The simFlight Network Forums

Run/RunIf not working on WideClient

Sky Blue Flyer

I cant seem to get programs to start on my client PC running WideFS7 using the Run or RunIf commands. I am doing the same thing on the main MSFS sim pc using the same syntax and it works fine. I am showing that WideClient connects on both the server and client when I spawn at gate and other software on the client pc requiring fsuipc is working correctly. I am trying to get various ProSim modules to start on both the msfs server and client pc's when msfs starts.

I have attached logs

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FSUIPC7.ini WideClient.ini FSUIPC7.log WideClient.log WideServer.log

• Sky Blue Flyer changed the title to Run/RunIf not working on WideClient

Please see the WideeFS Technical document on how to start programs from WideClient. There is no [Programs] section in the WideClient.ini - you need to use the [User] section, there is no RunIf command, and no actions. Instead of:

[Programs]
Run1=READY,CLOSE,"C:\ProSim\ProSimIOS\ProSimIOS.exe"

try:

[User]
Log=Errors+
RunReady1=C:\ProSim\ProSimIOS\ProSimIOS.exe
CloseReady1=Yes

John

• 1 month later...

Hi John

Sorry for the late feedback. I have checked the fsuipc7.ini entries and amended the WideClient.ini with the suggested [User] entries checked against the WideFS Technical document.  

I now have had a chance to test the new configuration and am happy to report that the 3 programs in the [User] section are starting when the WideServer connection is made. There does however remain a problem with the fsuipc7.ini programs starting. The first in the [Program] list starts but not the second and third. Interestingly you will see from the attached fsuipc7.ini file that a delay line is always written to the [Program] entry despite being deleted each time I check the fsuipc7.ini file. Could this be linked to start problem that  I am seeing? 

Also I am not seeing the 3 x WideClient started programs close when Wideserver disconnects. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance John for your time looking at this.

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log WideClient.ini WideClient.log WideServer.log

15 hours ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

The first in the [Program] list starts but not the second and third. Interestingly you will see from the attached fsuipc7.ini file that a delay line is always written to the [Program] entry despite being deleted each time I check the fsuipc7.ini file. Could this be linked to start problem that  I am seeing? 

You should edit the FSUIPC7.ini file when FSUIPC7 is not running, otherwise entries can get written back, so please try that. However, they should still  be started with the specified delay, so I am not sure why they are not starting. There has been no change to the functionality of the [Programs] section for many years, so i cannot understand why this isn't working for you. I will check this here later.

16 hours ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

Also I am not seeing the 3 x WideClient started programs close when Wideserver disconnects. Am I missing something?

There could be several reasons for this. First, try with:

CloseReady1=Yes
CloseReady2=Yes
CloseReady3=Yes

i.e. capitalise the first letter of Yes. This should'nt be case dependent, but I'm not sure (without checking the code), so please try that first.
If it still doesn't work, try using Kill instead.  See the WideFS technical guide on why close sometimes won't work, and what to try instead.

Also note that you are using an old and unsupported version of FSUIPC7, v7.3.19. Please update to the latest and only supported version, v7.3.23.
Also, when generating log files, do not log IPC Reads/Writes unless asked, as this can dd lots of useless messages for the issue at hand.

Thanks John. I'll update to the latest version of fsuipc7 first then try the changes you recommend to the Program section of the ini. I do always close fsuipc7 before making changes to the ini file. Strange that the extra line keeps being inserted.

Similarly I'll try the WWideClient ini changes and report back.

I will remove the ipc reads & writes from future logging.

One final thought, I am starting msfs2020 from within addon linker rather than from within Steam or using the fsuipc msfs bat file. Would this make a difference?

23 minutes ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

One final thought, I am starting msfs2020 from within addon linker rather than from within Steam or using the fsuipc msfs bat file. Would this make a difference?

No, it is MSFS that starts FSUIPC7 anyway, via the EXE.xml file.

24 minutes ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

I do always close fsuipc7 before making changes to the ini file. Strange that the extra line keeps being inserted.

It is strange - I can't see how they can be added back  - how would FSYUPC know what to add back if it was removed? Something else must be going on....

I updated to latest supported version of fsuipc7 and changed the WideClient.ini to kill and everything worked as it should. I am yet to check if the fsuipc7.ini file was written back to but at least the programs were all started and closed.

Thanks for your help on this one John

Just a bit of feedback John following more testing. I spoke too soon and I am still getting a "Delay=x" writeback to the fsuipc7.ini file after which the exe files do not then start as before. If I remove the 'Delay' function from each of the strings it works and there is no writeback and has continued to work perfectly during numerous startups. The problem by elimination appears to be the Delay function. I am happy to leave it out as the 3 prosim programs work fine when started simultaneously. 

regards

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John

I have installed the 7.3.25 beta exe and I am not getting any delay write back to fsuipc7.ini. However  I am still unable to get the delay function to work.

I have tried using "DELAY" which I believe has a default 10 secs. and also tried with the syntax in the advanced manual i.e."DELAY[=10]" Without success. I did try removing the parentheses but again no joy.

If I remove the "DELAY" function completely the .exe start immediately so the 'run' syntax is correct.

FSUIPC7_prev.log FSUIPC7.ini

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

also tried with the syntax in the advanced manual i.e."DELAY[=10]" Without success. I did try removing the parentheses but again no joy.

You don't need the parenthesis -  they just indicate that the =n is optional.

Did you try without the READY option? As the READY option already delays until the FS is up and ready-to-fly, I suspect the DELAY parameter can only be used when READY is not being used. Although this should be documented as such if this was the case.

I have enabled debug logging for this in the attached version if you could try this please. Try with 'DELAY=10' (or whatever numbers that you want to use) option  and show me your log file as well as the ini you used.

FSUIPC7.exe

Hi John

I tried without the 'READY' option for 2 of the executables and inserted a 'DELAY' option, fsuipc7.ini file attached. The first executable with 'READY' and no 'DELAY' option started on FS start. The other 2 did not start either on FS start or 'Ready to Fly'. Log file attached as requested.

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

[Edit 1] A bit of further info after more testing John. It seems that any changes in the fsuipc7.ini (in the Programe section) require a pc reboot to become effective. I tried adding the changes without a reboot and it didn't work. After I rebooted I did get some success as follows.

So, with the 'ready' option included, any delay time inc default does not work at all and the program starts on FS start. Without the 'ready' option and 'delay' included, the programme doesnt start on FS start but does start when 'ready to fly' is clicked after selecting departure. However not with the delay seconds, either as "=n" or default. Just to confirm, whenever I make a change to the [program] options in fsuipc7.ini I have to reboot the pc for the changes to be effective otherwise there is no change to behaviour.   

14 hours ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

I make a change to the [program] options in fsuipc7.ini I have to reboot the pc for the changes to be effective otherwise there is no change to behaviour. 

You really shouldn't need to reboot, restarting FSUIPC7 should be sufficient. 

I will look at your files and do some testing here later in the week and get back to you.

John

15 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Can you try the attached version please: FSUIPC7.exe

Hi John

Thank you for the revised beta .exe file. 

I have just tested it with success. I set all three [Program} entries in the .ini file with both the READY option and varying DELAY time options and all three worked perfectly, i.e. the programs started in DELAY time order after the FS main screen appears, a departure location selected, custom flight loads and 'Ready to Fly' is initiated. Thus can clearly be seen from the attached log file.

For info, I did also test without the 'Ready' option. Each of the programs started with the respective 'Delay' options but before the FS initiated.  Which is fine for most, but I require ProSim to start after FS starts.

Thanks for your help with this John. Will your modified fsuipc7.exe be incorporated into the next release?   

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log