The simFlight Network Forums

"Roving" Controller Detection Failure

vanislepilot

Hi,

I have a fairly extensive home cockpit setup with several USB controllers, and for a while, I had noticed that FSUIPC was no longer detecting axis movement and button presses on my Thrustmaster Warthog Throttles. I made do, and after a recent update (I updated Windows and FSUIPC to the latest release version), the Warthog Throttles movements were detected by FSUIPC again.

However, at that point, I noticed that one of my CAT3 Design tillers was no-longer detected when attempting to move the axis and pressing buttons. I removed both tiller devices from the Windows devices app and then reconnected them, and now I find that they both are detected by FSUIPC but my Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick is now no longer detected.

Hence this "roving" detection failure.

The problem appears unique to FSUIPC, as Windows detects all controller axis moves and buttons presses, as does MSFS and spad.

I have already tried using JoyID as recommended in your FAQ, to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Regards,

Troy

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv HIDscanner_log.txt

1 hour ago, vanislepilot said:

but my Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick is now no longer detected.

But this is detected with id of 2 and joyletter B:

203 Device acquired for use:
      203    Joystick ID = 2 (Registry okay)
      203    2=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
      203    2.GUID={F73ABB90-4B37-11EE-8003-444553540000}

2=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
2.GUID={F73ABB90-4B37-11EE-8003-444553540000}
B=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
B.GUID={F73ABB90-4B37-11EE-8003-444553540000}

Can you not see this device in the button/axes assignments dialog boxes? What do you see in the assignment panels when you press a button or move an axis on this device?

Your log is quite strange in that it shows a lot of device scanning going on - what were you doing?

Your files do show a conflict, but between your throttleTek 3 and Fulcrum One Yoke, with both being assigned the same id:

1350094    WARNING: Joystick ID 12 is duplicated in Registry
  1350094 Device acquired for use:
  1350094    Joystick ID = 12 (Registry okay)
  1350094    12=Fulcrum One Yoke
  1350094    12.GUID={F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8007-444553540000}
  1350094    Joystick ID = 12 (Registry okay)
  1350094    12=throttleTek 3
  1350094    12.GUID={F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8007-444553540000}

and also between the throttleTek 3 and one of your T-Pendular-Rudder:

1350094    Joystick ID = 6 (Registry okay)
  1350094    6=T-Pendular-Rudder
  1350094    6.GUID={F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8009-444553540000}
  1350094    Joystick ID = 6 (Registry okay)
  1350094    6=throttleTek 3
  1350094    6.GUID={F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8009-444553540000}

To correct this, you should disconnect the throttleTek 3, remove the registry entries for this device, reboot and then reconnect it.
To remove the registry entries, first run regedit and take a back-up of your registry, You can then run the attached script which should remove the entries for that device.

Once you have rebooted and reconnected, start FSUIPC7 and exit, then show me your log, ini and JoyScan.csv files again.

Your ini file also shows that you have no assignments (button, key or axis) to any device, and no lua scripts are started (except ipcReady). 

removeDevices.reg

LATER: don't do this yet!! See below....

Edited by John Dowson
Later added

1 hour ago, vanislepilot said:

I have already tried using JoyID as recommended in your FAQ, to no avail.

What did you actually do with this? Looking at your ini, looks like all your GUIDs/Names don't match...
I think I also need to update your FSUIPC7.ini....but to do this I need to know how you have assigned anything.
It may be worth cleaning the registry of all devices, disconnecting everything and starting again....But if you are using assignments somehere, I need to know the ids or letters you are using for each device so I can update your ini  file.....

Current update:

Unfortunately, I saw your update too late, but it looks like fixing the registry for the ThrottleTek solved the "roving" detection failure issue. I am now registering axis movement on all controllers.

I replaced the ini file I sent you with the backup I had of all my programmed controls, and then re-ran FSUIPC, so all of the assignments appear to be mismatched and I'll need to fix those, but hopefully it'll give you what you need for the ini update you mentioned?

Many thanks

Troy

Original draft of response (prior to removeDevices):

29 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Can you not see this device in the button/axes assignments dialog boxes? What do you see in the assignment panels when you press a button or move an axis on this device?

Correct. When moving axes and selecting buttons, simply nothing appears, although as you said, FSUIPC has detected the controller (just not registering axis and button use) image.thumb.png.3108d52f785f12605b55e049a1507220.png

29 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Your log is quite strange in that it shows a lot of device scanning going on - what were you doing?

To verify my ini file wasn't corrupted in any way, I deleted my original and let FSUIPC build a new one (which is why there are no assignments). All I did was start FSUIPC and then close it in the files I sent you, so not sure what is causing all the device scanning.

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv

Not sure if it helps for your analysis, but for my rig set-up, I have dual controls (i.e. two physical controllers) for both of:

- Thrustmaster Pendular Pedals

-CAT3 Tiller (for some reason it is showing up as an FO tiller twice)

... for left seat and right seat etc

Edit:

Attached is a "clean build" ini file after the regedit...

FSUIPC7.ini

Edited by vanislepilot

I keep spending time analyzing and changing your files, and then you post new ones and I have to start again...
Can you please do nothing until I have had time to post you some files to test....

26 minutes ago, vanislepilot said:

Attached is a "clean build" ini file after the regedit...

What do you mean by this? There is no pointing attaching just an ini, I need to see all 3 files together. Anyway, I will ignore this file - I need to sort this out in a file with your assignments, if you want your assignments to work....

Please hold off on posting further until I report back....

Btw, I haven't changed anything yet for your 'VPC Panel #1' devices (2 of them) or your 'Landing Gear Lever' - do you have any assignments to these, and if so what (i.e. which letter or id were they using)?

FYI, I mapped the devices as:
               D & G: rudders
               A & F: yokes
               C & K: tillers
               L:   throttle
               B & H: stick

If any if that looks incorrect, let me know.

All looks good John - many thanks. I hope that wasn't too painful and you sure saved me a lot of work!

Attached are the files you requested. I was not using VPC or Gear Lever with FSUIPC. I just remapped a few L throttle commands to  M (throttleTek) as a that was the correct one for my setup.

Many thanks again!

Troy

9 minutes ago, vanislepilot said:

All looks good John - many thanks. I hope that wasn't too painful and you sure saved me a lot of work!

Ok, great!

10 minutes ago, vanislepilot said:

I was not using VPC or Gear Lever with FSUIPC

Ok, so that makes sense (i.e. no assignments).

10 minutes ago, vanislepilot said:

I just remapped a few L throttle commands to  M (throttleTek) as a that was the correct one for my setup.

Ah, ok - I wasn't sure which of your throttles the assignments were using. Seems like you have no assignments to L (Throttle - HOTAS Warthog) then. For future reference, you could have switched these by just switching around the L/M letters in the [JoyNames] section, rather than changing the letter in each assignment.

Anyway, your files look good - glad its all now working again!

Cheers,

John

John,

Unfortunately I have to request your assistance on this one again, as I'm encountering the same problem. I believe your solution works; however, I added a parking brake controller to my setup recently, as the brake handle on the ThrottleTek broke internally.

I seem to recall the addition of new hardware to have consistently caused this issue in the past. Fortunately aside from this case of replacing broken hardware, my set-up is "feature complete".

With this new addition, my Agronn yoke is now missing from the list of controller IDs.

My preferred setup is as follows:

JoyName Device
A AGRONN B737 Yoke V2.2
B Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
C Cat3Design A320 Capt Tiller V2
D T-Pendular-Rudder - Capt
E VPC Panel #1
F Fulcrum One Yoke
G T-Pendular-Rudder - FO
H LEFT VPC Stick MT-50CM2
I  
J Landing Gear Lever
K Cat3Design A320 FO Tiller V2
L Throttle - HOTAS Warthog
M throttleTek 3

and the new parking brake could be whatever.

As before, I did notice a duplicate ID in one of the T-Pendular rudders this time, so I followed the removesDevices steps, but it seems like there is still a duplication problem.

I will be away for a bit, so I will not have time to test whatever you send my way for some days.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Troy

20 hours ago, vanislepilot said:

As before, I did notice a duplicate ID in one of the T-Pendular rudders this time, so I followed the removesDevices steps,

But did you change the script to remove the conflicting device? You cannot use the same script - it needs to be adjusted to the device that is giving the problem...

20 hours ago, vanislepilot said:

I will be away for a bit, so I will not have time to test whatever you send my way for some days.

I will look at your new files tomorrow or early next week and advise...

John

On 2/23/2024 at 9:32 PM, vanislepilot said:

My preferred setup is as follows:

JoyName Device
A AGRONN B737 Yoke V2.2
B Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
C Cat3Design A320 Capt Tiller V2
D T-Pendular-Rudder - Capt
E VPC Panel #1
F Fulcrum One Yoke
G T-Pendular-Rudder - FO
H LEFT VPC Stick MT-50CM2
I  
J Landing Gear Lever
K Cat3Design A320 FO Tiller V2
L Throttle - HOTAS Warthog
M throttleTek 3

and the new parking brake could be whatever.

Sorry, but this makes no sense according to your current assignments in you latest ini:
    A=Cat3Design A320 FO Tiller V2
    B=Cat3Design A320 FO Tiller V2
    C=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
    D=T-Pendular-Rudder
    E=VPC Panel #1
    F=Landing Gear Lever
    G=throttleTek 3
    H=LEFT VPC Stick MT-50CM2
    J=Throttle - HOTAS Warthog
    K=Parking Brake
    M=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >> << MISSING JOYSTICK >>

and these are now completely different from your previous working ini:

A=AGRONN B737 Yoke V2.2
    B=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
    C=Cat3Design A320 FO Tiller V2
    D=T-Pendular-Rudder
    E=VPC Panel #1
    F=Fulcrum One Yoke
    G=T-Pendular-Rudder
    H=LEFT VPC Stick MT-50CM2
    K=Cat3Design A320 FO Tiller V2
    L=Throttle - HOTAS Warthog
    J=Landing Gear Lever
   M=throttleTek 3

FSUIPC does not change device letters, so you must have done this - why? 

And why are you specifying a 'preferred setup)? Once you have assigned a letter to a device, you should stick with that - so why is your "preferred setup" so different from the last ini you attached, but is the same as your last "working" ini?

Are you manually editing the ini, or starting without an ini to generate a new one, then cutting and pasting? 

Edited by John Dowson
Further info added

Maybe worth going back to your previous/last working ini and forgetting about the last one you attached, Use that, start FSUIPC7 and exit and then attach your files again, and I can look into any issues with those. Looks like we might need to remove some registry entries again - these look to be incorrect:

Wrong GUIDs:
   N, x00, x04D8, xF30F, AGRONN B737 Yoke V2.2, -1, -1, 1, {NULL}, {F73B7EE0-4B37-11EE-8013-444553540000}, {NULL}, N, N
   N, x00, x044F, x0402, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, -1, 2, 0, {NULL}, {F73ABB90-4B37-11EE-8003-444553540000}, {F73ABB90-4B37-11EE-8003-444553540000}, Y, Y 
   N, x00, x0000, x0000, Fulcrum One Yoke, -1, 12, 0, {NULL}, {89A3AE10-D256-11EE-8002-444553540000}, {NULL}, N, N
   N, x00, x2356, x8046, Landing Gear Lever, -1, 5, 0, {NULL}, {F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8008-444553540000}, {F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8008-444553540000}, Y, Y

Wrong GUIDs, multiple entries:
    N, x00, x16D0, x3530, Parking Brake, -1, 10, 1, {NULL}, {F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8009-444553540000}, {F73B09B0-4B37-11EE-8009-444553540000}, Y, Y
    N, x00, x16D0, x3530, Parking Brake, -1, 12, 0, {NULL}, {89A3AE10-D256-11EE-8002-444553540000}, {NULL}, N, N
...etc

No idea how your registry got into such a mess again. May be easier to remove everything and start again, but lets look at your files when using your previous working ini first...

John

Hi John... the "preferred set-up" was just a list I kept of the assignments that we sorted out last time with the last working ini (prior to adding the new parking brake controller). By maintaining those letter designations for each controller, it ensures that my aircraft-specific calibrations will correspond the correct control.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:01 AM, John Dowson said:

Are you manually editing the ini, or starting without an ini to generate a new one, then cutting and pasting

After noticing several controllers were assigned duplicate letters, I was starting without an ini file, allowing FSUIPC to generate a new one to see what a fresh start would achieve.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:21 AM, John Dowson said:

Maybe worth going back to your previous/last working ini and forgetting about the last one you attached, Use that, start FSUIPC7 and exit and then attach your files again

Please see the new files you requested as per above attached.

FYI, these are the assignments from the last working ini file prior to running it in FSUIPC:

image.png.e0c655a0c4026fddda03702f68ca11cd.png

Thanks for your continued help,

Troy

16 hours ago, vanislepilot said:

After noticing several controllers were assigned duplicate letters, I was starting without an ini file, allowing FSUIPC to generate a new one to see what a fresh start would achieve.

This is a very bad idea - please do not do this again...

Your registry is in a complete mess now, with many of the GUIDs associated to your deices being wrong.
This issue may now take quite a few iterations to get things back in order.

First, we'll try and remove all the dodgy registry entries and see if they can be regenerated correctly. Take a backup of your registry, and then please disconnect the following devices:
    Fulcrum One Yoke
    Parking Brake
    Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
    AGRONN B737 Yoke V2.2
    Cat3Design A320 FO Tiller V2
    Landing Gear Lever

Then run this attached .reg file to remove the registry entries for those devices: removeDevices.reg

Reboot and  re-attach those devices.
Download and use the attached FSUIPC7.ini: FSUIPC7.ini

Then run FSUIPC7 and exit, and show me/attach those 3 files again.

Is your "throttleTek 3" device no longer connected?

There also seems to be an issue with your new parking brake, as windows is reporting the same GUID for this device as one of your T-Pendular-Rudders:

N, x00, x044F, xB68F, , -1, -1, 0, {NULL}, {NULL}, {F73AE2A0-4B37-11EE-8006-444553540000}, Y, N
N, x00, x16D0, x3530, , -1, -1, 0, {NULL}, {NULL}, {F73AE2A0-4B37-11EE-8006-444553540000}, Y, N

GUIDs are supposed to be unique...not sure what is going on here or what can be done about it....lets wait and see what your updated files say....
However, may be best to leave this disconnected for the moment, and we can add this back once we have corrected the rest of your devices.

John

Understood. Just before starting your procedure, I disconnected the parking brake and replaced the ini with the last working, and it seems that all is fine, but without the parking brake.

And yes, I am still using the ThrottleTek. I believe it was accidentally disconnected which is why it didn't appear in the last ini - apologies.

These are the files with the last working ini and parking brake disconnected. Not sure about registries but all seems to be fine in terms of programming each controller with FSUIPC.

Should I proceed with your removeDevices procedure or attempt to turn on the parking brake again and see what we get?

Thanks,

Troy

20 minutes ago, vanislepilot said:

I disconnected the parking brake and replaced the ini with the last working, and it seems that all is fine, but without the parking brake.

Yes, your files look ok again now... Isn't this what you did last time, except for keeping the Parking brake connected? 

15 minutes ago, vanislepilot said:

Should I proceed with your removeDevices procedure or attempt to turn on the parking brake again and see what we get?

No, no need to run that script at the moment - the Parking Brake doesn't even appear in your registry anymore.

Try re-connecting the parking brake again and lets see what we get...

John

Actually may be worth removing the registry entries of the Parking Brake first....ah, too late.

Please do what you did before - disconnected the parking brake and replaced the ini with the last working one and check that all is ok again.
Then, before re-connecting the parking brake, run the attach script and then reboot.

removeDevices.reg

Did you run that .reg script? If so, it is just adding the same entries back.
Not sure what to advise, except to go unplug again and go back to your previous working ini - you should do this each time if/when you connect the parking brake and get issues.

Maybe try connecting it to a different USB socket or hub to see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, I am not sure what to advise, sorry. I will have a think and get back to you sometime next week,,,

John