The simFlight Network Forums

Request: Raw PFC axis data via FSUIPC

Pete;

I was wondering if, at some point, it would be possible to provide a new option for the various analog axes on the PFC controls. It'd be nice to be able to map a PFC analog channel straight to a FSUIPC offset, so that an external program could read the raw PFC data...process it...and in turn write the post-processing data back to FS via FSUIPC.

Right now I'm trying to write a program that takes throttle inputs and translates them into keystroke controls for the PSS Airbus panels. It'd be a very straighforward thing if I could select, rather than Throttle1, FSUIPC Offset &Hxxxx, have my program read that, and then either pass keystrokes to the panel or set the throttle axis value via a FSUIPC write. There are a few other applications for such an interface I can think of off the top of my head...

Cheers

I was wondering if, at some point, it would be possible to provide a new option for the various analog axes on the PFC controls. It'd be nice to be able to map a PFC analog channel straight to a FSUIPC offset, so that an external program could read the raw PFC data...process it...and in turn write the post-processing data back to FS via FSUIPC.

Sounds easy enough -- would this be post-calibration in PFC.DLL? For all axes or only those not allocated in PFC? With an option to disconnect the assigned function?

I'll make a note and put it in the next version. Unfortunately the next release will probably not be till July sometime as I'm part way though some quite massive changes for the new PFC MCP and the Jet Cockpit (see http://www.flypfc.com). Maybe I can send you a Beta some time earlier though.

Regards,

Pete

Pete;

I think it would be useful for all axes, and the ability to disconnect them is critical in some cases to getting things to work. On pre or post-calibration, I assume that the calibration is context specific, based on the particular axis assignment. I could use either, but for a feature like this less may be more...intent is to divert axis data to an accessible place, and then the programmer is responsible for scaling/smoothing/processing and injection into FS. Simple, directly-readable raw data works for me.

One possible use of this capability is to program some means of emulating a Direct-X joystick input from a PFC axis. I note that the PMDG Control Wheel Steering mode (very well implemented) appears to rely on ability to read the joystick axes via DX...PFC serial devices aren't seen and therefore don't work. I'm also interested in software detents for prop controls on several turboprop panels etc etc. Lots of useful possibilities here I think.

As always...thanks a bunch!

Simple, directly-readable raw data works for me.

Okay. 16 x 16-bit words for raw values (though currently the max range is 0-127, it may well change in future), and a 16 bit word containing control flags for connection (0) disconnection (1). I'll look for 34 bytes space some place.

If you don't mind a rough beta with some other stuff half-baked and undocumented (probably nothing relevant to you in any case) I can probably add this this week. Is that too soon for you? For an official release it would be July sometime, though.

Regards,

Pete