The simFlight Network Forums

GPS software for the PalmPilot

Hi... I see that you've been able to get GPSOut to work with serial port PalmPilots.

I have a Palm IIIxe with a serial cable.

Can anyone recommend a GPS application for the Palm that will take the GPSOut signal? Freeware would be preferred of course :-)

Richard

Thank you very much, CaptainGPS. I found that site last night, and have installed "GPS Master" and it's related BMP - Raster map converter, but I'm having trouble getting it to connect to MSFS, so I'll give mininav a try.

PETE....

In the GPSout.ini fle, the default sentence info includes "GPRMZ", but in the info below, it lists "PGRMZ". I assume one of these is a typo? which should I try?

Richard

In the GPSout.ini fle, the default sentence info includes "GPRMZ", but in the info below, it lists "PGRMZ". I assume one of these is a typo? which should I try?

Oh, drat! Is that typo still there? Sorry. It should be "PGRMZ". The P is for "Proprietary" and "GRM" is for Garmin. There are other PGRM sentences too but the Z one is the only one I've implemented -- I've no information on others and they don't seem to be needed in any case.

Regards,

Pete

Just an update..... I've gotten the "GPS Master" freeware program to connect with the GPSOut function of MSFS.... sort of :-(

The moving map moves, the track seems right, waypoint, routes etc are all working, but the displayed speed is all over the place - flying straight and level at 100 knots it bounces around from 40 kts to 250 kts.

I'll keep playing and let you know how it goes.

Richard

Just an update..... I've gotten the "GPS Master" freeware program to connect with the GPSOut function of MSFS.... sort of :-(

Richard

Richard,

I should have warned you that I have not tried any of the Palm programs, but that I was just steering you towards some possibilities.

John Bell