The simFlight Network Forums

I want to build a home cockpit...

And FSUIPC is probably the easiest way to interface all the gauges, MFDs and everything with the computer, but I'm wondering if I need to buy a registered copy. I don't have any use for the weather controls or other features, I just need to be able to export data from the simulator, and I really don't want to have to pay for it. I have hardly any money as it is, and it seems like cockpit building is a very expensive hobby, so I have to keep things as cheap as possible, and probably do almost everything myself. This means no EPIC, prebuilt instruments, lots of expensive real parts, and so on, but I'm fairly confident I can live without those.

You could try FSBus (http://www.fsbus.de), which is afaik one of the cheaper ways to build your own cockpit. It does require fsuipc, but possibly it is included in the price.

Nevertheless, cockpitbuilding IS expensive. If paying 20 euro / us dollars for fsuipc (the most important piece of software, at a bargain price!) is too much, I advise not to start with it.

Tip: make a list of all the stuff you need to build your cockpit, like how many monitors, what pc and videocards you'd need, flightyoke, and not to forget stuff like cables, connectors, wood, screws etc. I bet you'll be surprised how much this all would cost..... 20 bucks for fsuipc would be easy to overlook on that list!

Hi,

.... I have hardly any money as it is, and it seems like cockpit building is a very expensive hobby, so I have to keep things as cheap as possible, and probably do almost everything myself. ....

If you can't even afford to buy FSUIPC, don't start with this hobby at all ...

my 2 cents...

I can afford it, I'm just wondering if I have to. Pete said that freeware apps would get free access keys, I'm just wondering if this applies to something written by me for personal use only. I don't have any need or use for joystick calibration, button programming, weather control or other extraneous features, and I don't really want to have to pay for them.

I can afford it, I'm just wondering if I have to. Pete said that freeware apps would get free access keys, I'm just wondering if this applies to something written by me for personal use only.

It can do, though most (all so far, I think) developers do actaully purchase FSUIPC, as it helps justify the free SDK and all the support I try to give to programmers. Also, even with a freeware key, depending on what language you intend to program in, this may not cover your debugging versions, which can make life more tedious for you. VB for instance doesn't look right to FSUIPC when debugging, so needs a user registered FSUIPC.

If you really wish to persist in asking for a free key and feel you don't really need much support so it's money down the drain, then do send the details to me: petedowson@btconnect.com.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for the reply. The software would almost certainly be written in C\C++, as that's what I'm most comfortable with right now (I haven't touched VB in years).

I've got to start reading up on working with the serial port in Windows before I actually try any of this, though. I'm in the middle of moving right now so it's going to be a while before I can concentrate on writing any code.