The simFlight Network Forums

A new question for FSUIPC and reverse

Hello,

I read the previous posts about this famous topic, and tried to find any solution in manuals (pdf and doc advanced users ...) but i'm almost sure i have a new question :roll:

First, i specify that i have the registered FSUIPC 3 updated, and FS9.

I have one axis throttle on my saitek X45. I would like to push one button to activate reverse, and then push the throttle to set full power reverse.

Is this possible with FSUIPC ? Because it's possible with A320 Pilot In Command / options setup joystick axes, that works like FSUIPC. In this case, so only for A320 PIC i'm able to push one button, reverse are activated and flaps open, then i push the throttle to slow down.

With FSUIPC, actually, i can either

- set F2 function to one button (repeat while held + F1 called when released)

- or set a new idle position to my throttle axis push to set forward thrust, pull to set reverse

If my above question is not possible today with FSUIPC, will FSUIPC future updates may include this ? I think it is possible, Anticyclone (A320 PIC developers) did it.

If you don't add this feature, that's ok, i'll try the second option, because i learnt today i can set a null zone around idle position. That was my fear, to have an idle hard to set during flight operations.

Thanks you Pete, keep up the good work !

Sebastien, Paris, France

Fr.Simflight staff editor

I have one axis throttle on my saitek X45. I would like to push one button to activate reverse, and then push the throttle to set full power reverse.

Is this possible with FSUIPC ?

No, there's no such facility in FSUIPC at present. In fact it has never been asked for, at least not a direct switch-over like that.

Because it's possible with A320 Pilot In Command / options setup joystick axes, that works like FSUIPC. In this case, so only for A320 PIC i'm able to push one button, reverse are activated and flaps open, then i push the throttle to slow down.

Well, I assume some of that is to do with Airbus automation / fly-by-wire. It certainly isn't realistic for all that to happen on one button push in any of the aircraft I know, but then I know little about Airbuses I'm afraid.

What direction does the throttle operate in to control reverse thrust? Surely not push forward for increased reversed thrust? That seems rather non-intuitive.

The FSUIPC provisions allow for the IDLE to be set a chosen distance up the axis, so that when the throttle lever is pulled all the way back it provides full reverse.

With FSUIPC, actually, i can either

- set F2 function to one button (repeat while held + F1 called when released)

- or set a new idle position to my throttle axis push to set forward thrust, pull to set reverse

Exactly.

If my above question is not possible today with FSUIPC, will FSUIPC future updates may include this ? I think it is possible, Anticyclone (A320 PIC developers) did it.

It is certainly possibly to provide controls to re-assign axis uses, or simply to change the range of axes, as you seem to want. However, to provide general programing facilities like that with an easy-to-use interface is not a small job.

For some time now I have had on my list a project for a separate module, or even program, to not only allow dynamic reprogramming, but also for having variable response curves and keystoke emission at different axis values (for Airbus throttle detente type operation. However, that's a big project to undertake and there's been too much other work to attend to.

I'm not really sure of the true usefulness of just having the throttle being a foward axis or reverse axis, expecially not with the confusion of reversal of direction, but I can consider it. On the whole I would rather leave it and do things more comprehensively, later, when I get the time.

If you don't add this feature, that's ok, i'll try the second option, because i learnt today i can set a null zone around idle position. That was my fear, to have an idle hard to set during flight operations.

Yes, that is important. You need a reliable non-jittery area for idle. Best to glue a small piece of rubber (say) onto the axis slot as a sort of "detente", just offering a little resistance so you can "feel" the throttle into idle from either forward or reverse settings.

Regards,

Pete

I like the rubber idea to fix an idle detente feeling when my throttle goes through :)

I assume that the fact to switch a button and then push the throttle to set reverse thrust is not realistic, nor for Airbus throttle systems. Just i tried this way with A320 PIC; and i felt it easy. Pushing the throttle to set reverse thrust didn't trouble me, i've never been a real pilot :oops:

Thanks Pete,

Regards,

Sebastien.