The simFlight Network Forums

simple question... big confusion

I apologize as I am not clear on this simple isse.

At many locations within the dropdown menus, there are references to 'global wx or externally supplied wx'.

question; can I assume that FSMETEO is 'externally supplied wx' and that all associated menu options will work when FSMETEO is in use?

thanks

Mike

p.s. I am trying to track down an annoying visual effect when flying that shows a large translucent white square directly under my plane (and moves with it), about ground level that is about 60 x 60 miles (visibility?). Does not always happen but about 75% of the time, with or without FSMETEO. If I find that FSUIPC has an effect I will get back here and post up, thanks.

Hi Mike,

I may be wrong but I think what you are seeing here is the top of the visibility layer. It has been a major complaint about FS2002 that you had a clear vision of the ground as soon as you got above the vis layer, even if the visibility was very low within the layer. That's wy MS put a sort of thin cloud layer at the top of the vis layer which is meant to prevent the ground from being seen when above the vis layer.

You can reduce this problem by using the BlueSphere textures by Gerrit Kranenbarg but it is a compromise.

Have a look here:

http://members.chello.nl/g.kranenbarg/gwkhome/BlueSphere.htm

and here:

http://www.flightsim-forum.com/flight-simulator/Blue_Sphere_textures__any_good_124416.html

If you have Chris Willis' replacement clouds installed, reinstall them after BlueShpere installation because they are overwritten.

Hope that helps,

Frank

I already have both of those installed. You may be correct, but I cannot recall seeing this 'square' effect prior to installing the latest FSUIPC. I have gone back to the previous, but the effect is still there. Again, you may be right, but does your visibility layer actually form a square on or close to the ground plane?? There is some number or toggle somwhere that controls this, must be. This is a recent problem for me.

Very strange, I think I am going to have to post an image of this over at AVSIM. Both day and night, it ruins any visuals for flights above 5-6 thousand feet, just looks bizzare.

Mike,

I myself have actually never seen this issue except when flying in the mountains. But I remember that on the german FS newsgroup a few simmers reported that this moving white area below the plane had gone after installing BlueSphere. I can't imagine how FSUIPC should introduce this, but just to make sure, backup your FSUIPC.ini and let FSUIPC build a new one and check all the visibility options.

Regards,

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

again, I apologize as I am not clear on this simple isse.

At many locations within the dropdown menus, there are references to 'global wx or externally supplied wx'.

question: can I assume that FSMETEO is 'externally supplied wx' and that all associated menu options will work when FSMETEO is in use?

anyone?

thanks

Mike

question: can I assume that FSMETEO is 'externally supplied wx' and that all associated menu options will work when FSMETEO is in use?

Yes, except for the pressure and wind smoothing options which only apply to global weather, which isn't really used in FS2004. But note also that FSMeteo does take control over some of the options. When it does so they will appear disabled in FSUIPC's options, but you should be able to alter them in FSMeteo's options.

The three visibility options marked *** are otherwuse universally available. With those I managed to find a way to get around the weather setting business and tackle the actual visibility being set. I only wish I could do that with the winds, pessure and clouds too.

Regards,

Pete