The simFlight Network Forums

Installing FSUIPC7

metallipunk

Hello! I am attempting to get the program installed so that I can run a program. I have the Install_FSUIPC7 file that I got from downloads but when I click on the file to run it, nothing happens. I don't even get a screen asking me if I want to allow the file to make changes to my system. What is happening here? I've tried a lot of different things and nothing has worked yet and like a silly person, I ended up purchasing the program. Thank you for any assistance. 

I have searched the forums and I did uninstall the VC+ redistribut files as well. I've tried looking for an installation directory but I assume when I run Install_FSUIPC7.exe, there is a box to ask me where I would like for the program to be installed. I looked in my root C:\, under Users, Flight Simulator but there's nothing there.

Edited by metallipunk

11 hours ago, metallipunk said:

I did uninstall the VC+ redistribut files as well

Did you install the latest combined VC++ redistibutables? If not, please do  that.

Also make sure that you extract the installer from the zip file and that you are not trying to run the installer from within the zip file itself.

11 hours ago, metallipunk said:

I assume when I run Install_FSUIPC7.exe, there is a box to ask me where I would like for the program to be installed.

Yes, this is correct.

There is nothing wrong with the installer. Try downloading, unzipping and installing again. If you get the same issue, check any ant-virus software, including windows defender. Maybe that is preventing installation.

Hello! Thank you for the reply. I did re-install the VC++ redistributables and I ensured that I extracted the files before running them. I did turn off anti-virus and re-download the file just to be sure but when I click to run it, it continues to do the same thing, the cursor spins like it is going to run and then nothing. I have attempted to run the file normally and as an admin. 

Hello! I just wanted to let you know that with the help of some other folks, we got it figured out. Apparently there might be a case of needing to check an unblock box under the installer's properties. I honestly had never seen that before but once I checked that box, I went to run it again and it works! I tried to attach a picture of what I mean but the picture size is over the 20kb. I'll keep trying so there's something there.

17 minutes ago, metallipunk said:

Apparently there might be a case of needing to check an unblock box under the installer's properties.

Can you elaborate on this please. Which tab of the properties and which option are you referring to?

19 minutes ago, metallipunk said:

I honestly had never seen that before but once I checked that box, I went to run it again and it works!

Me neither - several thousand users have installed this without issue, so I am surprised about this, it must be something peculiar to your system.

Anyway, glad it is now installed, but any further information that you can provide may be useful for others who come across this issue.

Thanks,

John

Here's the box I was referring to. I had that box unchecked like this. I was not even paying attention to what it was since it wasn't something I was familiar with. It could be some type of new Windows Security feature? I'm not even sure since I haven't seen it before. All I did was check that box and re-ran the installer and then everything started working properly.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 072531.jpg

Thanks - that is interesting, and different to what I see, but maybe because the file isn't blocked in my system. I do have a pending windows update, so I will take another look once I have updated.

One last question - what version of windows are you running? I have windows 11 on my dev machine, I can check in windows 10 on my flight machines tomorrow as well.

Thanks,

John

• 4 months later...

Hi-

I was experiencing exactly the same problem with the installation file doing nothing after I clicked on it.  It was driving me crazy because I have installed various versions of FSUIPC multiple times and never had a problem.  So I followed  metallipunk's advice and looked at the properties of the file.  I checked the unblock box and voila.... it worked!  So thanks for that!  Now I'm curious how many others are having this problem.  If it makes any difference I have a new computer running Windows 11 Home.