The simFlight Network Forums

Pete ..... HELP....MAYDAY.....HELP.....MAYDAY!!!!!!

Pete,

I know I have beaten this horse before, but I would like to beat the right side this time.

Since I have started using 3.22 have been having spuratic behavior between FSUIPC and Elite Throttle Quadrant Driver being able to initiate. I have e-mail and called Elite Tech Support and gotten assistance,they to have not been able to pin point exactly what is going on. I have had this problem before with one of the previous ver 3.12x for which you made a fix shortly there after, and every thing worked flawlessly. Maybe you can shed some insight on my dilema.

PROBLEM:

On starting FS, I get the error message

"The ELITE DRIVER needs FSUIPC version 2.92 or later installed in the

Modules directory. No version has been detected at all or FSUIPC could not be opened."

Sometimes I may luck out by closing FS2004 and restarting and the Throttle Quadrant will work. I can never get it to work the 1st time I start the Sim. there are other times that I cannot get the darn thing to initialize

with FS. If I start up the ELite Simulator it initializes and works

flawlessly. I am using version 3.22 (FSUIPC), I was experiencing this with

3.129 as well. I have gone into the Modules folder and deleted my Elite,

FSUIPC and PFC drivers and reinstalled one by one and received the same

results. I have run out of ideas. :cry: :( :?

If I delete the ini file and restart FS2004 they will work. Is it possible that there is a conflict with my PFC driver for my PFC Cirrus Yoke. An enquiring, confused mind would like to know. Thanks for your assistance on this matter.

System Config:

PIV 1.6

ABit BL-7 Mobo

1 Gig SDRAM

2 40 Gig WD HDD

8x DVD Burner

Radeon 9800 Non-Pro

Matrox DualHead G450

Elite Serial Twin Throttle Quadrant

PFC Cirrus Yoke USB

CH Products USB Rudder Pedals

1 KDS 21" 21e Monitor

2 IBM 17" Monitors

Creative Labs Audigy

Linksys NR041 Router

Simeon "Kilo_Whiskey" Richardson

Aircraft Dispatcher - DeHavilland Dash 8 100/200/300

USAirways/Piedmont Airlines

"The ELITE DRIVER needs FSUIPC version 2.92 or later installed in the

Modules directory. No version has been detected at all or FSUIPC could not be opened."

If it is checking the version number and doesn't like version 3 then there is no solution --- I thought Elite had corrected this? Are you sure you are using the correct Elite driver?

I have run out of ideas. :cry: :( :?

Is this with a registered copy of FSUIPC? If not, have you considered buying a user registration for FSUIPC?

Is it possible that there is a conflict with my PFC driver for my PFC Cirrus Yoke.

No.

If you show me the FSUIPC Log file I may be able to tell you what is happening, or at least advise about adding more logging to show more. But I have no information to go on as it is. What do Elite support say? Isn't it really their job to support their products?

Regards,

Pete

Pete I have been one of proud supporters....of course it is registered :lol:

I have had Calvin at Elite Tech Support look at this. For some reason he is not getting this when he tests with the equipment in the Lab. I know you don't have any association with Elite since they write directly to the equipment. I am just trying to cover all possible bases. Sorry for being a bother

I have the PFC on COM1

Elite on Com 2

Here is a copy of my FSUIPC log

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.22 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name="Simeon Richardson"

User Addr="ser16404@hotmail.com"

FSUIPC Key is provided

WideFS Key is provided

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=40003605[40003605]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=255

3578 System time = 08:37:31

3578 \\CPT_SIMRICH\FS2004\

3578 System time = 08:37:31, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

28656 FLIGHTS\other\MEIGS.flt

28703 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

28703 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"

137609 AIRCRAFT\Aeroworx Super King Air B200\awx.b200.air

137609 Aircraft="Aeroworx Super King Air B200 - 2D Cockpit UN"

158531 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

166531 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

176047 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

353172 Traffic File #19 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic"

2055172 WeatherOptions set, now 60003705 (timer=0)

2389406 Client Application: "AS2004" (Id=2612)

2389406 C:\FS2004\Modules\ActiveSky2004\AS2004.exe

2389422 Product="ActiveSky2004"

2389422 Company="HiFi Simulation Software"

2395156 NWI weather clear actioned

2395156 External weather discarded

3820640 Aircraft="Aeroworx Super King Air B200 - 2D Cockpit, VC & Cabin D-IHAN"

7319734 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\ Program generated temporary flight.flt

7334140 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

7416781 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\ Program generated temporary flight.flt

7429625 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

8758093 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\ Program generated temporary flight.flt

8772328 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

8846828 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\ Program generated temporary flight.flt

8856765 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

9907640 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\ Program generated temporary flight.flt

9918218 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

9950390 System time = 11:23:18, FS2004 time = 10:25:56 (14:25Z)

9950390 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 567 Allocs, 115366 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

Here is copy of the PFC log

********* PFC DLL, Version 1.844 by Pete Dowson *********

********* PFC Log file closed *********

Pete I have been one of proud supporters....of course it is registered :lol:

Oh, sorry. My memory isn't good enough.

One thing I missed in your last message was this:

If I delete the ini file and restart FS2004 they will work.

Which INI file is this? By "they" you mean the Elite driver..(s)? If you can consistently get things to work by following a specific path then there should be a big clue there.

Here is a copy of my FSUIPC log

FSUIPC logs the attachment by external programs. Is the Elite driver a DLL?

You are starting a Flight off many times there, but there's no other information of use I'm afraid. Can you get rid of every other FSUIPC user (PFC, ActiveSky, anything else) except the Elite driver, then enable FSUIPC IPC read and write logging -- do this before starting FS by editing the FSUIPC.INI file. Just add LogReads=Yes and LogWrites=Yes to the General section.

I need the Elite driver to be the only FSUIPC user so that I know that all the log entries for data reads and writes are from it. Having other things running is just going to muddle it too much as well as making the log too big.

Tell me exactly what happens, and how many seconds into the FS load it is when you get that Elite error message box, then close things down.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, here is the log with the bugging options enabled. The error messages comes on just before the opening screen comes alive. It takes approx 56 seconds before I get the error message.

follow this link please for an image of my error messgae....thanks

click on the pic "fault"

http://groups.msn.com/DehavillandDash8Q?Page=Last

FSUIPC Key is provided

WideFS Key is provided

Module base=61000000

WeatherOptions(Orig)=60003705[60003705]

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=0000000D

DebugStatus=255

5391 System time = 16:53:59

5391 \\CPT_SIMRICH\FS2004\

5406 System time = 16:53:59, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

30797 FLIGHTS\other\MEIGS.flt

30860 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

30860 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"

60610 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

61203 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

69016 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

117938 Traffic File #19 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic"

160110 WeatherOptions set, now 60003705 (timer=0)

171906 System time = 16:56:46, FS2004 time = 16:54:42 (21:54Z)

171906 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 3 Allocs, 58 Freed

Hello guys

I am with ELITE Simulations, I could not reprodce the same problem that kilo_whiskey encounterd. I my understanding he has a registerd FSUIPC installed and using the latest ELITEFS driver.

The current version is: v1.0.11c (10/31/2003) available for download here (no installer): http://www.flyelite.com/flightsim/downlLITEFS.zip

All you need is a registerd version of FSUIPC installed in your FS modules directory, the ELITEFS.DLL in the MODULES directory and all the ELITE hardware will work.

Please let me know if I can assist with anything.

Cal-

Pete, here is the log with the bugging options enabled. The error messages comes on just before the opening screen comes alive. It takes approx 56 seconds before I get the error message.

I suspect then that the Elite module is attempting to get a response from FSUIPC before it is even ready. The Log shows no attempts whatsoever at reading or writing to any offsets, and explains why FSUIPC doesn't even see the module.

follow this link please for an image of my error messgae....thanks

click on the pic "fault"

http://groups.msn.com/DehavillandDash8Q?Page=Last

The link doesn't seem to work, but it's of no consequence, because this problem is not one from FSUIPC. It looks like the Elite DLL implements some basic check for FSUIPC and then gives up. I don't know any other module which works like that without even reading some offsets. Maybe it is checking the Version Info of the module file itself, in which case it could simply be an error in the numeric version checking it performs.

If it is an initialisation timing problem, then what surprises me is that it ever worked in FS2002, because there the InitDelay parameter defaulted to 3000 (for 3 seconds), so FSUIPC never 'opened its doors' for three seconds then. Now the responding Window hook is established very early on (this is the "InitDelay: 0 seconds" logged). Maybe you can try inserting an "InitDelay=3000" parameter into the FSUIPC INI file (in the General section), but if it works I'll be surprised.

Since the Elite DLL isn't even accessing FSUIPC there's no more I can do for you. Sorry. The fact that it 'sometimes' works for you does indicate some sort of timing problem -- maybe their DLL is attempting to contact FSUIPC during the Modules initial loading, which would probably make it dependent upon the ordering of modules in the Modules folder.

The only solution really is to ask Elite support to look at what they are doing, in those initial moments, and change it for a more consistent approach. I can't tell how they are checking for FSUIPC since there's no contact, so it is up to them.

Regards,

Pete

Please let me know if I can assist with anything.

Cal-

Please review my last answer above --- when the error occurs the Elite DLL hasn't even accessed FSUIPC for any offsets. So what is it checking, and when? The fact that it sometimes does work implies a timing problem -- maybe, for instance, if FSUIPC is loaded early in the chain of module loads and the Elite DLL is loaded late it would work. But why? What is it that the DLL is doing which makes it so precarious?

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Here is a proper log with a failed Elite initialization. Sorry about the link.

FSUIPC Key is provided

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

WeatherOptions(Orig)=40003605[40003605]

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=0000000D

DebugStatus=15

3422 System time = 19:12:56

3422 \\CPT_SIMRICH\FS2004\

3437 System time = 19:12:56, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

30390 FLIGHTS\other\MEIGS.flt

30453 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

30453 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"

42234 READ0 3304, 4 bytes: 00 00 20 32

42234 READ0 3308, 4 bytes: 07 00 DE FA

42234 WRITE0 (failed, read-only!) 330A, 2 bytes: 00 00

42234 WRITE0 8001, 28 bytes: 43 4A 4D 34 4B 42 4E 4E 31 52 4C 51 50 4D 44 47

42234 4F 70 74 69 6F 6E 73 2E 44 4C 4C 00

205140 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

205781 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

209265 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

234015 System time = 19:16:46, FS2004 time = 19:13:29 (00:13Z)

234015 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 32 Freed

Thaks again

Simeon

Here is a proper log with a failed Elite initialization.

Sorry, what do you mean "proper"? What was the last log, then?

Anyway, if the last one was NOT from a failed Elite initialisation, you might think that pretty well nullifies all I said about it, wouldn't you? But no! Looking at this one I think I can stand by what I said back there.

Going through it, although it seems to show something reasonable:

42234 READ0 3304, 4 bytes: 00 00 20 32

42234 READ0 3308, 4 bytes: 07 00 DE FA

42234 WRITE0 (failed, read-only!) 330A, 2 bytes: 00 00

That is a standard FSUIPC Open sequence. The version number of FSUIPC is read (3220 0000 for 3.22), as also is the version of FS (7=FS2004 in FSUIPC). The "FADE" part indicates that the Advanced Weather Interface is initialised.

The write to 330A should normally show the version number of the FSUIPC SDK library, but it is of no consequence as I never updated it. It should fail "read-only" because this forces it to be logged as I intended at the time.

42234 WRITE0 8001, 28 bytes: 43 4A 4D 34 4B 42 4E 4E 31 52 4C 51 50 4D 44 47

42234 4F 70 74 69 6F 6E 73 2E 44 4C 4C 00

BUT: this is the Access Key being written by PMDGOptions.DLL!

In other words the only access to FSUIPC being made here is that by PMDGOptions.DLL (part of the PMDG aircraft install I believe, and responsible for the PMDG menu additions).

There is still no access being made by Elite's DLL!

Over to Elite I think.

Regards,

Pete

I've only just noticed this one, which was slipped in whilst I was replying to any earlier one:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=15744&highlight=elite

Here is a link to a previous discussion other usere have experienced, Elite was not the only problematic device or add-on.

That was a problem which existed for one release (3.128) when I tried to protect FS from crashing by preventing access to FSUIPC by programs and modules until FS is actually "ready to fly", so that I know I can access stuff which is actually loaded and ready.

If you review the thread you reference you will see that I changed the way I did it in 3.129, and this then fixed things to work as they did in 3.125. I have not changed it back again since then, I assure you.

FSUIPC does have to read and write its INI file and open the log before it starts to offer its services. Maybe the growing number of parameters it has to deal with takes this towards a time that is critical for modules which don't appear to allow any leeway or perform any retries. Maybe it is so close, timing-wise, that simply defragmenting your disk or putting files in a different order is enough to clinch it. I don't know. But this is not any area in which I can really make any adjustments, I'm afraid. I have to deal with all the initialisation before I can start interacting with other programs, and as extra features are added to FSUIPC this will naturally take longer.

We are only talking milliseconds, at most, here. I really think the answer has to be in the hands of the DLL programmers. Rather than expecting immediate access on their "module_init" entries from FS, they should use a SetTimer-TimerProc instigated routine to retry access, perhaps 10 times over a 5 second period. That should be safe enough even for those who have reset the FSUIPC InitDelay parameter to its erstwhile default of 3000 (3 seconds).

Regards,

Pete

Pete

I really appreciate the time you have taken to investigate this. I am going to start from scratch and re-install everything to see if I am at fault in anyway. I will touch base with Elite in the morning. It is really odd though, and I understand what you are saying about timing. If I delete the ini's I get it to work, but there after the messgaes keep coming back and the quadrant is not recognized at all.

I will let you know the final outcome, whether it be negative ot positive :lol:

Happy Simming

Simeon

I am going to start from scratch and re-install everything to see if I am at fault in anyway.

I don't think so -- it looks like the Elite DLL is expecting to be able to get onto FSUIPC first thing on loading, and if it can't it immediately gives up. It may be that by shuffling things or a faster disketc you can get around it, but it's only going to get worse, not better.

If I delete the ini's I get it to work

If you are including the FSUIPC.INI here, then I think that is all that matters, and its removal is just speeding up FSUIPC's initialisation so it is more likely to be ready in time for the Elite DLL's one shot.

Regards,

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hi Kilo_Whiskey and Pete.

I noticed this discussion is a bit old, but I have the exact same problem. Did you come up with a solution to this problem?

Every time my computer has made a fresh start, I need to start FS twice, because the first time I get the message: “The Elite FS driver needs FSUIPC version 2.92 or later installed in the modules directory. No version has been detected at all or FSUIPC couldn’t be opened.” Then FS minimise. After clicking “OK” and maximise FS, my screen is black. Pushing “Esc” result in the message “End flight? Continue flight?” After clicking “End flight” I end up in the FS-menu, where the background of the aircraft is flashing fast! Then I can quit FS and start it up again without any problems beside the ones I have had since I bought the Elite throttles. I use EliteFS.dll v.1.0.11 and FSUIPC version 3.5 (Registered of cause).

I would like to hear Kilo_Whiskey if you have experienced other problems with the Elite throttles. My throttles freeze up frequently. Then I have to scan for them in the Elite-menu. This is very annoying and sometimes my computer crashes completely when clicking “Scan”. Does this sound familiar?

Kind regards

Jesper

I noticed this discussion is a bit old, but I have the exact same problem. Did you come up with a solution to this problem?

No. Did Elite? It seems to be their problem, don't you think?

Every time my computer has made a fresh start, I need to start FS twice, because the first time I get the message: “The Elite FS driver needs FSUIPC version 2.92 or later installed in the modules directory. No version has been detected at all or FSUIPC couldn’t be opened.” Then FS minimise. After clicking “OK” and maximise FS, my screen is black. Pushing “Esc” result in the message “End flight? Continue flight?” After clicking “End flight” I end up in the FS-menu, where the background of the aircraft is flashing fast! Then I can quit FS and start it up again without any problems beside the ones I have had since I bought the Elite throttles. I use EliteFS.dll v.1.0.11 and FSUIPC version 3.5 (Registered of cause).

Pretty much all of those symptoms really cannot be anything whatsoever to do with FSUIPC. It seems that the Elite DLL is misbehaving rather badly. What do their support say?

I really know nothing about what Elite have done. They have never contacted me for any assistance nor ever been interested in any way in obtaining a license for their use of FSUIPC. They are determined on "going it alone" and must therefore support their own devices themselves. I am sorry, but there is nothing I can do.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I really don't know what they are thinking about at Elite. You and the Elite-support-team should be best friends. At least they should pay for the FSUIPC! Without your FSUIPC.dll no Elite hardware will be compatible with FS2004, right? Personal I will never buy the Elite-sim, because I don’t think it match up with FS2004. I contacted the support-team a long time ago about this problem, but they could not help me! Have to wait for an update of the elite.dll.

Best regards

Jesper