The simFlight Network Forums

radical wind shits

This is just a curiosity question. I and others often experience radical high alt winds shifts while in jet flight while using real wx from an wx addon program (ie non-global settings). I understand that FSUIPC is unable to do anything about this at this time.

My question is, in very general terms, Why?

I am a novice and I do not program. However, I was just thinking about it and it seems that if FSUIPC intercepts and controls the wind that FS9 sees, then isnt sometype (anytype) of smoothing available? Can anyone kinda give me a 'short version' answer.

Is it reasonable to expect work is being done in this area?

Thanks

Mike

This is just a curiosity question. I and others often experience radical high alt winds shifts while in jet flight while using real wx from an wx addon program (ie non-global settings).

Not just weather from add-on weather programs, also FS's own downloaded weather.

I understand that FSUIPC is unable to do anything about this at this time. My question is, in very general terms, Why?

Because I've been unable to find out how to get to the current localised weather. I can read weather at a Metar Station, and write it to a weather station, but the weather experienced at the aircraft is calculated by FS as you fly, and is supposed to be interpolated from the nearest so-many stations. It used to be only 3 staations in FS2002 and FS2000, and I could work out which ones -- in FS2004 is it more like 30, or even more, I think, and I can't locate them and even if I could I wouldn't know how to "fix" them.

I think the interpolation in FS is faulty. It should be reasonably smooth, but it seems it gets the directions screwed up quite often -- 180 degrees out being apparently the commonest error. The interpolation in wind speeds doesn't seem to be at fault as far as I've found or seen reported.

I am a novice and I do not program. However, I was just thinking about it and it seems that if FSUIPC intercepts and controls the wind that FS9 sees, then isnt sometype (anytype) of smoothing available?

Ah, but it doesn't intercept or control the wind. I wish it could. When and if I find a way to do that, I will do it. At present I can only do it for visibility.

Is it reasonable to expect work is being done in this area?

The problem is that the FS code in WEATHER.DLL is about the most diabolically convoluted stuff I've ever seen. FS2000 and FS2002 were a doddle by comparison. It's a result of all this encapsulated polymorphed multi-inherited severely sub-classed object-oriented C++ stuff they use these days. I'm just a poor old procedural programmer, used to low level assembly code stuff (since I started in 1963) but nothing like this.

It took me several months of tracking doggedly through heaps of disassembled code just to get what we've got now. And I can tell you I gave up several times. I was going to chuck it all in!

I may dive in again sometime, but when I do there'll be precious little else I will be able to do at the same time. And it may be pointless. I really hate being non-productive and after a few days of laboriously getting nowhere I get very very depressed.

So mostly I implement things I can do, those things on my list that folks have requested that are at least possible.

Regards.

Pete