The simFlight Network Forums

Axis for cowl faps?

I'm using FSUIPC ver. 3.135 (registered) and Dreamfleet Cessna 177 Cardinal. I have CH Yoke (with axes for throttle, propeller and mixture) and CH Pro Pedals (with differential brakes).

Additionally I have home made four-axis-four-buttons device connected to gameport and controlled via standard Windows 2000 Professional driver for Gameport joystick. On this device I have one axis assigned to elevator trim, one to flaps and one to rudder trim (via FSUIPC axis substitution).

My question is: is there any way to use fourth axis on my gameport device to control cowl flaps? Of course I can control them by key presses but analogue control will be much more convenient and realistic.

Steku

My question is: is there any way to use fourth axis on my gameport device to control cowl flaps?

Well, there are controls to SET the cowl flaps (separately for 1, 2, 3, and 4) -- they are named COWLFLAPn_SET (n = 1 to 4), so it could be programmed -- Unfortunately FS doesn't regard these inputs as Axis inputs so won't assign them to axes (FS98 didn't have these sorts of delineations, and it is annoying that they introduced them). I suspect FS will override them if you try to assign them directly in the FS9.CFG file too, but it may be worth a try.

For FSUIPC to support these you'd have to select another, otherwise unused, axis control and edit the FSUIPC.INI file to tell me its number (names and numbers are listed in my FS controls list, available on http://www.schiratti.com/dowson). Then I'd have to intercept those inputs and re-route them to the Cowl Flaps SET value.

I can add this to my list if you like. It isn't complex. In fact I could have added it to 3.202, but you just missed that -- I try to keep FSUIPC releases down to once per month now, unless something drastic happens.

Are you needing it for a single engined aircraft, or would you need to be able to map the one axis to all 4 engine cowls? That wouldn't be quite so easy of course.

Regards,

Pete

I’m really impressed by your prompt answer and willingness to help. Now I understand that registering FSUIPC was a good move (despite the price).

I’m using now :

AXIS_PAN_TILT 66505

for rudder trim

I think that:

AXIS_PAN_PITCH 66503

will be OK for cowl flaps.

Now I have only four axes on my gameport device which is enough for single engine aircraft like Cessna 177 Cardinal. I bought two engine Dreamfleet Cessna 310 but I don’t have enough axes on my control devices to control every engine independently. If I could use analogue axis on my gameport devices to control cowl flaps for two engines simultaneously I’ll be happy of course. But as for now I’m trying to fly single engine complex aircraft well before transitioning to multiengine. I think I’ll be flying Cessna Cardinal for at least half a year and the simpler upgrade to FSUIPC will be welcomed.

Here is part of my FSUIPC.INI file:

SpoilerIncrement=512

[JoystickCalibration]

FlapsSetControl=0

ReverserControl=66292

MaxThrottleForReverser=0

AileronTrimControl=0

RudderTrimControl=66505

Rudder Trim=-16380,-1024,1024,16380

ElevatorTrim=-12495,0,0,12495

Could you inform me by e-mail me when new version (with support for cowl flaps axis) of your excellent utility will be available? If not – no problem, I’m reading news at Avism every day.

If I could use analogue axis on my gameport devices to control cowl flaps for two engines simultaneously I’ll be happy of course.

Well, I'll have a look. Maybe I can do it simply by allowing the same input axis number to be assigned to several FS values. Otherwise it will be a "mapping" option, like the ones for throttle and so on.

Could you inform me by e-mail me when new version (with support for cowl flaps axis) of your excellent utility will be available?

Well, as I said, I've only just released 3.202. I normally try to space releases out to around monthly, so at worst it might be 4 weeks. Your request is now in my list, but I've some other things I must do (not with FSUIPC) first. Maybe I can get to this within a week or so -- it depends how fast I can get through the other things.

Anyway, when I do implement it I'll send a "Beta" (interim test version) to you for testing in any case, if you like. I don't need cowl flap levers myself, you see. :)

Regards,

Pete

I never dreamed of being Pete Dowson's beta tester :)

I'll really appreciate this interim version. Of course I can live without cowl flaps lever for four weeks :)

Thanks!

Did you receive the test version of FSUIPC with the cowl flap facilities added? I sent it on Saturday. I think it should all work well, but I could do with some feedback in confirmation, when you've got time, please.

Regards,

Pete

I've been offline for some time (skiing in Saalbach Hinterglemm in Austria - really recommended!). I received mail from you with test version of FSUIPC 3.203 supporting cowl flaps and tested it.

It works flawlessly!

Thank you very much. Now I’m a little closer to reality (maybe I should finally start my real life flight training :)).

I've been offline for some time (skiing in Saalbach Hinterglemm in Austria - really recommended!). I received mail from you with test version of FSUIPC 3.203 supporting cowl flaps and tested it.

It works flawlessly!

Ah, good! One more item to tick off on my long list!

Thanks,

Pete