The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC gives me sort of stuttering on MSFS

Talair

Hello! I have searched the forums for this and did find a thread but it didnt solve the issue for me. 

I started with the sim around february and was able to use FSUIPC with gsx and such, but for the past month and a half that I came back to the sim (reinstalled it all fresh) every time I use FSUIPC my game slows down quite a bit, my pc runs the sim with high settings at around 20 to 30 fps, not perfect but its good enough for me. The issue is that whenever I use this, the game starts acting up, like when I taxi to the runway you can see the game slowing down to a stop and then refreshes, like if you were streaming a video and it kind of lags and then all speeds up to catch up and then again, on a loop. 

After takeoff you can see the framerate freezing on the environment, the higher I go the less you notice it but its still there.... If I remove FSUIPC, game starts running normal. I saw the post about fuel pumps, I did get the file that has that part in the .ini but it didnt help. So now I cant use GSX nor any other app that requires this one. 

Dont have any footage as I dont record gameplay, but I could take some screens of FPS measures if needed. 

Just in case its important, Im using the gamepass version of MSFS, not steam. PC specs are as follow 

Radeon RX580 4Gb

i5-8400 3.6ghz

RAM 24gb

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Is this regardless of the aircraft being used or only with certain aircraft?

13 hours ago, Talair said:

I saw the post about fuel pumps, I did get the file that has that part in the .ini but it didnt help.

That is not necessary.

Can you please check that you are using the latest version of FSUIPC7, 7.3.21.
Also, please check the MSFS log console (you need to switch to dev mode) and see if there are any messages being continually logged there.
Also try with FSUIPC's logging console window open (Log->Open Console) and see if any messages are logged when you get the stutters.

I have tried with the FBW a20n, the a330 from headwind and the a319 from LVFR. I did downloaded from your site the file, but im at work and cant check the version I got from there. 

As soon as I get home, I will give it a go with the logs, and will also test it with the default a320 and will post back the results. Appreciate the help! 

Ok so I loaded up the sim with the default a320 and the FBW a20n ... and the sim ran pretty good with the default a320, it even gave me a bit more FPS. 

Not very familiar with the MSFS log console, but im attaching screenshots with external and cockpit views with and without FSUIPC running. No idea why the FBW one is giving me such bad performance while using FSUIPC. any logs or info I could provide? 

here are links to the screenshots 

https://ibb.co/dBgyy9g
https://ibb.co/1925n0C
https://ibb.co/XCWCQJk
https://ibb.co/W6GF5Tm
https://ibb.co/jGFNpn1
https://ibb.co/k3yVR3w

Thanks for your time! 

Does this also happen if you use FSUIPC but no FSUIPC clients such as GSX? I think there was another report of GSX causing stutters with some aircraft, so worth checking. If it is another add-on that is using FSUIPC that is causing then then you need to raise with the add-on developer.

9 hours ago, Talair said:

Not very familiar with the MSFS log console

You need to activate Dev mode first (Options -> General Options -> Developers), then just open the console (Debug -> Console) and see if you can see any excessive message logging, and if so what is causing it. You will see many messages (Errors, Warnings and Messages) - you are looking for anything that is continually logging the same message.

any logs or info I could provide? 

You can also show me/attach your FSUIPC7.log file (located in your FSUIPC7 installation folder), but that probably won't show much...please make sure that you exit FSUIPC7 before you attach this.

here are links to the screenshots 

Ah, so you have the MSFS logging console window open. Looks like there are a lot of errors  - are they mainly 'Could not find components..' ones? Where are they coming from?
It is difficult to see images properly, but your stutters are obviously being caused by the CPU being overloaded (most probably CPU 1). I am pretty this one be caused by FSUIPC, but it could be due to GSX as you are at an airport, so please try without that.

John

I checked the msfs console for the error messages, and most of them are "invalid variable name" or for fuel system. 

Im not using any other app that requires FSUIPC for these tests. The other apps im using are ambitiuspilots pushback and FSLTL ... but for FSUIPC just that, no GSX nor anything else. 

I did a test flight with the default a320 and it ran smoothly (as smoothly as my pc can handle) so for some reason, FSUIPC does not like me using the FBW a20n or the a330 headwind. Wish I had the PMDG to test it with that one. 

FSUIPC7.log

Your log file does not show anything untoward. I have also just checked here using the FBWA320 (stable version) and do not see any noticeable drop in FPS.
If you start MSFS without FSUIPC7 (with the FPS counter window open), load the FBWA320 and wait a few minutes, what does your FPS settle to? If you then start FSUIPC7, again wait a minute or two for everything to load, what does your FPS then settle to with FSUIPC7 running? You can also take a video of this test and show me so that I can see any performance degradation.

Can you also try without the FSUIPC7 WASM module running - just (temporarily) move the fsuipc-lvar-module folder out of your MSFS Community folder before you start MSFS. Do you still get the same performance issues without this running?

John

Sorry I havent posted since friday. I did some test flights over the weekend without the fsuipc-lvar-module folder and it ran good, I still had a couple FPS drops but I give that to the extra consumption of resources with the use of GSX and flying to bigger airports. I tent to keep to small ones since I know my PC is not ideal for heavy areas. 

But yeah, removing that did solved the stuttering I was having and I can taxi and land with almost no issues while using FSUIPC. Not sure what that module is used for and if I really need it or if I can use apps that require FSUIPC with no issues. 

Thanks for your time on this!! 

On 8/28/2023 at 10:42 PM, Talair said:

But yeah, removing that did solved the stuttering I was having and I can taxi and land with almost no issues while using FSUIPC.

Ok, that is strange - the lvar WASM should not have that much impact in performance. You could try tuning the WASM by setting the following WASM ini parameters:
    LvarUpdateFrequency=Second    -- this will then only send lvar updates every second, rather than at 6Hz
    LvarScanDelay=10 -- this will delay the initial scan to detect lvars by10 seconds (default is 5)

LvarScanFrequency=-20 -- this will instruct to only scan for new lvars every 20 seconds (the default is 2 seconds)

On 8/28/2023 at 10:42 PM, Talair said:

Not sure what that module is used for and if I really need it or if I can use apps that require FSUIPC with no issues. 

It is used to provide FSUIPC and FSUIPC clients with access to lvars, hvars and calculator code. There are also some non-FSUIPC add-ons that also use the facilities provided by this WASM module. I don't know if the apps you use will use this - if they work ok without this then you are probably Ok. As you are using the free version of FSUIPC, FSUIPC itself will not be using the WASM module unless for an add-on.

John

1 hour ago, Dustoff said:

Should it be like that or is there something wrong?

There is nothing wrong. Many MSFS aircraft continually send various events/controls, and these are different for each aircraft. You can use the DontLogThese ini parameter to stop such events being logged, best used in a profile section as they are aircraft specific.