The simFlight Network Forums

Calibrating CH Flight Yoke & Pedals, USB

I have read the file up & down. After I calibrated my flight controls, they are way too touchy. I have tried to put a null spot in both, but there does not seem to be one in either. Just resting my foot or giving some slight rudder, especially on the ground, it either steers sharp one way or the other and I am constantly correcting. End result is I am doing zig zags down the runway in a 757! Not very impressive.

Can some one show me the light cause I am definately missing something.

Thanks,

George

I have read the file up & down.

Which file is that? You need to be a little more specific, please.

After I calibrated my flight controls, they are way too touchy.

Calibrated in Windows' Game Controllers? That is the place to start. And "too touchy" means too sensitive I assume? Turn down the sensitivity in FS.

You could also try putting this parameter into the [Controls] section of the FS CFG file:

stick_sensitivity_mode=0

This makes FS treat the axis inputs more sensibly, in linear mode. Since FS2000 it has defaulted to a time-based mode which I find too twitchy as well. I always recommend this parameter.

I have tried to put a null spot in both, but there does not seem to be one in either. Just resting my foot or giving some slight rudder, especially on the ground, it either steers sharp one way or the other and I am constantly correcting. End result is I am doing zig zags down the runway in a 757! Not very impressive.

Some of that may be down to the aircraft modelling. The rudder effectiveness parameter in the aircraft file is sometimes too high. Try another aircraft, see if it is specific.

As for the null central zone, the facility in FS for this isn't terribly accurate. You could try calibrating in FSUIPC if you have a full user registered installation. The centre can be set precisely there, and you can make the null zone in the centre as big as you like.

But before you do this, get the best Windows calibration, and also set the FS sensitivity to max -- otherwise, if you have reduced it, when you calibrate in FSUIPC it will return to full sensitivity, but it will be coarse not fine because some of the range will be lost.

One of the other things which may be causing problems may be CH's own control software, if you are running that. Some folks seem to have success with it, but I have heard of a lot of problems too.

Regards,

Pete