The simFlight Network Forums

Help please with error code

DEN19

I am trying to allocate a lua script to a button.  The script is a one-liner :-

ipc.writeLvar [“C310_LEFT_FUEL_PUMP”, 0]
end

I keep getting the following error message "*** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC7\C310 Lpump high.lua:1: unexpected symbol near 'â'  which I do not understand.  It is probably something simple but I cannot see it.

Despite several hours of searching here and on tinternet I cannot get rid of the error, can anyone help me please?

John, thanks for the rapid response.

I noticed that you had put an L: in front of the C310 so I pasted your text in and it stopped the error msg, but it still did not work.  I guess the L; was missed because I copied it from the list of Lvars I obtained from the log file after using the "List Lvars" instruction and it wasn't shown there.  I didn't put it in because the Lua Library pdf said it wasn't necessary.

However changing the Lvar to C310_SW_FUEL_PUMP_LEFT did!

I don't follow your comment re the " signs, could you explain for me please?

14 minutes ago, DEN19 said:

I noticed that you had put an L: in front of the C310 so I pasted your text in and it stopped the error msg, but it still did not work.  I guess the L; was missed because I copied it from the list of Lvars I obtained from the log file after using the "List Lvars" instruction and it wasn't shown there.  I didn't put it in because the Lua Library pdf said it wasn't necessary.

The 'L:' is optional - I like to use it - force of habit. Your code was failing for the other reasons I mentioned, not that.

14 minutes ago, DEN19 said:

I don't follow your comment re the " signs, could you explain for me please?

There are various quote signs - if you look at the lua documentation for the ipc.writeLvar function, you will see that the double quotes around name are right and left sloped (i.e. opening and closing double-quotes) - this is what some editors/word processors insert, but for lua code you should just use standard double-quotes. Some folks get in trouble by using the wrong double-quote, which can be difficult to spot.

Please note I am now on holiday until January.

John