The simFlight Network Forums

Paying

Hello!

Ok Mr Dowson if I pay about Enrico Schirattis page with Pay Pal (Iregistered there), how can I get my RegistrationKeys?I mean if I don't pay about Simmarket?Could you send it to me,if I give you my E-Mail adress and you give yours?Is it possible!

Ok Mr Dowson if I pay about Enrico Schirattis page with Pay Pal (Iregistered there), how can I get my RegistrationKeys?I mean if I don't pay about Simmarket?Could you send it to me,if I give you my E-Mail adress and you give yours?Is it possible!

Sorry, I don't deal with any of that. If you've paid for registration you should get an email with the key(s). SimMarket do this within 24 hours. I though Mr. Schiratti only did this for Project Magenta customers, but, either way, he is away in Sacramento at present so there may be a delay.

Regards,

Pete

Do you know when he comes back?I could still pay today it is no problem!

Why not use SimMarket? Sorry, but I really don't know Enrico's exact movements. You could try writing to him at the support@schiratti.com address. Other PM folks will also see that.

If this version of Wide FS is bettter

Better than which version? There's been no substantial changes in WideFS for years. The refining of its performance using TCP/IP mostly occurred between version 5.40 and 6.1, but the main change from 5.50 to version 6 is compatibility with FS2004 and dependence upon Version 3 of FSUIPC instead of Version 2.

I am not sure what you are looking for, but I wouldn't want to entice you into spending money unnecessarily and on false pretences.

Regards,

Pete

Mr. Dowson which reason I send to you and in the forum of project magenta with my client 2 with CDU/MCP!In the log-file of Wide Client Ini stood :Get Recv( ) missed blocked?Sequence jumped from 3141to 3145 or like that?You said to me that something is blocking the network link there and it is the version 5.40!!!!!I adjust my network cards in properties full/Duplex (100full) and the Receive buffer to 64Kbytes!I use Win 98SE and the Fs2002!I adjust my Server (2,4 GHZ with 512MBDDRAM and MY TRAFFIC) limit to hold Frames per second to 18!I have no idea anymore! Nobody helps me and i'am a beginner with computers and networking!Katy Pluta don't gives me an answer about the forum and Jonathan from PM said that I need new Wide FS!But in you history of Wide FS I had read about some Jumped Sequences see above!It runs but sometimes it looks like as I installed IPX/SPX but I use TCP/IP!I don't get on and than my bad english!

Mr. Dowson which reason I send to you and in the forum of project magenta ...

Ah, sorry --- with starting a new thread I cannot easily link up to your previous posts. You will understand that I answer almost all questions here and I also respond to emails and participate in several Newsgroups. And I try to get on with program development too! This is why I prefer the Forum method, but it doesn't work if the threads are continually broken and started afresh.

I think you were having some network problems but were using WideFS 5.40 and IPX/SPX, and I said that version 5.40 was rather old and I couldn't support it. Correct?

Whether the latest version, 6.23, will resolve the problems or not I do not know and I cannot guarantee it, so I still cannot tell you to pay for this and expect results. Your problem could be elsewhere. Additionally, if you change from 5.40 to 6.23 you will also have to change from version 2 of FSUIPC to Version 3, and if you are currently using any of the FSUIPC User facilities you will lose access to those too, unless you also purchase FSUIPC.

Unfortunately, for some reason I don't understand, you did not keep your WideFS up to date -- 5.40 was superceded by 5.50 well over a year ago. How long have you been using WideFS 5.40 and had problems which you are so late in asking about? Or, if these problems are new, what have you changed to bring them about?

Nobody helps me and i'am a beginner with computers and networking!

If you are a beginner in this, how is it you have version 5.40, which as I say is so old now? Your statements do seem a little conflicting.

Katy Pluta don't gives me an answer about the forum and Jonathan from PM said that I need new Wide FS!

Katy and Enrico are away at present, otherwise she would no doubt help. I think Jonathan is saying the same as I am, that we cannot undertake to support such old versions. All that means is that we have no way to determine what is wrong when you are using old versions.

However the software side turns out, if this is a new problem you must consider what has been changed, as the answer will lie there somewhere. The sort of errors you mention do usually arise because of bad network hardware (cards, cables, hubs or switches), or, less often, driver or settings problems. Without upgrading your software you could pursue an investigation of trial and error. Change this, test that,, change something else, test it, and so on. Only change one thing at a time or you learn nothing.

Regards,

Pete

Peter in your users manual in part "History of Recent change" under Version 5.41 there is standing something about my problem with "missed Sequence numbers",error retries !If do you have build a network what and how do you give acess on the drive and PM -folders!I have everywhere full sharing with read and Write acess!Do you have CDU or MCP on your server running where your FS is running?Is 18 fps hold to much for 2,4GHZ computer with MY TRAFFIC?Oh my clients are all have an 1,2 GHZ cpu and 256MB-RAM and I have 10/100mbps fast ethernet networkcards from LEVELONE with a switch!I come now with the problem because I bought my computers after and after!!

in your users manual in part "History of Recent change" under Version 5.41 there is standing something about my problem with "missed Sequence numbers",error retries !

Hmmm, well, yes -- "guaranteed ordering of frames" isn't the same as "guaranteed no missing frames". That's more about data arriving out of order because of the queuing inside WideServer and Windows. In fact, the other part, where it says "retries are also reduced by better scheduling and not even retrying for Server transmissions of data changes, just leaving them to be seen again next time round." could actually induce more missed blocks if there were problems of blocking network connections in the first place.

The part "excessive logging of missed sequence numbers is avoided in cases where the server knows that the frame couldn’t be sent, by backtracking on the frame numbering system" is related to spurious extra logging of the same single missing block error because of subsequent errors in block numbering.

Quite honestly, whilst things will have improved -- I always strive to improve my software all the time -- I cannot honestly tell you that the problems you are getting would be any different with today's versions. That may be, but it really doesn't seem so likely to me. If you could only say what you changed since having a working 5.40 WideFS network -- I simply cannot believe you've had the same problems with WideFS ever since the release date of that old version (February 2003).

All I can say is that if you had problems with today's versions AND if they turned out to be caused by software rather than hardware, then at least I'd be in with a chance of diagnosing them and maybe fixing them, for instance by turning on some more logging.

There is no point in turning on extra logging in version 5.40 because I cannot match what it logs to the software, because it is too old.

If do you have build a network what and how do you give acess on the drive and PM -folders!

Sorry, is this relevant? I'm not really sure about all that stuff -- I did some things like right-clicking on folders and selecting "share" or something and giving access permissions. I haven't really touched any of that for ages -- it isn't needed for WideFS, only for PM, and I think there's a program available from the PM site with which you can check it all. If I were you I'd run that and check the results.

Do you have CDU or MCP on your server running where your FS is running?

I have the CDU in its own PC (1.2GHz). I used to have the MCP running there too, when my main FS PC was a 2.4GHz one. When I upgraded the FS PC to a P4 3.2GHz with hyperthreading I found everthing was a little smoother by running the MCP on the FS PC. I think it helps keep the main WideFS network traffic down when the MCP is controlling the flight.

Is 18 fps hold to much for 2,4GHZ computer with MY TRAFFIC?

You check your frame rates first by setting the limiter to "unlimited". Do a typical flight and observe the fps, then set the limiter to something lower than the average (not just lower than the max) -- the idea is that it should be set so that FS is hitting that limit almost all of the time, so (a) remaining less jerky and (b) always allowing some time for other activities, like WideServer.

Remember, I am using FS2004. I assume you are using FS2002 -- otherwise you couldn't be using such old modules of mine.

When I was using a 2.4 GHz I had to turn AI traffic down as well as much of the graphics, and the limiter was down to around 15 fps I think. With the 3.2GHz PC and FS2004 I have the limiter set to 20 or 25 fps, and most things up full.

For FS2002 I expect 18 fps is fine on a 2.4 GHz PC. But I cannot remember what FS2002 was like on my 2.4 now, sorry.

Oh my clients are all have an 1,2 GHZ cpu and 256MB-RAM and I have 10/100mbps fast ethernet networkcards from LEVELONE with a switch!I come now with the problem because I bought my computers after and after!!

The specifications sound fine. But are they all working? I don't understand the sentence "I come now with the problem because I bought my computers after and after!!". "After" what and "after" what?

Whenever I've had any sort of Network problem, and I've had several over the last 6 or 7 years of WideFS, I've eliminated it by trial and error. In that time I've had two bad network Cards (it is a good job they are so cheap!), one bad (cheap, ug) cable, and one bad hub. Each of those problems have accounted for a separate problem and each took several days of re-configuring, unplugging, reinstalling, and so on to find and rectify. If you have spares it is easy. If not it's a matter of swapping things between machines.

My last big problem was trying to make things work after my main FS PC was changed from Win98SE to WinXP. I had no end of problems with IPX/SPX, and it was because of that I concentrated on making the TCP/IP side better and better. I am now 100% TCP/IP and no other protocol is installed. I runwith two PCs on Win98SE, two on WinXP Home and two on WinXP Pro. I've also got a Win2000 Pro installed on one of them for tests only.

I hope this helps.

I would of course still advise you to upgrade both FSUIPC and WideFS. If you have the latest versions you may well find your problems are resolved, but I cannot promise this. All I can say is that it would then be easier for both PM support and me to help you. As it is it is not really possible.

Regards,

Pete

Sorry my bad english but I'am learning again,with after and after I mean of course that I bought my PC's gradually!Sorry!

I have maked a test flight from Münster-Osnabrück to munich,and I have this result with follow adjustments:

-keep 15fps hold

-MY TRAFFIC average

In the log-files of the clients with Glascockpit-Software I have no entries!

Only on the client with MCP/CDU I have now 6 entries like that

(GET RECV ( ) missed block?Sequence jumped from .... to .....!

Oh and on this version 5.40 there are no entries in WideServerIni besides

-Use TCP/IP=Yes,Port=8002;in WideClientIni only (use TCP/IP=Yes,ServerIPAdress=192.168.0.1,Window=with some numbers and Visible=No) !Thats it!Must I still need other entries? For example in earlier Versions of Wide FS I must enter For PM Timeout=0!What do you mean shall I make a try to install MCP on the Server to relieve the MCP/CDU-PC?Or shall I buy your new Version of Wide FS?

I mean of course that I bought my PC's gradually!

Yes, but that isn't the question. Have you been using WideFS 5.40 since February 2003, when it was released? When did you start getting problems? Why didn't you keep WideFS up to date -- it is after all quite likely that 5.41 was better, and 5.50 was better still? Now, 17 months later, it is too late for such free upgrades.

In the log-files of the clients with Glascockpit-Software I have no entries! Only on the client with MCP/CDU I have now 6 entries like that

(GET RECV ( ) missed block?

Isn't this as before? As I said before, it does look like a problem limited to that PC. So do some eliminations. Try the MCP and CDU separately -- they are both quite heavy users of the network. Maybe you have the "NetDir" on a different PC? I think the NetDir is very often accessed by both modules, but I'm not sure.

And, to check the hardware, try swapping bits around.

I'm sure I've suggested all this before.

Oh and on this version 5.40 there are no entries in WideServerIni besides

-Use TCP/IP=Yes,Port=8002;in WideClientIni only (use TCP/IP=Yes,ServerIPAdress=192.168.0.1,Window=with some numbers and Visible=No) !Thats it!Must I still need other entries?

Not necessarily, but, honestly, 5.40 was NOT optimised for TCP/IP and was, in fact, a transition version between a good IPX/SPX version (5.30) and a good TCP/IP version (5.50). I really cannot advise you on 5.40, It is too old and I do not remember!! (Haven't I already said this too?).

Honestly, I am still completely confused as to how you are a NEW user but with 5.40. How can this be???

For example in earlier Versions of Wide FS I must enter For PM Timeout=0!

Really? I thought that was always optional. It depends on what sort of things you are running on the same PC. PLEASE READ THE WIDEFS.DOC. It does describe the use of these parameters.

What do you mean shall I make a try to install MCP on the Server to relieve the MCP/CDU-PC?Or shall I buy your new Version of Wide FS?

Oh dear. I am very sorry, but I cannot advise you any more. I have made suggestions that you try to determine what is wrong, by a process of elimination, especially whether it is hardware or not. I also advised you to update both FSUIPC and WideFS, but I am not going to tell you to spend money and expect solutions as a result, simply because I cannot possibly know what the problem is! I cannot guarantee anything, how do you expect me to?

We are going in circles here. Please try to isolate the problem. If you want to buy new versions, please do so, but I cannot help with your hardware nor with PM, and I can only help advise you on results with current versions of my programs. I do keep saying all this, but I assume you do not understand my replies?

Regards,

Pete