The simFlight Network Forums

Strange Freezing FSCUIPC7 Bug

Oriel46

Hello everyone,

I've been having this weird bug lately where fscuipc7 (free version) starts up as normal with the launch of MSFS.

About half way through the loading screen, the loading bar freezes and I get the Not Responding in the details part of Task Manager. A second or two after the freeze I get an error message pop up on my screen that fscuipc7 already has been opened and is running. I press OK and then I need to X out of the new fscuipc7 box that has opened.

After a few minutes the Sim will continue loading and everything is fine. I noticed at some areas during flight I will get a large freeze for 10 or more seconds and again the sim will show Not Responding in task manager. I had one flight where the freeze never thawed and I had to close the sim, on every other occasion the sim un-freezes and the flight continues. I don't know if it's related to fscuipc7 or not, only because of the similarities with the freeze upon loading.

I deleted fscuipc7 and downloaded the latest version and the problem persists. Are there files somewhere that I didn't delete fully? Why am I getting a double launch of fscuipc7 that seems to cause this freeze on loading? What is it I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Oriel

14 hours ago, Oriel46 said:

I deleted fscuipc7 and downloaded the latest version

You should not delete FSUIPC7. If you want to remove it, run the uninstaller or uninstall via the windows app management panel. And if you are updating FSUIPC, just download and run the installer, no need to uninstall.

If two copies of FSYUPC7 are running, check your EXE.xml file - you can get the location from your InstallFSYUPC7.log file. If there are two entries for FSUIPC7, remove one, However, this shouldn't be possible as the installer for FSUIPC7 should only add an entry if non exists, so if there are two then something has gone wrong. Please show me/attach your EXE.xml before you edit it.

As for your pauses, I doubt very much that these have anything to do with FSUIPC7. If you are using auto-save with a complex add-on (e.g. PMDG 737) then this can cause substantial pauses, but there are also remedies for this (see the FAQ entry  Problems with Autosave on Windows 10/11 : The Answers!). You can also attach your FSUIPC7.log file and I can see if there are any issues reported there.

John

Hi John,

thanks for your reply. After some searching I found my exe.xml file in the the LocalCache. Here is the info from the xml file. Where do I find the log file? Thanks again

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Couatl</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_MSFS.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FSRealistic</Name>
<Disabled>false</Disabled>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FSRealistic\FSRealistic.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Name>FSUIPC7</Name>
<Path>C:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe</Path>
<CommandLine>-auto</CommandLine>
<NewConsole>False</NewConsole>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

20 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

After some searching I found my exe.xml file in the the LocalCache. Here is the info from the xml file.

That looks fine, with just the one entry that is starting FSUIPC7. If two copies are being started, then something else is starting it. Are you sure that you hadn't manually started FSUIPC before starting MSFS, or that it wasn't already running for some reason?

21 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

Where do I find the log file?

The FSUIPC7.log file is in your FSUIPC7 installation folder (C:\FSUIPC7\), together with your FSUIPC7.ini file (your settings). If you cannot see it, you have windows Explorer set to hide extensions of known file types. Change this in the Explorer View Options.

23 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

That looks fine, with just the one entry that is starting FSUIPC7. If two copies are being started, then something else is starting it. Are you sure that you hadn't manually started FSUIPC before starting MSFS, or that it wasn't already running for some reason?

The FSUIPC7.log file is in your FSUIPC7 installation folder (C:\FSUIPC7\), together with your FSUIPC7.ini file (your settings). If you cannot see it, you have windows Explorer set to hide extensions of known file types. Change this in the Explorer View Options.

It definitely starts by itself, when I get the MSFS launch window the fscuipc logo pops up for a second and I can see it in the system tray, halfway through the loading I get the second launch and the freeze. Come to think of it, when I installed Self Loading Cargo a while back, this also has an auto launch of fsuipc and I noticed it started happening that far back although I wasn't aware of any freezes. I've since deleted that program fully but the launch is still happening. Is there a reason it would still launch even if that program is now gone?

I've attached the log file below, thanks for your help, John.

InstallFSUIPC7.log

6 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

It definitely starts by itself

It does NOT start by itself. Something must be starting it. I cannot help you with this - it is your PC. There are two other applications started fromyour EXE.xml:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_MSFS.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\FSRealistic\FSRealistic.exe

Maybe one of them is starting FSUIPC? Try disabling each in turn to find out - just temporarily rename each exe and see if the 2nd instance is started or not. If not, then you have found the culprit.

9 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

I've attached the log file below, thanks for your help, John.

Not sure why you attached that. I said I could take a look at your FSUIPC7.log file, to see if there was anything in that that related to your pause/freeze issue, but I doubt it. You probably get some data-stalled issues logged, but this is expected if the sim is freezing.

John

46 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

It does NOT start by itself. Something must be starting it.

Meaning, I'm not physically starting the program by myself, which is what you were asking me in your other post, "are you manually starting yourself?"...  MSFS starts the 1st launch and then I get the 2nd launch.

Anyway if you can't help you can't help. This issue has been happening before the Couatl download (GSX) and long after FSRealistic was installed.

Thanks for trying.

2 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

That's the only log file in the install folder,

Impossible - there MUST be an FSUIPC7.log file. If that wasn't created, there is something seriously wrong...

3 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

even after I unchecked the hidden items.

Its not hidden. As I said, uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types'.

John

If you have ran FSUIPC7 at least one after installation/re-installation, there must be a .log and .ini file there, unless you have very stringent anti-virus protection.

Open a command prompt, change to your FSUIPC7 installation folder:
    cd C:\FSUIPC7
List the files:
    dir
and show me/paste (i.e. cut and copy, not just write whatever you see) the output.

19 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

EventFiles, HvarFiles, SDK, Utils, Documents, events.txt, events-license.txt, fscuipc.exe, installfscuipc.log, uninstallfscuipc.exe

This is obviously incorrect, due to typos, if nothing else...

I am not interested in seeing images...

Run FSUIPC7 and open the logging console (Log->Open Console). Do you see messages logged? Then use File->Open Installation Folder. That will open a windows Explorer window on the folder being used. Is the log file there?

If there is no FSUIPC7.log and FSUIPC7.ini files in the folder, then something is wrong. Check any anti-virus software that may be blocking this.

6 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

Here is the log file

So it was there...why couldn't you find it earlier?

That log file ends after less than a second  (94 milliseconds) and shows nothing. FSUIPC7 was also still running. Unless something is stopping it. Check your anti-virus.

But I don't think it is going to reveal anything anyway. You are using an unregistered version. There is no way your pauses/freezes have anything to do with FSUIPC7.

I have now finished for the day.

John

Thanks, John. Fair enough, the freezes are just a coincidence but is there any reason why fscuipc is launching twice? It only happens with "auto-connect" enabled. When I launched fsuipc manually I didn't get a double launch. The double launch is my issue here. There are no other apps that use fscuipc atm.

26 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

is there any reason why fscuipc is launching twice?

If its launching twice, something is launching it twice...I have no idea what this could be, sorry.

26 minutes ago, Oriel46 said:

It only happens with "auto-connect" enabled.

That is extremely weird...I cannot see how that option can have anything to do with FSUIPC being launched. FSUIPC needs to be running to check that option, and there is no possibility that FSUIPC itself can launch another copy.

Weird, yes, but it is happening. It launches as normal when the sim splash screen appears and half way through loading I get another launch with the "there is already a version of this program open" error message.

No other program has an fscuipc auto-launch. Everything else I use is manually launched once I'm at the gate in the sim.

There's a first time for everything, John. 😉

I understand what is happening, what I am saying is that it is impossible for FSUIPC7 to start another copy of itself (unless you specifically ask it to via the [Programs] section of the ini file). Something else is starting another copy, maybe MSFS, maybe another add-on, I just do not know.

What happens if you remove the start of FSUIPC7 from your EXE.xml - is it still started or are no copies started? Try that. If FSUIPC7 isn't started, add it back and see if that fixes things.

Other than that, I cannot really help. This has nothing to do with FSUIPC7 itself. If two copies are started via the EE.xml (that previous test I mention should tell you this), then maybe ask on the Asobo forums.

John