The simFlight Network Forums

Default Widefs

Pete,

Can you do me a favor and tell me what will be the minium settings in the wideserver/wideclient ini files to get it work ok with the PM software... as you said i did asked the Pm boys about my delay problem but now it returns back to you with a msg that it maybe have to do with some new options in widefs. I dont think it will be that because this delay problem was also there with the older version so if you can tell me what i HAVE to have as min into my ini files at least to let it run we maybe can continue in a next step again like this i feel more that i am swapped from one to a other and until now not maked much progress in it:(

Thanks already

(i run a xp pro version with tcp/ip )

FM

Can you do me a favor and tell me what will be the minium settings in the wideserver/wideclient ini files to get it work ok with the PM software.

As supplied. It has been tuned over a long period to run best with PM. That's what I use.

now it returns back to you with a msg that it maybe have to do with some new options in widefs.

What new options? The only possibility I can think of is that you have some odd joystick driver which is making the polling in Wideclient (added in 6.22) go wrong. This has occurred in one case I know of so far. Otherwise there have been no significant new options in WideFS for years.

Try switching off the button polling by adding:

ButtonScanInterval=0

in the [Config] section of the WideClient.ini file.

Regards,

Pete

hi Pete,

thanks for the quick response:)

Ok i will show you what i have now in my both ini files (changed already that 0 now) and maybe you can tell me if there is anything that wouldnt be needed there...

This is the ini of the client

[Config]

useTCPIP=Yes

ServerIPAdress=192.168.2.104

ServerName=sys001

Port=8002

Window=32000,32000,160,34

Visible=Yes

ButtonScanInterval=0

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

PollInterval=2000

ResponseTime=18

Timeout=12

TCPcoalesce=No

WaitForNewData=500

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

and this of the server:

[Config]

Port=8002

UseTCPIP=Yes

ServerName=sys001

AutoUpdateTime=13

RestartTime=10

AutoRestart=0

MaximumBlock=4096

NoStoppedRestarts=Yes

SendTimeout=15

TCPcoalesce=No

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

[ClientNames]

1=SYSTEM003

2=SYSTEM002

3=BWR014

4=BWR002

I think the best way is to start here and than continue to a next point?

FM

i will show you what i have now in my both ini files (changed already that 0 now) and maybe you can tell me if there is anything that wouldnt be needed there...

Nothing. they are all defaulted except the Button scan one, which you can let default anyway if you've already tried that.

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve anyway? Sorry if I should know this, but you started a new thread for this and I'm not sure how any of this relates to anything. It would possibly make more sense if I knew what went on before.

Just some minor comments on the INI files, mainly for your clarification:

============

In the Client, there is no point having both

ServerName=sys001

If the IP address is provided, the name isn't used. If only the name is given, WideClient asks Windows for the IP address, so it gets there either way.

============

Also in the Client INI, sometimes you get better results with

Timeout=0

instead of the default. This is the section in the WideFS DOC:

Many FS6IPC/FSUIPC client applications are reasonably well behaved, however, and do timeshare well enough, so this timeout can be set quite low, even down to 0. But be careful. With some applications, if there is not a delay before returning to the application from each of its data requests, then the loop can be too tight and there may be some real difficulties in accessing other facilities on that PC, moving and sizing windows, and so on.

============

In the Server.INI, these lines are not valid, they are unused. There Server doesn't need to know where the Server is.

ServerName=sys001

============

and, using this:

RestartTime=10

is fine provided you are using WideServer version 6.23. In earlier versions it is better as 0 (a work around for a bug fixed in 6.23).

I think the best way is to start here and than continue to a next point?

Not sure what you mean, sorry.

Regards,

Pete

This was the subject i did talked about with you before maybe you remember it:)

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.phighlight=

Please understand that I see and answer many messages not only here but also in email and on some Newsgroups -- including the PM one in fact. I also develop and test not only WideFS and FSUIPC but several other modules. I cannot tie such things together as easy as you seem to expect. It is better, please, to keep things in threads so that the questions and answers develop rather than start over again every time.

Looking back at the last things you said in your other thread:

even close the whole FS the PM is still running like if it is still in actual flight.

I said (and I still maintain) that this is not possible. Your observations need to be much more specific. I see Jonathan says he suspected that PM was reverting to "demo" mode, but I don't think that happens either. On my setup, for example, I can close down and switch off the Server, and the GC computer is just sat there, with the GC displays as they last were from my FS flight. If I then switch the Server back on and load up FS, after a short time they all come to life again. But I see no way for them to be alive when FS is not running.

You also said:

I dont understand what it can be i only can try to switch the comp 2 and 3 and see if that would solve the problem just need to ask then to the PM foks for a new key otherwise i cant use it on that one.

I will see what i can switch to be sure it is the comp itself i will keep you informed about it.

Did you try your other computer yet? You've not informed us about it.

Finally, here is something I didn't notice before:

I only did pause the game that day could be after 20 min and restarted the game maybe 10 min later but this is also happening if i dont pause it but when i reset the game or have a crash of the plane.

... and I think you were also saying something about crashing the aircraft (three times in a row? :?) in the PM Newsgroup. [I did, I think, manage to identify you in there -- from your initials, not from your non-dde-plume here! I never understood why normal folks need to hide their identity in Forums].

If your problems are only ever occurring after you do something like crash or pause for long periods in mid-flight or reload a flight and so on, then I think this is where you may be expecting too much from the current PM software. Certainly after a crash, or any reset type operation, the PM software will lose track. It is best not to crash, and to try to fly everything in real time. Rather than pause to go make a cup of tea let the A/P take over for a short time. That's what it is all about -- "as real as it gets". If you crash a real aircraft I don't think you expect a lot of the glass cockpit to be of use in continuing the flight! :wink:

Perhaps in your reports to PM support you could emphasise this point, that things only go wrong when you have crashed or done something else quite extreme with FS. I doubt whether the complex cockpit programming in PM is designed to cope with any of that, at least at present. There are so many more important things for it to do yet for normal flight without recovering from FS extremes. If you do crash I think you go have a cup of coffer and come back and start again, not try to continue. Certainly the CDU will need its data clearing and plan re-cycling. Anyway, ask PM support for their opinion of this particular point.

And try not to crash so often, eh? :)

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete,

Sorry if my name makes mistakes but i use on all other forums the bwr014 name just on Project magenta u use my name... and no i have nothing to hide... But now you know it is me and the same one as before:)

Getting back on your words.. Wasnt planning of chrasing that much but the point is that i crash because PM gives me wrong info lol so for PM iam still in the air while iam already for the FS under the ground by matter of speaking. Beside this i wonder if i would be the only one that holds up a record of chrashing ??? Guess 60% of the folks outside would have the same problem so meening they all must have a delay aswell? But ok i guess i am the only one so i also will have to see the problem by myself in the first place.

On your question to use a other comp i can tell you i did and the results are excatly the same.. reason why i did put the msg on the forum of PM and see what they would come up with.

The pause task was just a moment but NO iam not normaly going to sit behind the FS and than think after 5 min so lets have a coffee now... :) But sometimes the phone rings and i just noticed on that day that the pause sign in PM stay on while in FS the pause was gone. than after a while the PM continue again that day and conclusion crash again... because i wasnt at 500 ft but -50 already :)

I just try to see with all of you where i need to find this problem i am also not waiting on this i am sure both of your progs work fine only not with me at the moment.

I will at least try toninght again your new settings and see if it will make any progress and let you know that asap aswell. If you need more info of me plz also ask i also will do what i can do help in this way i already said to jonathan if i need to format my comps i also will... just like to solve this problem.

I am sorry i did made a new subject on this will try to avoid that the next time pete.

Than last point. Maybe i do make myself not clear enouch yet to you if so iam sorry... but i mean with close down comp that i can shutdown my computer with FS and when the PM software have that delay it will then just continue his turns and movements like i still have also FS running. I know that normaly when you stop FS or chrash the PM software automatic also stops until you start the FS up again.

FM

i crash because PM gives me wrong info lol so for PM iam still in the air while iam already for the FS under the ground by matter of speaking.

Sorry, I don't quite follow. Are you saying that you crash because PM goes wrong and that PM goes wrong because you crash? I thought earlier (and on the PM newsgroup) you were saying that PM goes wrong after you crash, not before?

Beside this i wonder if i would be the only one that holds up a record of chrashing ??? Guess 60% of the folks outside would have the same problem so meening they all must have a delay aswell?

As I thought I've explained before, I have no idea how it is even remotely possible for there to be a delay! Either PM is responding within milliseconds or it is stopped or hung or jerky. I cannot imagine any way possible for it to be running perfectly smoothly and nicely but in a completely different time frame to you. This is really something you have to discuss in much more detail with the PM team, because I'm sure it must be a completely unique thing and they would be astounded.

On your question to use a other comp i can tell you i did and the results are excatly the same.

Okay, so it isn't hardware and it apparently isn't software? So the only other thing left is your interpretation of what is happening, isn't it?

If, after crashing, you restart things like the MCP, setting up a flight from an airport again and so on, isn't everything then working? I simply cannot imagine how you are trying to continue with glass cockpit operations after a crash.

... i just noticed on that day that the pause sign in PM stay on while in FS the pause was gone.

So, the Network was blocked? Or the PM program was hung? Both possibilities exist there.

than after a while the PM continue again that day and conclusion crash again... because i wasnt at 500 ft but -50 already :)

Not sure what you are saying here, sorry. You seem to be saying your aircraft descended from 500 feet to-50 feet? (Where in the world were you flying for the ground to be so low?).

i am sure both of your progs work fine only not with me at the moment.

The problem may be more that none of us can figure out exactly what you think is wrong. Sorry.

I will at least try toninght again your new settings

What new settings? The only thing I suggested you could try was Timeout=0, but that is trivial. It simply allows more time for the applications and less time for the Network.

just like to solve this problem.

Perhaps once we understand the problem in more clarity things will be easier, but I am just getting more confused each time at present.

Maybe i do make myself not clear enouch yet to you if so iam sorry... but i mean with close down comp that i can shutdown my computer with FS and when the PM software have that delay it will then just continue his turns and movements like i still have also FS running.

I thought you said that, and it sounds so impossible to me that it is even nearly a miracle!

Maybe, it is, as Jonathan suggests, somehow getting into "demo" mode, but in all the years I've been using PM I've never ever seen it do that. For me the ONLY time it ever enters demo mode is if it is started without Wideclient started first -- it doesn't even need FS to be running to operate normally.

Of course, I am only ever using the Boeing software. I've never tried the Airbus stuff. Maybe that is entirely different, but certainly, for this aspect of your questions you do need to sort it with the PM folks.

Unfortunately I think that both Katy and Enrico are away on visits and left poor Jonathan to fend for himself, so their response times may be rather slow.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

I think i solved my delay problem with the PM software:)

I explain what i found and maybe it say you something more...

I figured out that in my task manager there was a file called svchost.exe SYSTEM that "eat" a lot of mem of my comp. I did end that proces even with all the warings of MR. Bill and guess what.... delay and "pause" prob solved....

No idea where that file was needed for but without it the comp still works fine and so far i can see now i can crash a 100 times and it still startup in the nice way as it should be....

Hope it maybe say you something more or maybe helps others aswell that have maybe a similair problem with this...

gr.

FM

I think i solved my delay problem with the PM software:)

Great!

I figured out that in my task manager there was a file called svchost.exe SYSTEM that "eat" a lot of mem of my comp. I did end that proces even with all the warings of MR. Bill and guess what.... delay and "pause" prob solved....

Hmmm... I seem to have 6 processes called SVCHOST running. No idea what they do.

Hope it maybe say you something more or maybe helps others aswell that have maybe a similair problem with this...

Yes. Thank you. Maybe I will try closing my similar processes down and see what happens!

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

The svchost thing can be a spyware/virus or a firewall effect, as well as a legitimate part of the system. Some useful reading:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/lindex.phtml

http://www.huguesjohnson.com/svchost.html

http://ask-leo.com/archives/000105.html

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Articl20609.html

Sounds like bwr014 may have a spyware infestation.