The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with Logitech Quadrant

chickster25

Hi, I am using a Logitech quadrant as well as the Logitech yoke.

I am using the first lever Joystick-L-X for the spoiler settings.

In Windows control panel, I can see the level setting moving and it can go in the full range from 0-255 as expected.

I have set the spoiler in FSUIPC and used "Send Direct to FSUIPC Calibration" but when I go to Joystick calibration for the spoiler, the In/Out settings are all over the place.

The numbers are moving, even when the lever is stationary and I cannot get the numbers to show the full range. The numbers are moving constantly?

Any ideas, as the device looks fine in windows 10? I am using the latest version .23 of FSUIPC?

Can you switch to using 'Send to FS as normal axis' and generate a log file with Axes Controls logging enabled, then load your aircraft and slowly move the assigned spoiler lever through its full range and back. Then exit FSUIPC7 and show me/attach your FSUIPC7.log and FSUIPC7.ini files.

Do you have any assignments in MSFS? If so, please check if the spoilers are also assigned there,

Hi 

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have tried to do as instructed by hit a few issues.

When setting "Send Direct to FSUIPC Calibration" the option of "Spoilers" can be chosen and then I can set the in/out

When I choose "'Send to FS as normal axis", the option of "Spoilers Set" is the only thing I can select. When I went to the Joystick calibration screen, I could not set the In/out for spoilers as the lever was not having any effect?

I do not have any clashing assignments in MSFS for this lever.

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

52 minutes ago, chickster25 said:

When I choose "'Send to FS as normal axis", the option of "Spoilers Set" is the only thing I can select. When I went to the Joystick calibration screen, I could not set the In/out for spoilers as the lever was not having any effect?

Thats strange, as I can see it moving here. Note also that there is the Axis Spoilers Set control.

However, this control doesn't work well for the spoilers in the PMDG 737, There is a preset available for assigning an axis to spoilers in the 737: PMDG B737 Spoiler Lever Set
image.thumb.png.2c29038fe9a8333befa798327abc2ccf.png

However, this preset is not in the events.txt file for some reason. You can add this to your myevents.txt file (create this file if it doesn't exist) and add this preset to this file:

//PMDG/B737-700/Controls
PMDG_B737_My_Spoiler_Lever_Set#@ 16384 + 327.68 / near 0 max 100 min s0 l0 5 < if{ 679101 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 10 < if{ 679201 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 50 < if{ quit } l0 70 < if{ 679301 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 95 < if{ 679401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } 679501 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

Note I have changed this from the MF preset as my axis goes from -16384 to +16383 - you can adjust these values to suit your axis range (highlighted in bold above)

Once you have added this preset to the myevents.txt file, restart FSUIPC7. You can then assign to this preset by checking Send Preset to FS box and then selecting the preset from the drop-down.

Note the preset is using the following PMDG custom controls via the ROTOR Brake method:

#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER                (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 679)
#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_DOWN        (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 6791)
#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_ARM            (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 6792)
#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_50PCT        (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 6793)
#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_FLT_DET        (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 6794)
#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_UP            (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 6795)

You can achieve the same as the preset by sending these custom controls when entering an axis range, using the right-hand side of the axis assignment dialog, if you prefer. See the FAQ section on how to use custom controls for PMDG  aircraft.

John

Hi John

So I have followed your instructions and set up the Myevents.txt file and added into FSUIPC, as a "Send Preset to FS".

For clarity, on the Axes Assignments screen, In/out goes from 16383 to -16384 when I move the lever. I have cleared the spoiler setting on the Joystick calibration page. 

When I get into the cockpit of the PMDG 737, the spoiler lever on screen is not moving inline with my movements. It is moving randomly and stopping midway, even if the real lever is full open or closed?

Although my in/out settings match yours, I dont understand what the +327.68 refers to?

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log myevents.txt

10 minutes ago, chickster25 said:

Although my in/out settings match yours, I dont understand what the +327.68 refers to?

Your axis goes from 16383 to -16384, this code (in Revers Polish Notation, or RPN) '@ 16384 + 327.68 /' takes the input ('@'), adds 16384 ('@ 16384 +'), giving a range of 32768-0, and then divides the result by 327.68 ('327.68 /'), giving a range of 100-0. so it converts the range +16383 to -16384 to +100 to 0. 
You could try reversing the axis, i.e. add '-1 * ('@ -1 * 16384 + 327.68 /....').

What do you see in the outside view - can you see the spoilers extending and retracting with your lever? The movement will not be linear, as the preset sets the position according to those custom controls: down, arm, 50%, FLT_DET, Up.  You can adjust the numbers in the preset code (5, 10, 50, 70, 95) to change the position for each of those positions.

I have finished now - I can look into this further over the weekend if you are still having difficulties.

@chickster25 I have just taken a look at this in more detail. The preset works reasonably ok here but only moves the lever between the discreet 4 or 5 positions.
However, I can fully control the lever by assigning with Send to FS as normal axis using the Axis Spoiler Set control. Make sure there is no calibration being performed - go to page 6 of the calibration tab and remove any calibration by clicking Reset in the spoilers.