The simFlight Network Forums

Remapping engine selection commands?

Is it possible to map engine selection to some key combination in order to avoid doing "E 1" or "E 2", and if so, how exactly would I go about doing it? I fiddled around on the key mapping tab for a bit but was unable to get anything to work. I did see the ability to define a hot key for resuming all engine control.

Reason I ask is that when running Radar Contact and advdisp, RC always intercepts the number key first and thus instead of switching to one engine for start-up RC thinks I'm requesting clearance to take off or something.

Thanks!

Is it possible to map engine selection to some key combination in order to avoid doing "E 1" or "E 2", and if so, how exactly would I go about doing it?

You might find you can reassign them via FS controls "Select 1""Select 4". I've never tried.

Another way is to use the FSUIPC offset setting facility. The engine selection is via a byte at FSUIPC offset 0888. Bit 0 (value 1) is for Engine 1, bit 1 (value 2) is for Engine 2, bit 2 (value 4) is for Engine 3, and bit 3 (value 8) is for Engine 4. The FS hot key for all engines merely sets these bits. So you could program any keys to select engines individually or in concert.

Reason I ask is that when running Radar Contact and advdisp, RC always intercepts the number key first and thus instead of switching to one engine for start-up RC thinks I'm requesting clearance to take off or something.

In that case it is far easier and safer merely to reallocate RC's keys. Mine are CTRL+SHIFT+1etc. I changed them from the defaults many years ago! After all, the FS number keys are also used for Pushback direct setting (1 or 2 after Shift P) and for dorr selection if you have more than one to open/close.

Regards,

Pete

You might find you can reassign them via FS controls "Select 1""Select 4". I've never tried.

That's what I was trying, and did not seem to do anything. Using the offset sounds promising, I'll give it a try.

In that case it is far easier and safer merely to reallocate RC's keys. Mine are CTRL+SHIFT+1etc. I changed them from the defaults many years ago! After all, the FS number keys are also used for Pushback direct setting (1 or 2 after Shift P) and for dorr selection if you have more than one to open/close.

I actually tried that first, but having to use two hands every time I needed to interact with ATC was just plain annoying. I only need to select individual engines during start up, and only for one particular plane I use.

Thanks!