The simFlight Network Forums

Knowing when FS has been lost

Hi,

I am using MS fs2004 and reading data from it with fsuipc over wideserver.

My application needs to trigger an even when the FS has gone down or been closed for whatever reason, and i cant find any information about how to do this.

fsuipc just seems to carry on normally :?

Thanks,

Martyn.

My application needs to trigger an even when the FS has gone down or been closed for whatever reason, and i cant find any information about how to do this.

fsuipc just seems to carry on normally :?

Well, FSUIPC and WideServer close when FS closes, they have no choice. They most certainly don't carry on normally. WideClient provides data from its memory, as it always does. When WideServer packs up, that memory will no longer be updated.

At present the only way to determine if FS is 'alive' and you are still 'connected' is to check one of the various "active" counters -- 337E probably being the most suitable. There's also the timer in 3374. If they don't change over a reasonable time (maybe allow a few seconds in case of severe Network hiccoughs or local problems), then assume FS has gone down or the link has been severed.

Note that those values may also stall if the connection from Wideclient to WideServer is blocked or lost. You cannot differentiate this from FS closing or crashing.

As far as FS closing is concerned, by the time FSUIPC knows FS is closing it only has time to tidy up, releasing resources. WideServer similarly. I don't know if it would be able to send out messages to the WideClients saying it was closing -- I could certainly investigate that if it is important. But nothing will cope with FS crashing, obviously.

Regards,

Pete