The simFlight Network Forums

Loosing Throttle Control

Flying PMDG DC-6 in MSFS that requires direct throttle input via FSUIPC 7 ver 7.3.24.  Engine runup and take off is fine.  Reducing power to 30" for cruise is works.  But further reducing power for descent below 30" only works on engine 3 & 4.  Can manually reduce throttles 1 & 2.  input from my very old CH Throttle Quad has no effect on 1 & 2.  I can increase power on 1 & 2 above 30" 

Checking FSUIPC values: 

Throttle          1          2            3          4

14719  15615    14335   14719

-16254 -15604 - 16384 - 16234

Lots of variation here but the quad has been working until just now.  any ideas why half of the system would quit?  I'm attaching the last log file for what it's worth.

Maybe it's time for a new Quad.  Thanks,

Jim Driskell

FSUIPC7.log

8 hours ago, jdriskell said:

Flying PMDG DC-6 in MSFS that requires direct throttle input via FSUIPC 7 ver 7.3.24.

The latest, and only supported version, is 7.3.25. Please update. It should tell you you need to update in the main window when you start FSUIPC7....

8 hours ago, jdriskell said:

Lots of variation here but the quad has been working until just now.

This shouldn't matter as long as the throttle is calibrated correctly, and you should get full throttle movement even when the throttle shows limited value ranges. Have you calibrated your throttle? If noy, please do that.

If you get the same problem, please show me/attach your FSUIPC7.ini file. and generate a log file with logging for Axes Controls activated and show me that - just load your aircraft, move each throttle (that is having issues) slowly through its full range and back again, and then exit FSUIPC7 before attaching your FSUIPC7.log file.

Hi John,

I tried another flight with the PMDG DC-6 with the same results, the CH Quad loosing control for Throttle 1 & 2.  The only way I could control them was with the mouse.  3 & 4 continue to work.

I'm attaching my .ini file and the really big .log file.  I included throttle 3 & 4 for comparison.  Sorry for the extra data.

Jim Driskell

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

Sorry, but I have  no idea what is causing this. Your log does not show anything - the throttle *_EX1 controls don't srrm to be logged for some reason. And as throttles 3 & 4 are on the same device, I do not understand how these can continue to work if 1 & 2 are failing, The next time this happens, can you open the FSUIPC axes assignment panel and see if the throttles are still recognised there, and if your assignments are still recognised.

Your throttle calibration is rather strange:

Throttle1=-15474,-8062,512,15359
Throttle2=-16384,-10793,512,14207

Those are quite large idle zones, and no calibration for throttles 3 & 4. In the DC-6, you are using profile-specific axes assignments but not a profile-specific calibration section. Can you create a profile-specific calibration section for the DC-6, and then remove the throttle calibration for throttles 1 &2 (click the Reset button in the throttle calibration page).
I am not sure that this will help, but the only difference between throttles 1/2 & 3/4 is that the 1/2 throttles are calibrated.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I re-scanned the throttles in the DC-6 Axes.  They are now working.  PMDG updated the DC-6 twice recently so I think the update disconnected the link between FSUIPC and the model.  The reason you only found to poorly scanned throttles 1 & 2 is that I did this early on but now I generally scan and calibrate them within the various subsections specific to the particular airplane.  The PMDG DC-6 accepts Throttle input direct, not calibrated.  The DC-3 has the Duckworth enhancement that uses a preset Duckworth special  connections.  The PMDG 737 uses the standard scanned and calibrated throttle input.  Apparently the standard is "no standard!"

Thanks for your time and help.  Your customer service is tops!  Say "Hello" to your dad.  As I mentioned, I've been using FSUIPC since the early days and think it's the superior method for controlling flight controls.

I'm attaching my current .ini file for information is you have time to look at it.

Jim Driskell

FSUIPC7.ini

You also have a large null zone set on your proppitch axes:

PropPitch1=-16384,-10663,512,14847
PropPitch2=-16254,-10012,512,14591

And as I said, you will be better off creating a profile-specific calibration section for the DC-6.

You could also clean-up the aircraft names in your profiles to use substring matching, so, for example, change this:

[Profile.DC-6]
1=PMDG DC-6A PMDG House (N6PA | 2021)
2=PMDG DC-6A US NAVY VR53 (N131594 | 1999)
3=PMDG DC-6B PMDG House (N6PM | 2021)
4=PMDG DC-6B Alaska Airlines (N91306 | 1961)
5=PMDG DC-6B The INDEPENDENCE (6-505 | 1950)

to this:

[Profile.DC-6]
1=PMDG DC-6

That will then catch all variants, i.e. any aircraft containing the string 'PMDG DC-6'.