The simFlight Network Forums

Having trouble w/FSUIPC on P3Dv5.4

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble with the current version of FSUIPC for P3Dv5.

Context: I have a new PC with P3Dv5.4 installed while I have another PC that has P3Dv4.5 on it. With the current FSUIPC installed on new PC, along with all the hardward (yoke, throttle, etc.) I copied the content in the FSUIPC.ini file that I had for P3Dv4.5 for the Aerosoft A320 professional and pasted it into the FSUIPC.ini for P3Dv.5.  When I start up P3Dv5 and go to FSUIPC, go to the Buttons & Switches tab and select Profile specific? check box, FSUIPC seems to acknowledge the profile. However, the issue I'm currently having is, when I press a function key, for example, if I want to turn off the RWY Turn off lights, by pressing Ctrl + F6,  it should turn off the light like it did in P3Dv4.5 yet nothing happens when I do it in P3Dv5. None of the inputs I do such as moving the yoke, throttle, joystick, I'm not seeing the movements made on the aircraft. Any thoughts?

I know that the .ini for P3Dv4.5, the FSUIPC is out of date and perhaps the detection of my hardward (i.e. yoke, throttle, etc.) is missing, but that's intentional. The hardware is now connected to the new PC and I never bothered to update FSUIPC for P3Dv4.5 because earlier 2023, I was having trouble getting P3Dv4.5 work where it worked one day and all of sudden, it decided not to work. Presumably it a corrupt file somewhere and I wasn't going to figure it out even though I tried some of the troubleshoots to get P3Dv4.5 running.

FSUIPC6 (for P3Dv5).ini FSUIPC6 (for P3Dv5).log FSUIPC6 (for P3Dv4).ini

9 hours ago, raptor84 said:

I copied the content in the FSUIPC.ini file that I had for P3Dv4.5 for the Aerosoft A320 professional and pasted it into the FSUIPC.ini for P3Dv.5. 

You can do this but you need to manually update the [JoyNames] section as your devices GUIDs will have changed. I have done this for you in the attached ini file if you could try it. Any issues, please re-attach your .log and .ini from the same session please.

Note you also need to copy across your lua scripts to the new PC - mainly  My320functions.lua as you have quite a few assignments to that one...

John

FSUIPC6.ini

12 hours ago, John Dowson said:

You can do this but you need to manually update the [JoyNames] section as your devices GUIDs will have changed. I have done this for you in the attached ini file if you could try it. Any issues, please re-attach your .log and .ini from the same session please.

Note you also need to copy across your lua scripts to the new PC - mainly  My320functions.lua as you have quite a few assignments to that one...

John

FSUIPC6.ini 6.02 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try. My lua scripts "My320functions.lau" is already in the new PC. I have it in 3 different places (as seen below) because I mirrored it on how I have it on the other PC, that way FSUIPC is sure to read it. It may be a bit much, but at less I feel safe about it 😁

C:\Users\...\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\FSUIPC6

C:\Users\....\Documents\FSUIPC6

C:\FSUIPC6

15 hours ago, John Dowson said:

John

FSUIPC6.ini 6.02 kB · 1 download

Ok. I tried using the updated FSUIPC6.ini file you gave me. Again, opening up FSUIPC6, Buttons&Switches tab and putting check mark in the Profile specific? box, FSUIPC6 seems to recognize the profile I have "P3D A320" However, in the cockpit, pressing any of the assigned keys I have based off my "My320functions.lua" file (i.e. Ctrl + F7 to turn off Nose Light), nothing happens. I uninstalled FSUIPC6, deleted any folders/files left behind, restarted PC, re-installed FSUIPC6 and placed the updated .ini and My320functions.lua files in the "C:\FSUIPC6" folder, fired up P3Dv5 and opened up FSUIPC from the add-on menu within P3Dv5 and selecting my profile, again FSUIPC6 seems to recognize the profile and yet nothing happens.

Going over the FSUIPC6 log, I see that there may be an error ( *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:191: Event proc not found ). I'm not sure if that's what causing the issue? That LUA file is actually in the C:\FSUIPC6  folder and I don't think the LUA file itself should not be an issue because that's the same LUA file is use in P3Dv4.5. I've attached it for your reference. Perhaps you'll find the error that I can't see.

FSUIPC6.1.log My320functions.lua

13 hours ago, raptor84 said:

I have it in 3 different places (as seen below)

Lua files, by default, should be placed in your FSUIPC6 installation folder.

10 hours ago, raptor84 said:

I see that there may be an error ( *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:191: Event proc not found ). I'm not sure if that's what causing the issue?

Line 191 is:

event.flag(12,"AB_OVH_Ext_LANDING_retract")

There is no such function called AB_OVH_Ext_LANDING_retract in the lua file, hence the error.

10 hours ago, raptor84 said:

Again, opening up FSUIPC6, Buttons&Switches tab and putting check mark in the Profile specific? box, FSUIPC6 seems to recognize the profile I have "P3D A320" However, in the cockpit, pressing any of the assiKeysgned keys I have based off my "My320functions.lua" file (i.e. Ctrl + F7 to turn off Nose Light), nothing happens.

Can you see the assignment to that button in the button assignments window?

Can you set logging for Buttons & Keys as well as Events, and show me an FSUIPC6.log file showing your issue. Also, please attach your FSUIPC6.ini file every time you attach a log file - I need to see these both together to determine what is happening.

Note that you also have another error in your log file:

1110 VRI port 1 "com0" failed to open

John

11 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Lua files, by default, should be placed in your FSUIPC6 installation folder.

Thanks for the reminder. In new PC, I did exactly that, putting my lua file in the installation folder ( C:\FSUIPC6 )

As for the other error below, I don't know what that is. Never had that error or encountered any issues when using P3Dv4.5 (perhaps the reason why it doesn't fully launch anymore, you know, showing my the menu where you select airplane, create flight plan, etc.) If you go back to the beginning of the thread, I provided both my .ini files for P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 and then you replied back in the next post with an updated .ini file to use in P3Dv5 in which I downloaded it and put in the FSUIPC folder. So I don't know where that VRI port error is coming from.

Line 191 is:

event.flag(12,"AB_OVH_Ext_LANDING_retract")

There is no such function called AB_OVH_Ext_LANDING_retract in the lua file, hence the error.

I don't have that function in my lua file then again, I may have taken it out, forgetting the reason why. I've attached both lua files with the dates in the title name. I think what I did was I updated the lua and may have copied the wrong lua and placed it in the FSUIPC folder. The lua file that is working in P3Dv4 (error free when last check on 16May23) is the file name titiled My320functions (04062022).

I'ma go back myself and take a look myself. In fact, the My320functions (04062022) lua, seems to work but I think I got some of my key assignments wrong, for example, Strobe lights not turning on, hmmm... Either way, I've attached the files below and a link to the FSIUPC6 log as well since the file was too big to upload here.

FSUIPC6 log file

My320functions (03272022).txt My320functions (04062022).txt FSUIPC6.ini

8 hours ago, raptor84 said:

This was because you had a VRInsight section in your ini - I have removed this in the ini file attached below.

Looks like the name of your T.16000M Joystick has changed - it was just 'T.16000M' but is now 'T.16000M Joystick'. This is why your assignments to this device were not recognised. I have corrected for this in the ini attached below.

if you are having problems with your lua, try debugging them. I they have errors on your new PC then they would have had errors on your old PC, or they are different scripts...

In the log file you have the following:

830234 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:148: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
   832015 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:148: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
   835984 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:105: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
   843500 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:155: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
  1826890 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:148: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
  1838359 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:162: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
  1845343 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:162: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
  1851672 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:176: attempt to call global 'AB_OVH_Pushbutton' (a nil value)
  1863390 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:176: attempt to call global 'AB_OVH_Pushbutton' (a nil value)
  1863734 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:162: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
  2358078 KEYDOWN: VK=17, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=2
  2358078 .. Key not programmed -- passed on to FS
  2358328 KEYDOWN: VK=116, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=2
  2358328 .. Key not programmed -- passed on to FS
  2358843 KEYDOWN: VK=17, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=2
  2358843 .. Key not programmed -- passed on to FS
  2358984 KEYDOWN: VK=117, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=2
  2358984 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC6 'Keys' options
  2359015 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:176: attempt to call global 'AB_OVH_Pushbutton' (a nil value)
  2359297 KEYDOWN: VK=17, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=2
  2359297 .. Key not programmed -- passed on to FS
  2359437 KEYDOWN: VK=118, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=2
  2359437 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC6 'Keys' options
  2359468 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:162: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)
  2373812 KEYDOWN: VK=112, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=2
  2373812 .. This key is programmed in FSUIPC6 'Keys' options
  2373843 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC6\My320functions.lua:148: attempt to call global 'AB_MPL_LightSwitch' (a nil value)

The lua errors should be obvious - you are using functions AB_MPL_LightSwitch, AB_OVH_Pushbutton and AB_MPL_LightSwitch which are not defined anywhere. This must also have occurred on your old PC, or it is a different script.

And you only have assignments to keys F1, F2, F3, F4, F6 and F7. No assignments to F6 (116) or ctrl (17).

FSUIPC6.ini

8 hours ago, John Dowson said:

This was because you had a VRInsight section in your ini

Well, that's interesting. Does that section automatically in the .ini file?? If that part is in my ini file for P3Dv4.5, never experience any issues with it.

Looks like the name of your T.16000M Joystick has changed - it was just 'T.16000M' but is now 'T.16000M Joystick'. This is why your assignments to this device were not recognised. I have corrected for this in the ini attached below.

Hmmm.... I'm surprised the name of the Joystick got changed. I think the new PC read it differently than what my old PC had read it.

if you are having problems with your lua, try debugging them. If they have errors on your new PC then they would have had errors on your old PC, or they are different scripts...

Remind me again, how do you debug them?? Its been a couple of years and I forgot how. Again, in my old PC, never had any issues so I like to think that it may be a different script?? I mean, new PC is Windows 11 and old PC is Windows 7, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

The lua errors should be obvious - you are using functions AB_MPL_LightSwitch, AB_OVH_Pushbutton and AB_MPL_LightSwitch which are not defined anywhere. This must also have occurred on your old PC, or it is a different script.

And you only have assignments to keys F1, F2, F3, F4, F6 and F7. No assignments to F6 (116) or ctrl (17).

Wow, then something bad really happened when I made copy of my lua file from old PC into new PC because in my old PC, again, everything worked, no issues, no errors. All buttons on  joystick, key assignments I pressed did what they were suppose to do in P3Dv4.5 (old PC). So naturally, I would assume that if I copied the same lua file into new PC (P3Dv5), everything should work as assigned.

Thank you for correcting the ini file. Do I need to have any other file/program installed with FSUIPC6???

14 hours ago, raptor84 said:

Well, that's interesting. Does that section automatically in the .ini file?? If that part is in my ini file for P3Dv4.5, never experience any issues with it.

It does not get added automatically - you must have added this, and it is also in your ini file for P3Dv4. This won't cause any issues, just log a message.

Hmmm.... I'm surprised the name of the Joystick got changed. I think the new PC read it differently than what my old PC had read it.

Probably due to a windows or driver update. Nothing to worry about.

Remind me again, how do you debug them??

Well, any errors are logged with the line number in your FSUIPC5.log file. You can also set logging for lua plugins, which will log each line executed, and you can  send these logging statements to a separate log file if you wish. See the options in FSUIPC's logging tab.

Again, in my old PC, never had any issues so I like to think that it may be a different script??

It must either be a different script, or you would have had the same issues on your old PC. You said they were in 3 places (always a bad idea!) - maybe you copied the wrong one?

I mean, new PC is Windows 11 and old PC is Windows 7, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

No, this would make no difference to this issue, as the issue is missing lua functions.

Wow, then something bad really happened when I made copy of my lua file from old PC into new PC because in my old PC, again, everything worked, no issues, no errors. All buttons on  joystick, key assignments I pressed did what they were suppose to do in P3Dv4.5 (old PC). So naturally, I would assume that if I copied the same lua file into new PC (P3Dv5), everything should work as assigned.

Maybe you copied the wrong ini file as well?

Do I need to have any other file/program installed with FSUIPC6???

That depends....generally not, but, if, for example, you were using GoFlight or PFC devices, then you would also need to install the drivers for these. Your ini also references the following lua files:

[LuaFiles]
1=ipcReady
2=LINDA
3=actions
4=autopilot
5=approach
6=My320functions

So they should be present. However, if you are not using any of these (note that ipcReady.lua will always be started automatically) then you can remove the entries. However, do NOT change the index number of the scripts you are using (My320functions.lua) otherwise the assignments to this script will no longer work.

Are you also using LINDA? If so, make sure that is installed and up-to-date.

9 hours ago, John Dowson said:

[LuaFiles]
1=ipcReady
2=LINDA
3=actions
4=autopilot
5=approach
6=My320functions

So they should be present. However, if you are not using any of these (note that ipcReady.lua will always be started automatically) then you can remove the entries. However, do NOT change the index number of the scripts you are using (My320functions.lua) otherwise the assignments to this script will no longer work.

Are you also using LINDA? If so, make sure that is installed and up-to-date.

I don't have LINDA installed on new PC, so is it ok if I remove it?? How about the actions one? Should I remove that as well?? And if I understood correctly about the index number, if I did remove LINDA and actions, it should look like this below, right?

[LuaFiles]
1=ipcReady
4=autopilot
5=approach
6=My320functions

Going over my lua file last night, I made some updates has I had some key assignment missing (i.e. Ctl+F8) and after making the updates in my lua and ini files, everything now works as they should. Buttons on the joystick I haven't tried yet however I assume everything there is working as they should as well.

Also, I wanted to know if there was an Lvar entry for the predictive windshear (PWS)?? For example, if I were to copy and replace the "GCS" with "PWS", will work FSUIPC recognize it that way if I were to add an assignment key (i.e. if I pressed CTL+F9 ), it could have the PWS switch go from AUTO to OFF??

function AB_WX_GCS_off ()
    ipc.writeLvar("AB_WX_GCS", 0)
    AB_MPL_LightSwitch ()
    DspShow ("GCS", "off")
end

I don't have LINDA installed on new PC, so is it ok if I remove it?

Yes.

How about the actions one? Should I remove that as well??

Yes - remove all entries for scripts not installed.

if I did remove LINDA and actions, it should look like this below, right?

[LuaFiles]
1=ipcReady
4=autopilot
5=approach
6=My320functions

Yes. Or maybe just:

[LuaFiles]
6=My320functions

Also, I wanted to know if there was an Lvar entry for the predictive windshear (PWS)??

I don't know...try listing the lvars to see what is available.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:49 AM, John Dowson said:
On 1/18/2024 at 11:11 AM, raptor84 said:

Also, I wanted to know if there was an Lvar entry for the predictive windshear (PWS)??

I don't know...try listing the lvars to see what is available.

I did try using the Lvar function AB_WX_GCS_off replacing "GCS" with "PWS" and it works. Tried it a few times. I assume the function AB_WX_PWS_on and function AB_WX_PWS_toggle will work as well.

function AB_WX_PWS_off ()
    ipc.writeLvar("AB_WX_PWS", 0)
    AB_MPL_LightSwitch ()
    DspShow ("PWS", "off")
end