The simFlight Network Forums

Question with FSUIPC Throttle Idle IN and OUT Values

Today I received the CH Throttle Quadrant. I have everything working pretty good throught FSUIPC. The only issue is with the IN and OUT vaules at idle. The new TQ has a detent that the levers drop into for ground idle. There is a slight null space there to all me to keep it from going into reverse.

What I wanted to know is, when I bring the throttle back to ground ide when I'm calibrating them, is the IN or OUT the top range of ground idle. With takeoff and reverse I only have to click once to set those positions but there are two options for idle that are confusing me.

What going on is, when I bring my throttlle from TO to ground idle, they will some times go into reverse and I have to slightly push back up on the throttles to bring them out. When I look at the values in FSUIPC, the numbers will jump around sometimes so it's hard to set zero value. I'm not sure what causes this.

What I wanted to know is, when I bring the throttle back to ground ide when I'm calibrating them, is the IN or OUT the top range of ground idle.

IN is the value being read from the joystick, OUT is the result of your calibrations. Those are the two values shown on the extreme left. Neither are relevant here at all.

You simply click the "set" buttons above the Min/Centre (twice)/Max slots when calibrating. Don't worry about the actual numbers, you should only be concerned about the lever positions.

With takeoff and reverse I only have to click once to set those positions

With the extremes there are of course two values -- but one is implied, it is any value less than (for reverse) or greater than (for takeoff) the value you 'set'. The setting of a value OTHER than the extremes gives you the "dead zone" at the extremes which guarantees you can always achieve full off aqnd max thrust. Always allow leeway at either extreme.

With the centre values, here used for idle, you have to click the "set" above the values twice, de-limiting the zone in which you want idle to operate. Don't rely on the lever always giving the same output when it's at the detente!

All this is clearly explained, step-by-step, in the FSUIPC user documentation. Why is it confusing you, please?

What going on is, when I bring my throttlle from TO to ground idle, they will some times go into reverse and I have to slightly push back up on the throttles to bring them out. When I look at the values in FSUIPC, the numbers will jump around sometimes so it's hard to set zero value. I'm not sure what causes this.

Jitter, temperature variation, poor electrical contact on potentiometers, all sorts of things cause that. This is precisely why you should calibrate a zone around the detente, exactly as described in the documentation!

If you do not use these facilities, for precise zone definitions, then you may as well not use FSUIPC to calibrate but simply rely on the Game Controllers and FS default settings!

Regards,

Pete