The simFlight Network Forums

Weather Themes

Pete,

I have a registered version of FSUIPC 3.14, and I seem to be unable to select a Weather theme. The dialogue in FS always goes back to user defined.

I know there was a problem with this before, and I have tried the 'Allow changes to FS own weather' setting under the Technical tab, both ticked and unticked.

It doesn't seem to make any difference. Can you help ?

(Weather themes are useful when I can't dial up to get real world weather)

Pete,

Another observation.

If I boot FS cleanly, with the 'Allow Changes to FS own weather' option unchecked, I can select a theme quite happily.

If I select the box, FS defaults to 'User defined Weather'

If un-select the box, without changing anything else, or re-starting FS, I still can't select another weather theme. FS defaults to user defined.

If I re-start FS, I can select another theme.

I found all this out because I ran FSMeteo to download some real weather, but it failed to get a connection because my phone was in use. I decided to select weather theme instead, but I couldn't because of the problem above.

It seems that once an external program has tried to set the weather, unless I re-start FS, I can't select a weather theme.

I have a registered version of FSUIPC 3.14, and I seem to be unable to select a Weather theme. The dialogue in FS always goes back to user defined.

I know there was a problem with this before, and I have tried the 'Allow changes to FS own weather' setting under the Technical tab, both ticked and unticked.

It doesn't seem to make any difference. Can you help ?

The weather will ALWAYS default to user defined if you tick the "allow changes". Otherwise it will only do this if you have something else manipulating the weather through FSUIPC. If unticking that option doesn't help then something else is doing it.

If you wish to make sure that all the other options in FSUIPC are defaulted, either delete your FSUIPC INI file before loading FS, or pressing one of the buttons on the About page in the options.

Regards,

Pete

If I boot FS cleanly, with the 'Allow Changes to FS own weather' option unchecked, I can select a theme quite happily.

If I select the box, FS defaults to 'User defined Weather'

Yes, of course. Don't select it then. :wink:

If un-select the box, without changing anything else, or re-starting FS, I still can't select another weather theme. FS defaults to user defined.

I cannot reproduce this here with default weather settings in FSUIPC, but with any of the weather options selected, you would need to reload the current flight (Ctrl+;) or load a new one in order to reset the weather engine -- I think it is probably still assuming something has changed it outside the current "theme" -- which it has, actually.

I found all this out because I ran FSMeteo to download some real weather, but it failed to get a connection because my phone was in use. I decided to select weather theme instead, but I couldn't because of the problem above.

You don't need (or want) to select the "Allow Changes" option just to use an outside weather source -- that only affects FS's own "global" weather in any case, which won't apply if you use an outside source.

It seems that once an external program has tried to set the weather, unless I re-start FS, I can't select a weather theme.

You don't need to restart FS, only reload the flight (Ctrl+;) or select a new one.

By the way, exactly the same consideration applies to FS itself, without FSUIPC. If you go into the weather menu and select "user defined weather", then "customize weather" and go and change something, you then cannot select a Theme until you reset or reload a flight.

In other words it is a function of how the themes work in FS -- you either have themes or you don't. If you do but then change something, the weather engine cannot continue the theme operation until it is reset. I think only loading a flight resets it.

Regards,

Pete