The simFlight Network Forums

Clouds...

Pete, Just got the reg for my latest version of FSUIPC module and have a problem with my clouds.

I havent changes any setting in FS9 but now my distant clouds all look like they have dark borders or heavy shadows around them. Almost like its just outlined abound them. Never did this before with tne unregistered version. This is in the dafault state (module) and when I remove the module everything looks fine again. I have an ATI 9800XT video card and a 3ghz intel with hyperthreading in case you need to know my specs.

This has me baffled. :?

I havent changes any setting in FS9 but now my distant clouds all look like they have dark borders or heavy shadows around them. Almost like its just outlined abound them. Never did this before with tne unregistered version. This is in the dafault state (module) and when I remove the module everything looks fine again.

Sorry, there is no way FSUIPC, registered or unregistered, is going to do anything with graphics. I wouldn't know where to begin. You have something else going on there. [FSUIPC always gets the blame for everything, no matter how improbable :cry: ].

I've actually never heard of dark bordered clouds at all before -- the shading of the 3D clouds (at least) is excellent in FS2004. The 2D clouds should be shot though -- check your Options-Settings-Hardware-Weather options and make sure clouds are 100% 3D.

Regards,

Pete

Sorry Pete. Weill i did fix it and it was FSUIPC and FS9 related but here is the cause and fix:

I had my visibility (in FS9) set to 60 miles BUT my clouds were set to draw at 40 miles. Once FSUIPC was installed (btw the last version I have does not do this... i checked it out, it was not so much the registering it but it was the latest version) this happened.

The fix: Make sure the clouds are drawn at least at whatever your min visibility is. Example now I have it set to 60 miles and 60 miles and its fine. Seems the 3d Clouds in FS9 look sharper with your new version of the module. I actually compaired the last release (what i was running before) with this one and you can clearly see a sharper look and more vibrant color.

Either way thats the fix and i am happy once again. One small other issue is that the "lock panel" feature seems to not work under FS9. Bit no big deal. I am now using the smothing effects and they sure are nice :)

THANKS PETE!

I had my visibility (in FS9) set to 60 miles BUT my clouds were set to draw at 40 miles.

That should actually be okay. You certainly wouldn't want it the other way about as that gives straight line cut-off edges to many clouds.

Once FSUIPC was installed (btw the last version I have does not do this... i checked it out, it was not so much the registering it but it was the latest version) this happened.

Odd, I've made no changes at all to the way the visibility limits are applied, and in an unregistered version there will be nothing done by FSUIPC in any case, except upon external program request.

Seems the 3d Clouds in FS9 look sharper with your new version of the module. I actually compaired the last release (what i was running before) with this one and you can clearly see a sharper look and more vibrant color.

Well, that's something of a minor miracle then, with no changes in any of that area of code. Truly astounding!

Either way thats the fix and i am happy once again.

Well, that's the main thing.

One small other issue is that the "lock panel" feature seems to not work under FS9.

It most certainly does. Maybe you have changed from Win98 to WinXP since you last tried the feature, and haven't checked the documentation? WinXP defaults to showing the windows when dragged, and that FSUIPC feature has never been able to work, on Win98 or WinXP, if that is enabled. It is nothing to do with whether it is FS2002 or FS2004. Please do check the documentation when you have an issue like that, in case it is actually mentioned.

Regards,

Pete

Well you know how computers can be. Sometimes they do strange stuff :) Long as its OK now I guess that's all that maters. I know that your module does nothing to modify graphics, however the mixtures of settings between FS9 and the module is doing someting good. Anyway thanks again and yes I did miss that in the manual about turning off the show info while dragging option. Sorry about that, I should have read better. :)