The simFlight Network Forums

Clouds forming from the ground up - bug -

Hi Pete,

There is a nagging bug with FS9 where the clouds in areas high above sea level (i.e. Denver, Calgary) form from the ground up and I was wondering if there are any settings within FSUIPC which could alieviate this issue?

Interestingly enough, when weather is first loaded in the sim (using the stock weather engine) the clouds appear fine and at proper altitude but as time goes by, the begin forming from the ground and I have to re-download the weather to get them at proper altitude.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

MIke

There is a nagging bug with FS9 where the clouds in areas high above sea level (i.e. Denver, Calgary) form from the ground up and I was wondering if there are any settings within FSUIPC which could alieviate this issue?

No, sorry. FSUIPC at present can't get inside the engine to be able to affect clouds nor winds. So far it's only the visibility I seem to be able to play with.

I don't even know the exact cause. I thought it was to do with nearby weather stations not always having specific weather supplied and so making do with the "global" weather. Global weather is based on sea level, so any "global" clouds would tend to be too low -- cloud bases in METARs are AGL.

However, others who have apparently spoken to Microsoft about this say that it is due to bugs in the downloaded METAR data (and that they are trying to get it fixed). However ...

Interestingly enough, when weather is first loaded in the sim (using the stock weather engine) the clouds appear fine and at proper altitude but as time goes by, the begin forming from the ground and I have to re-download the weather to get them at proper altitude.

... I've not heard of that. Others seem to say they are wrong on the download too. Maybe your low clouds are realy blowing in from other parts?

Regards,

Pete