The simFlight Network Forums

TCAS

Hello,

after (??) changing from PIC767 with TCAS 7.0 installed to another plane it get the "not registered message". Didn't find a key anywhere for that gauge. The log shows

9020625 Restoring weather after Local Weather cleared

9423859 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

9424344 Module identified = "ILH_TCAS.GAU"

9424359 Illegal read attempt: offset 7B90, size 1

9424359Program or module not accredited for use with this unregistered FSUIPC

9424469 Module identified = "fsflightmax.dll"

9424469 ModuleOK="fsflightmax.dll"

9429890 ### IPC Message processed in 5578mSecs ###

9432640 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint2"

Hello,

after (??) changing from PIC767 with TCAS 7.0 installed to another plane it get the "not registered message". Didn't find a key anywhere for that gauge. The log shows

9020625 Restoring weather after Local Weather cleared

9423859 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

9424344 Module identified = "ILH_TCAS.GAU"

9424359 Illegal read attempt: offset 7B90, size 1

9424359Program or module not accredited for use with this unregistered FSUIPC

The ILH_TCAS gauge was issued with an access Key back in July last year. Is it an older version? Check the date on it, and see if there's a newer one.

It is odd in any case. The offset mentioned, 7B90, is not normally used by Gauges -- I think that one is reserved for Squawkox 3.

Please always mention the version of FSUIPC you are using too -- if it is not 3.22, the current one, please retry with that.

Regards,

Pete

... IVSI with TCAS II v7.0 from 24 May 2004.

Sorry, that's pretty meaningless to me. What is the IVSI bit? Is that relevant? Is this "TCAS II" the ILH_TCAS.gau?

If this is a legitimate gauge and it is supplying the Key, then the most likely reason for the problem is that the programmer hasn't added a terminating zero, despite this being clearly part of the specification.

If you enable FSUIPC IPC write logging just before loading the aircraft concerned, then the data logged will show me what is going on. If this is the case there are three possible courses of action:

1. Write to the gauge author, pointing out the problem and getting it corrected, or

2. Paying for and registering FSUIPC as a User so you don''t get any of these problems again :wink: , or

3. Hoping that I can work out a way of detecting this failure to abide by the specs, and thus working around it. If I do this is won't be until the next version of FSUIPC (3.30), maybe next week.

Let me know.

Regards,

Pete

Is this "TCAS II" the ILH_TCAS.gau?

Yes. Its the great TCAS gauge by Lee Hetherington. Is there a key for this one? It works perfectly with AI traffic but not with SB/Vatsim and AI Bridge 2.0 or 1.0.

Greetings

Dietmar

Is this "TCAS II" the ILH_TCAS.gau?

Yes. Its the great TCAS gauge by Lee Hetherington. Is there a key for this one? It works perfectly with AI traffic but not with SB/Vatsim and AI Bridge 2.0 or 1.0.

As I said earlier, ILH_TCAS.gau was given a Key back in July 2003. It is probably built in. I am awaiting the results of your re-run of the registration error with more logging enabled so I can diagnose it for you. Please review this part of my last message:

If this is a legitimate gauge and it is supplying the Key, then the most likely reason for the problem is that the programmer hasn't added a terminating zero, despite this being clearly part of the specification.

If you enable FSUIPC IPC write logging just before loading the aircraft concerned, then the data logged will show me what is going on.

As for showing multiplayer traffic, that is 100% a function of AIBridge. Maybe you need a later version -- I don't think the one on the Schiratti page is the right version. You need to go to Jose's own page. There's another recent thread here somewhere which discusses that and provides the link.

Regards,

Pete

The Lee Tcas already changes some of SB3 memory locations.

Ah, interesting. That explains the access it tries:

Illegal read attempt: offset 7B90,

Don't know about the key because I have the full FSUIPC version and tested the gauge with it.

You know, for testing, you can simply temporarily remove or rename your FSUIPC.KEY file, don't you? This won't destroy your registration, it simply won't be effective until you restore the KEY file on a subsequent FS load.

Anyway, I think the problem is most likely that Lee is not appending the terminating zero when he sends the Key and gauge name to FSUIPC. This will create inconsistent problems, because whether it works or not then depends upon what used those FSUIPC offsets beforehand.

I have been reluctant to give in here and add extra code to FSUIPC to deal with the missing terminator (i.e. add one myself), because it is clear in the specification and programmers should really learn to be careful to follow specifications. However, this particular problem seems to be getting more common and is a nuisance in the extra workload it creates, so I will deal with it in FSUIPC 3.30.

Meanwhile I am still awaiting a Log file from Dietmar with IPC write logging enabled so that I can verify that this is indeed a correct diagnosis.

Best regards,

Pete