The simFlight Network Forums

Toggle Reverse Thrust on PMDG

I have made a throttle quadrant with 2 separate throttle control and 2 electrical swich (Joy button 1-2) for "Reverse Thrust".

I have set trottle axis without reverse (lever full back = idle).

In 737 by PMDG the reverse toggle (Shift + p in default assignement) dont work.

It's possible to use a joy button for activate reverse thrust?

I don't want the reverse command in the axis of the throttle, this is unrealistic.

Tanks and sorry for my bad english.

I have made a throttle quadrant with 2 separate throttle control and 2 electrical swich (Joy button 1-2) for "Reverse Thrust".

How have you programmed a reverse thrust on a button? In FS reverse thrust is an axis, ranging from idle to 25% (or thereabouts, it varies by aircraft) of full thrust via the reversing shrouds. This 25% would be represented by -4096 in FS terms.

In 737 by PMDG the reverse toggle (Shift + p in default assignement) dont work.

They provide a reverse operated by Shift+P? How odd. The Shift+P assignment operates FS's pushback by default. Have you cancelled that assignment, ior does the PMDG assignment override it?

If the PMDG facilities don't work I'm afraid you need to contact PMDG support. I'm really not at all sure what they are doing with a single button for reverse -- is that supposed to immediately set full reverse on both engines?

It's possible to use a joy button for activate reverse thrust?

Well, in FS default, keypress "F2" decreases thrust, and when it gets to idle (0% thrust), further pressing of F2 will move the thrusters into the reverse zone, so you could have a button assigned to F2, with a repeat option set so you can keep the button depressed.

You should be able to achieve the same with the THROTTLE_DECR control. You can use FS assignments or FSUIPC for this, it wouldn't matter which.

Note that the throttle axes themselves must be stable at idle (0%) otherwise they will interfere and prevent reverse engaging. Calibrate so that you always get zero when they are pulled right back. Again, this can be in FS or FSUIPC but the actual numbers are shown in FSUIPC so it may be easier there.

I don't want the reverse command in the axis of the throttle, this is unrealistic.

Hmmmhaving a button to engage reverse is realistic, is it? It most certainly isn't correct for a 737! :wink:

A correct approach for a 737 is to have two interlocked reversing levers with, I think, three detentes as well as the 'off' position -- something like idle, arm, and full reverse. The "arm" is used to operate the shrouds but keep the engine idling, the reverse is used to apply the full reverse thrust (a few seconds later -- I think there's an interlock), and the idle is used to let the engine spool down again BEFORE the shroud is put back into normal position. Then you can disengage it. I don't know of any aircraft for FS which simulates all this.

Regards,

Pete

OK Pete Tanks for information.

I have made 2 levers (for reverse) in the principal throttlr levers (like the real). This reverse lever are connected at 2 swich (joy button in pc).

Is a good idea to set this button for to press F2 (fast repeat) when the throttle is in idle position ???

I have made 2 levers (for reverse) in the principal throttlr levers (like the real). This reverse lever are connected at 2 swich (joy button in pc).

Is a good idea to set this button for to press F2 (fast repeat) when the throttle is in idle position ???

F2 or THROTTLE_DECR should work. Whether it's a good idea or not I don't know. After all, oushing them forward again won't operate F3 or THROTTLE INCR -- unless you programmed its Press action to Throttle Decr with repeat, and release action to THROTTLE_SET with a parameter of zero (to immediately set idle again when you move them forward, unpressing the button).

Pete

F2 or THROTTLE_DECR should work but that's for both engines (or at least all those selected by E + ...)

For two separate reversers you'd need to use THROTTLE1_DECR and THROTTLE2_DECR of course.

Whether it's a good idea or not I don't know. After all, pushing them forward again won't operate F3 or THROTTLE INCR -- unless you programmed its Press action to Throttle Decr with repeat, and release action to THROTTLE1_SET/THROTTLE2_SET, with a parameter of zero (to immediately set idle again when you move them forward, unpressing the button).

Pete

I have set the botton release to throttle1set (trottle2set) with parameter 0 and it don't work for disengaging reverse thrust. Why?

No idea, sorry. Is this with all aircraft or only the PMDG one?

You could try AXIS_THROTTLEn_SET (also parameter 0), which is the newer throttle control.

Regards,

Pete

Dear Pete

Now my reverse command is OK.

This is my setting: Button press (when i pull reverse levers) = THROTTLEn_decrease with repeat.

Button release (when i release reverse lever) = AXIS_THROTTLEn_SET with parameter 1000 (NOT 0).

With this setting it work good.

Tanks for all.[/b]

Button release (when i release reverse lever) = AXIS_THROTTLEn_SET with parameter 1000 (NOT 0).

Ahwhat is probably happening there is that the last value seen on that axis was 0, and only changes are actioned, so sending it a 0 again didn't work. I should have thought of that.

1000 will be close to idle, and maybe you've calibrated enough of a null zone to make it equivalent to idle in any case.

Well done! Good flying now!

Regards,

Pete