The simFlight Network Forums

Hotkey pass-through

pointy56

I am using FSUIPC7 with MSFS to support PF3, and am finding that some hotkeys seem to be being passed through to the FS although they are configured to not do so.
The specific key combinations are Ctrl/Shift/N and Ctrl/Shift/Y - I have managed to disable C/S/N in the FS, but cannot 'find' the binding for C/S/Y to disable it (really helpful!).
I cannot be sure, but I don't think I was seeing this until fairly recently; over the past few weeks I have updated several times and am now on 7.4.8.
The attached log shows a series of C/S/N hotkeys followed by two C/S/Y hotkeys (the second is solely to toggle the effect of the first one in the FS!) - timestamp 4454609 onwards.
Is the behaviour that I am seeing expected or a known issue?

One other minor thing: The hotkey table near the start of the log doesn't seem to show the 'Shifts' byte correctly; this may be because of the way PF3 loads the entries.
(The second attached file shows a dump that I took from the hotkey area after PF3 was loaded, and shows the  Shifts byte that has been set for each entry)

Thanks,
Martin

FSUIPC7-log.zip PF3-Hotkeys.txt

40 minutes ago, pointy56 said:

I am using FSUIPC7 with MSFS to support PF3, and am finding that some hotkeys seem to be being passed through to the FS although they are configured to not do so.

But MSFS will receive all key presses. FSUIPC receives key presses from MSFS and will then act on them if assigned, it cannot prevent MSFS seeing these key presses. This is necessarily different in FSUIPC7/MSFS than in previous versions as FSUIPC7 is a separate executable, so it can no longer directly receive the key presses from windows when MSFS has the focus, it can only get them via SimConnect. Therefore how have you configured 'to not do so'?

54 minutes ago, pointy56 said:

I have managed to disable C/S/N in the FS, but cannot 'find' the binding for C/S/Y to disable it (really helpful!).

Then there probably isn't one! Just checked here and there is no default binding for that key combination.

1 hour ago, pointy56 said:

I cannot be sure, but I don't think I was seeing this until fairly recently; over the past few weeks I have updated several times and am now on 7.4.8.
The attached log shows a series of C/S/N hotkeys followed by two C/S/Y hotkeys (the second is solely to toggle the effect of the first one in the FS!) - timestamp 4454609 onwards.
Is the behaviour that I am seeing expected or a known issue?

The log looks fine to me...

1 hour ago, pointy56 said:

One other minor thing: The hotkey table near the start of the log doesn't seem to show the 'Shifts' byte correctly; this may be because of the way PF3 loads the entries.
(The second attached file shows a dump that I took from the hotkey area after PF3 was loaded, and shows the  Shifts byte that has been set for each entry)

I wouldn't worry about this if its working...FSUIPC is just logging what it sees. I suspect that this is just the way PG3 loads/adds the entries, as you say...

John

Hi John,
Thank you for clarifying a number of things that are specific to FSUIPC7 - as you say this is necessarily different to previous versions, but I was basing my questions on the documentation.  Specifically, both the latest offsets list and the Programmers guide still say:
Byte 2 (bits 16-23): Flags from application.
Bit 1 (2)= set if Hot Key should be passed through to FS, else it will be trapped.

So my understanding was that not setting this bit, and PF3 does not, prevents the keystroke being passed through to the FS - clearly this is not relevant with FSUIPC7.
I'm sorry if I missed this specific hotkey handling difference with FSUIPC7 somewhere else in the documentation.
But the log entry also made me think that the old action was still the case:
4454609 - no pass through (not checking FSUIPC assignments)

I have spent days trying to identify why C/S/Y causes a view change, when I couldn't find the binding.
Someone in the MSFS support forum suggested that it was incorrectly taking C/S/Y as plain 'Y' and I've just found that removing that binding (Slew) fixes the problem.
So I'll be logging this issue as a bug with Asobo.

Thanks again for your patience and explanation of the differences with FSUIPC7.
Martin

4 hours ago, pointy56 said:

Thank you for clarifying a number of things that are specific to FSUIPC7 - as you say this is necessarily different to previous versions, but I was basing my questions on the documentation.  Specifically, both the latest offsets list and the Programmers guide still say:
Byte 2 (bits 16-23): Flags from application.
Bit 1 (2)= set if Hot Key should be passed through to FS, else it will be trapped.

So my understanding was that not setting this bit, and PF3 does not, prevents the keystroke being passed through to the FS - clearly this is not relevant with FSUIPC7.
I'm sorry if I missed this specific hotkey handling difference with FSUIPC7 somewhere else in the documentation.

I will update the documentation.

4 hours ago, pointy56 said:

But the log entry also made me think that the old action was still the case:
4454609 - no pass through (not checking FSUIPC assignments)

This is different -  it passing the keypress through to the FSUIPC assignments, It will still go to the FS and trigger any assignments there,

I will clarify in the documentation.

John