The simFlight Network Forums

XKEYS?

Peter, pardon me for asking this if it has already been covered?

I have an XKEYS interface board which I can program the convential way (By setting unit in program mode and pressing a keyboard switch)(Not utilizing FSUIPC)

This is a USB unit.

Is there any way I can utilize FSUIPC to program this within FS2K?

Also, Peter, if you remember the Jeppesen fs100 pic I posted,

I realize now that my option there is to utilize components only.

Question, is there anyway I can use the rotary switches by rewiring them so they are independent of the FS100, to change the radio frequencies?

I have read the manuals but I am still unclear if rotary programming is an option?

Thanks again

Norm

I have an XKEYS interface board which I can program the convential way (By setting unit in program mode and pressing a keyboard switch)(Not utilizing FSUIPC)

This is a USB unit.

Is there any way I can utilize FSUIPC to program this within FS2K?

Sorry, but I've absolutely no idea. Does it emulate a keyboard and send keystrokes to the PC, or does it look like a joystick with loads of buttons? You should be able to find out easily enough.

FSUIPC can recognise any buttons which can be seen in the Windows joystick API. This is an interface which supports up to 16 "joysticks" each with up to 32 "buttons" (and also a hat switch or "POV" - point-of-view switch, and up to 6 analogue axes). This is the interface FS used to use up until FS2002 -- nowadays it actually uses DirectInput, part of DirectX, which supports a superset of this.

To see if FSUIPC sees your buttons, load up FS, go into FSUIPC's options (ALT M F), select the Buttons tab, and press a button.

You can of course do the same in FS's own Options-Controls-Assignments, but just with a smaller set of controls and options.

If it looks like a keyboard and provides keystrokes then program them in FSUIPC's Keys page instead. Again, you can use FS's Options-Controls-Assignments but with a shorter list of controls.

Also, Peter, if you remember the Jeppesen fs100 pic I posted,

I realize now that my option there is to utilize components only.

Question, is there anyway I can use the rotary switches by rewiring them so they are independent of the FS100, to change the radio frequencies?

Sorry, this is an engineering question which I am not at all qualified to answer. You'll obviously need some sort of interface to the PC and drivers to deal with it. There are a few companies making interfaces I think, but the only one I'm still vaguely familiar with is the EPIC. You need to check in some hardware and/or cockpit builders forums.

I have read the manuals but I am still unclear if rotary programming is an option?

The manuals for the FS100? I shouldn't think they will tell you how to re-wire the device. Or do you mean FSUIPC? There is nothing in any of my stuff which will get you from a few wires connected to a switch to anything recognised by Windows sufficiently for FSUIPC to see it. FSUIPC is not a hardware driver, it is a module which sits in Flight Sim and reads standard Windows-provided indications, like joystick buttons and key presses.

I'm sure there are lots of solutions, though you are starting with the relatively cheap components like switches and knobs and looking for the more expensive ones such as an interface card and driver software which will connect your bits to your PC. You may well find lots of choices as to how to proceed, but you need to go to the right forums.

Good luck!

Pete