The simFlight Network Forums

question about fsuipc & FS2004 weather

Hello.

I'm wondering if some can answer a quick question for me regarding the weather settings in FSUIPC and FS2004.

I am thinking about purchasing this much talked about piece of software but would like to clarify something first.

In the documentation it says...

Smooth visibility changes works for all weather in FS2004. IIt introduces visibility changes gradually when selected. You can adjust the speed at which the visibility

is allowed to change. (This of course does not affect sudden visibility changes caused by clouds). This option is defaulted off, and does not occur at all for FS2000/FS2002’s local weather (including downloaded ‘real weather’).

Where it says "does not affect sudden visibility changes caused by clouds... What exactly does this mean? Does that just mean that when flying through a cloud you aren't going to see much for that second or two?

It also says...

On FS2004, the upper altitude of restricted visibility can be set by FSUIPC, for global and local weather injected by external programs.

Is the built-in real world weather considered an external program? If not, does that mean that if I'm using FS2004's built-in real world weather that I will not get things such as...

"when you climb out of it you get blue skies (or fancy clouds) above and around you, but still see the mist below."

Any help would be apprecaited here.

Thanks!

Where it says "does not affect sudden visibility changes caused by clouds... What exactly does this mean? Does that just mean that when flying through a cloud you aren't going to see much for that second or two?

It means that in clouds you see however far you'd expect to see in a cloud of that density. The point is that at the level FSUIPC is "fiddling" the visibility it could easily make the visibility ignore the clouds, which would be horrible and unrealistic.

Is the built-in real world weather considered an external program?

No, of course not. That's the whole point of using words like "internal" and "external"!

If not, does that mean that if I'm using FS2004's built-in real world weather that I will not get things such as...

"when you climb out of it you get blue skies (or fancy clouds) above and around you, but still see the mist below."

Sorry, I don't understand this out of context. FS provides the visible facilities you describe here, not FSUIPC.

Pete

That 3rd one came right out of the FSUIPC documentation. Right next to the other two.

Okay. Here it is in context:

On FS2004, the upper altitude of restricted visibility can be set by FSUIPC, for global and local weather injected by external programs. This allows you to limit the thickness of the fog or mist layer so that when you climb out of it you get blue skies (or fancy clouds) above and around you, but still see the mist below. It’s a really nice feature of FS2004.

Isn't that clear? If not, what is it you don't understand?

Regards,

Pete

It related to the initial question.

I guess my question was if I don't have FSUIPC then I don't get to see "blue skies above and mist below". Is that right?

No, not at all. You keep reading part of it out of context as I suggested earlier.

If you don't use external weather programs the whole subject is irrelevant, if you do then this option allows YOU to control the upper altitude of the layer. If you don't have FSUIPC you can't run the external weather programs using it, so that too is irrlevant.

Pete

This is true because we also give the user the option to set thier own visibility range or use the visibility that is processed from the METAR. We can't have FSUIPC doing one thing and AS doing something else in the same option.

FSUIPC provides interface facilities for programs to switch these on or off automatically, in any case.

Regards,

Pete