The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with Multiple INI Installation in FS2004

I recently switched from FS2002 to FS2004 and have purchased the latest FSUIPC.

In FS2002, I am able to have 2 INI installations by following the directions given in the "FSUIPC for Advanced Users" and everything works fine.

But in FS2004, while the default installation (using FSUIPC.cfg) works fine, the second installation (using FSUIPC_JOY.cfg) gives an error message - 'The requested flight file is corrupt or can't be found. .. '

1) I have /CFG: FSUIPC_JOY.cfg added to the command line parameter for the shortcut for FS9.

2) I have added;

[FSUIPC]

ControlName=FSUIPC_JOY

to the additional FS9_JOY.cfg file in the C:\Documents and Settings\Pramod Mathur\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\ folder

I added it at the top of the .cfg file - is it OK?

Can you please tell me what am I doing wrong?

But in FS2004, while the default installation (using FSUIPC.cfg) works fine, the second installation (using FSUIPC_JOY.cfg) gives an error message - 'The requested flight file is corrupt or can't be found. .. '

1) I have /CFG: FSUIPC_JOY.cfg added to the command line parameter for the shortcut for FS9.

Since FS2004 has changed pretty much everything about where what files are stored I think there will be difficulties with this. Are you sure the /CFG: command line option actually does anything in FS2004? I couldn't get any of that to work here at all.

The message you are getting is to do with FS, not FSUIPC. Maybe files have to be in different places for things to work. I haven't enough time today to experiment again with this, but I'll make a note to try it all again soon.

There was another thread on the same question, but I think the writer found and alternative method to do what he wanted. What is your need for separate FSUIPC INI files? Maybe there's another solution.

Regards,

Pete

2) I have added;

[FSUIPC]

ControlName=FSUIPC_JOY

to the additional FS9_JOY.cfg file in the C:\Documents and Settings\Pramod Mathur\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\ folder

Okay .... there's something odd in FS2004 which I don't understand yet. The /CFG: facility does appear to work in a fashion now I've done more tests. But FSUIPC cannot read the [FSUIPC] section from this -- the FS routine it calls is providing the value from the regular FS9.CFG even though it, itself, seems to be using the named CFG -- at least for some things it is.

I'm actually wondering now whether Microsoft had forgotten about the /CFG: facility, when making other changes, and that selecting this makes some parts of FS read the original CFG and other parts read the new one. Certainly that is looking the case from my tests so far.

If I add your [FSUIPC] section to the regular FS9.CFG file, it works -- FSUIPC then uses the new ControlName for its INI, LOG and KEY file.

I'll look for a solution but at present it doesn't look promising.

Regards,

Pete

2) I have added;

[FSUIPC]

ControlName=FSUIPC_JOY

Right! I've sussed it! :D

When you provide a /CFG:parameter to FS9, it looks for the new CFG file, NOT in the "usual" folder (usual for FS9), but in the FS9 folder, where the CFGs always used to be! If it doesn't find it it creates a new one, in that folder, using the name you gave. Everything will therefore return to default -- I assume the FLT file error you got was because you'd deleted the standard default FLT that FS installs.

If you place your alternative CFG file into the main FS9 folder the [FSUIPC] ControlName facility works well.

Please note that, when you do this, ALL of FSUIPC's ancillary files use the new name -- FSUIPC.INI, LOG and KEY. So in your case, not only will you want to make your alternative FSUIPC_JOY.INI, but also you'll need a copy of your FSUIPC.KEY file renamed to FSUIPC_JOY.KEY.

Phew! I was a bit concerned with this facility before I discovered this oddity. I will make a note about it in the FSUIPC Advanced User's Guide.

Regards,

Pete