The simFlight Network Forums

Drift problems using FSUIPC

Hi all,

I have version 3.4 of FSUIPC installed in FS9 and use CH yoke & pedals.

Without FSUIPC installed the game runs perfectly and the HSI bubble remains dead centre with the A/P engaged in level flight. The aircraft also remains level.

If however I install FSUIPC there is a tendency for the HSI bubble to drift to the right and the aircraft to take a pronounced list to starboard which seems to get worse as the flight progresses. I don't attempt to calibrate the controls except for the toe brakes, in fact this drift seems to be worse after I've set the brakes (assuming I'm doing that correctly). Even if I didn't, surely once airborne the brakes shouldn't influence the flight characteristics.

Does FSUIPC have any effect on the autopilot because that also seems to cause the situation to worsen once engaged.

I know this sounds odd, and odd is what it is. I just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem.

I have tried reinstalling FSUIPC several times after first removing th dll file but it doesn't make any difference.

Further more after installing FSUIPC I find the brake indicator (red words) remains on even with the heel of the pedals pressed down. This is before any setting in FSUIPC. I don't get this before it is installed.

Thanks, Barrie

If however I install FSUIPC there is a tendency for the HSI bubble to drift to the right and the aircraft to take a pronounced list to starboard which seems to get worse as the flight progresses. I don't attempt to calibrate the controls except for the toe brakes, in fact this drift seems to be worse after I've set the brakes (assuming I'm doing that correctly). Even if I didn't, surely once airborne the brakes shouldn't influence the flight characteristics.

I assume this is with a user-registered installation of FSUIPC?

It sounds like you have some Joystick options selected and operating. Edit the FSUIPC.INI file and delete the complete [JoystickCalibration] section. Do this before loading FS. If you want to use the Joysticks facilites in FSUIPC, do so but please take care to calibrate correctly. Follow the steps in the documentation.

Does FSUIPC have any effect on the autopilot because that also seems to cause the situation to worsen once engaged.

No, there are no actions taken by FSUIPC unless these are requested by a program, gauge or another DLL. FSUIPC is primarily an interface for other programs, it does very little itself, and all the things it does do can be seen in the options available to you. Whilst there is one for autopilot, to correct a wrong-direction Vertical Speed, there isn't one that says "veer off course". :wink:

I have tried reinstalling FSUIPC several times after first removing th dll file

You never need to "remove" the DLL file to "reinstall" -- if you copy in the DLL it will overwrite the one that was there before. If you want to start again from default settings you need to delete the FSUIPC.INI file. That's the file which contains everything you've done to FSUIPC's options.

Further more after installing FSUIPC I find the brake indicator (red words) remains on even with the heel of the pedals pressed down. This is before any setting in FSUIPC. I don't get this before it is installed.

Then you most certainly have the brakes badly calibrated in the FSUIPC.INI file. It will not touch ANY of the joystick/pedal inputs by default. Delete your INI file and start again.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Yes it is a registered version

I had the wrong slant on that, I always thought it was the dll you deleted and not the ini file. I have to admit it is a long time since I read the manual and a lot of that was a bit beyond me at that time.

It could have been just coincidence that when I engaged the A/P it seemed to get worse.

Really it is only the toe brakes that need setting but as they are part of the rudder pedals I wondered if when setting them it somehow influenced the rudder, obviously not. I must re-read the instructions on setting proceedure because I find it a little strange seeing all the numbers in the boxes and wondering what is the correct position of the pedals for each one. I assume one should find the zero point to set as minimum which is not fully back, then press the pedals fully forward for the max position, doing each side separately of course. At least that's how I have been doing it.

I also need FSUIPC to map buttons to the F keys for some functions, this it does very well.

I know there is a lot more to FSUIPC than that and it has a lot of features beyond me at present. Anyway I'll let you know when I sort this out.

Thanks, Barrie

I find it a little strange seeing all the numbers in the boxes and wondering what is the correct position of the pedals for each one.

You are doing it the wrong way round. The numbers are only feedback, to show you exactly what is going on. Pretend they are just bars moving up and down or something if you like.

You should be concentrating on where YOU want the different positions to be on your joystick/pedals. You don't even need to look at any numbers except to verify that your control is being seen and is moving in the expected direction.

Why don't you just follow the numbered steps in the documentation? The ones that follow the words "Now, to calibrate any axis, just do this:"? Surely they are clear? If not, why not? I've not had any reason to enlarge on what is there for years. The only mention of numbers is to check that they do change and that they change in the right direction, that's all.

Regards,

Pete