switches in the aircraft, which are Magneto 1 and 2 Set (with parameters: 0, 1, 2, 3) and the Set Starter Held 1 and 2.

Screen Shot 06-28-23 at 01.38 PM.PNG

FSUIPC7.1.log FSUIPC7.ini

17 minutes ago, Demious said:

That's the formula for assigning 2 control switches to 1 FS function, as it is written on page 21 of the manual you pointed out.

No it isn't. It is the syntax to add a compound button condition. To assign two controls to one switch/button, you just duplicate/overload the assignment.

The log you posted is useless - I see no button presses. Did you activate logging for buttons & keys? You also have logging for axis controls activated - please turn that off. And you used the New Log feature, which I explicitly asked you not to use as I need to see a full log.

However, looking at your ini:

11=PD,30,C65927,0     -{MAGNETO1_OFF}-

First, you have an additional 'P' (highlighted in bold) that you need to remove. Then, when you press button 30 without button 8, MAGNETO1_OFF will be sent. When you press button 30 with button 8 being pressed, MAGNETO1_SET will be sent, followed by MAGNETO1_OFF. You probably want:

10=CP(+D,8)D,30,C65927,0     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
11=CP(-D,8)D,30,C65927,0     -{MAGNETO1_OFF}-

i.e. you only send MAGNETO1_OFF when button 8 is not pressed.

Similar changes needed for this:

13=PD,132,C65929,0     -{MAGNETO1_LEFT}-
14=PD,133,C65930,0     -{MAGNETO1_BOTH}-
15=PD,134,C65931,0     -{MAGNETO1_START}-

to

13=CP(-D,9)D,132,C65929,0     -{MAGNETO1_LEFT}-
14=CP(-D,9)D,133,C65930,0     -{MAGNETO1_BOTH}-
15=CP(-D,9)D,134,C65931,0     -{MAGNETO1_START}-
17=CP(+D,9)D,132,C65929,2     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-
18=CP(+D,9)D,133,C65930,3     -{MAGNETO2_SET}-
19=CP(+D,9)D,134,C65931,0     -{SET_STARTER2_HELD}-

But I am confused as to what you are actually trying to achieve with this....

When you have removed that additional P, you may also want to remove this line:

P=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >> << MISSING JOYSTICK >>

You also need to remove/re-assign the buttons/axes that were assigned to your device A:

A=Flight Yoke System << MISSING JOYSTICK >>

John

It seems like I've figured out all the commands and control numbers, I've seen them all work, but the biggest problem, at the moment, is that when I start MSFS (the start-up procedure of the sim program itself, not the loading of one aircraft/flight), the entries in the ini-file get changed into different commands. Like SET_STARTER2_HELD is often changed into MAGNETO_SET, or MAGNETO1_SET (and those commands don't even work for the starter function), but I think I've seen about every line of the magneto control change, on time or another. I already uninstalled and reinstalled FSUIPC and I've reset MSFS (removed cloud profile, which clears all adjusted settings and user data), but that doesn't make any difference.

Any advise on how to prevent MSFS from making changes to the ini-file?

10 hours ago, John Dowson said:

But I am confused as to what you are actually trying to achieve with this....

I have two engines on a lot of aircraft, but I have only one magneto switch on my yoke, so I need to direct the switch to one engine first, and then to the other.

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

8 hours ago, Demious said:

the entries in the ini-file get changed into different commands. Like SET_STARTER2_HELD is often changed into MAGNETO_SET, or MAGNETO1_SET (and those commands don't even work for the starter function), but I think I've seen about every line of the magneto control change, on time or another. I already uninstalled and reinstalled FSUIPC and I've reset MSFS (removed cloud profile, which clears all adjusted settings and user data), but that doesn't make any difference.

Any advise on how to prevent MSFS from making changes to the ini-file?

MSFS knows nothing about FSUIPC or the FSUIPC7.ini file. It is FSUI{C7 that re-writes the ini file on start-up, and each time you close an assignments panel. When you see "-{MAGNETO1_SET}-" or "-{SET_STARTER1_HELD}-" these are comments, and are always re-written based upon the control of the assignment. If you want to change a control, you change the control number and parameter (if needed), not the comment, i.e the part in bold.
    0=CP(+A,8)A,30,C66400,0     -{MAGNETO1_SET}-
If you change the comment only, that will get re-written based on the control number when you start FSUIPC7.

I change all 3, control number, parameter and comment, every time. I had a little trouble with control numbers at the start, but I got that figured out now. I'll keep an eye on when and what changes.

I'm starting to get the hang of it, thanks for the help!

No need to change the comments as they are rewritten. It is not possible that  the control numbers change unless you change them. If you are editing the ini when FSUIPC is running, make sure the appropriate assignment panel is open first, and click the reload button once you have saved any changes.

11 minutes ago, Demious said:

I'm starting to get the hang of it, thanks for the help!

No problem.

Cheers,

John