The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG landing lights and AdvDisp not working

Hi Peter,

i'm a registerd owner of your FSUIP.

Never had this trouble with PMDG 600/700 series but today i noticed for the first time during my first 800 flight.

As soon as landing lights are turned on AdvDisp stops showing any data; and if i turn landing lights off AdvDisp works again.

Any clue? I'm the only one?

Thanks in advance for helping

Luigi ;-)

Never had this trouble with PMDG 600/700 series but today i noticed for the first time during my first 800 flight.

As soon as landing lights are turned on AdvDisp stops showing any data; and if i turn landing lights off AdvDisp works again.

Any clue?

Sorry, no. I really can't see how it is possible for there to be any relationship whatsoever between landing lights and AdvDisplay's FS message interception. When "AdvDisp stops showing any data", what data are you expecting? Is it being displayed in the FS text lines instead?

Perhaps it is the program you are using which displays data through Advdisp which is failing? Just disable AdvDisp (modules menu) and see if the "data", whatever it is, displays in FS's text lines. If not, it isn't AdvDisp which isn't working, but the program or whatever which is providing the "data".

You can also try another source of messages for Advdisp to show, such as ATIS (if enabled in AdvDisp's menu), or enable some Monitoring in FSUIPC's logging page -- one of its options is to direct text to the FS adv display lines. AdvDisplay should intercept those too.

Finally, once you have narrowed it down enough to describe it precisely it would be worth reporting this on the PMDG site as it could be a symptom of something wrong in the new 737-800 panel code.

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

I have been having the same problem. I was playing around with it the other day and found that if you open advDisplay then tune to ATIS. When the message is displayed on advDisplay turning on the landing lights clears advDisplay, however when the ATIS message recycles the message is displayed again, turning off the landing lights again clears the display. It would appear that selecting the landing lights clears the advDisplay text. Turning on the landing lights has no effect on the default MS Text Display. I guess there is probably a conflict with Keystrokes somewhere but have been unable to track it down.

Dave

It would appear that selecting the landing lights clears the advDisplay text. Turning on the landing lights has no effect on the default MS Text Display. I guess there is probably a conflict with Keystrokes somewhere but have been unable to track it down.

There aren't any keystrokes related to whether Advdisplay's window is cleared. It sounds like something is actually writing to the AdvDisplay control offset when you operate the landing light switch.

If you disable AdvDisplay, so the ATIS shows in the normal FS text display, does it still occur? If so then it may not be the FSUIPC offset but some direct action into FS.

You could also test with the utility ShowText (in the AdvDisp ZIP) to see if the text clears there too -- that reads from the FSUIPC offsets.

Is this only with the PMDG 800/900? If so, please report it in as much detail as you can to PMDG. I suspect it should be very easy to find and fix once they know about it.

Regards,

Pete

You could also test with the utility ShowText (in the AdvDisp ZIP) to see if the text clears there too -- that reads from the FSUIPC offsets.

That's exactly what i usually do running Show Text on a cable linked client PC and landing lights clear the text there too :cry: I only can see a blank screen but i have to say that text blinks from time to time until i turn off landing lights no matter if i do it via CTRL-L or gauge switch. After that text messages start displaying again in Show Text window.

Is this only with the PMDG 800/900? If so, please report it in as much detail as you can to PMDG.

Yessir, only 800/900 series, not problem at all with 600/700.

Asked for help into AVSim PMDG forum. The thread

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=028&page=3

Thanks for helping

Luigi :wink:

I only can see a blank screen but i have to say that text blinks from time to time until i turn off landing lights no matter if i do it via CTRL-L or gauge switch. After that text messages start displaying again in Show Text window.

If you disable AdvDisp, does ATIS or whatever show in FS normally, or is that affected too?

only 800/900 series, not problem at all with 600/700.

Okay, sounds like they've got an error for sure. If it is so reproducible I'm sure they should be able to locate it soon enough. I'll send a note to my contact there too.

Thanks,

Pete

If you disable AdvDisp, does ATIS or whatever show in FS normally, or is that affected too?

Hi Peter,

just run a short test and ATIS stop displaying on AdvDisp or Show Text but shows normally in FS (green stripe) also switching LL on/off.

I'll send a note to my contact there too.

Thanks for helping troubleshooting

cheers

just run a short test and ATIS stop displaying on AdvDisp or Show Text but shows normally in FS (green stripe) also switching LL on/off.

Okay, that seems to prove that the PMDG 800/900 is writing to FSUIPC someplace it shouldn't.

As one final piece of evidence for me to examine and forward to PMDG, could you do one more test please? Just before switching the landing lights on to make the error occur, go into the FSUIPC options, Logging page, and enable IPC write logging.

OK out, make the test (switch on landing lights), see the error occur, switch off landing lights, see the error disappear, then immediately go back into FSUIPC options and turn that option back off. (I only want it logging atound the error as otherwise there will be far too much log to wade through!).

Close down FS, ZIP up the FSUIPC.LOG (yiu'll see it in the FS Modules folder) and email it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

Thanks,

Pete

As one final piece of evidence for me to examine and forward to PMDG, could you do one more test please? Just before switching the landing lights on to make the error occur, go into the FSUIPC options, Logging page, and enable IPC write logging.

Hold short Peter....

Thank you for helping som much

• 5 months later...

I have been seeing the same problem, Landing-light on, RCv3 text off and vice-versa but I think I may have found a workaround for this problem.

I re-displayed the Advdisp window ontop of the 738 2D-panel last night just before I took off from EGLL, (usually have the window "always hidden" as I use Text-Display across a WideFS connection). I then right clicked on the Advdisp window and selected "show multiple lines" and then re-hid the Advdisp window.

Low-and-behold I got my RCv3 text back even with the landing-lights on. The only drawback seems to be the green-text window (usually used for AS2004 metar text updates) is now taller (5 or 6 empty lines) than it would normally be. This seemed to work flawlessly on a 8 hour flight from EGLL to OMDB last night. See if it works for you.

FS9.1

PMDG 736/7/8/9

FSUIPC 3.44

WideFS 6.44

AdvDisp 2.131

AS2004.5 163

v/r,

Al