The simFlight Network Forums

Traffic IVAO IvAp and Project Magenta

I used to see traffic during online flights in my Project Magenta glass cockpit through AI Bridge. The new client is able to feed AI data into FSUIPC but the PM software does not pick this up. I is due to FSUIPC or should I contact Enrico for it?

FSUIPC's AI traffic facilities work fine, and I am using the latest PM builds and see all AI traffic well. Of course I don't fly on-line.

It sounds like you need to contact Jose abut AIBridge. Are you using his latest version? I replaced the old ZIP on the Schiratti "Dowson" page with a link to Jose's AIBridge site.

Meanwhile you have to think about what you have changed? What do you mean by "the new client" for instance? Is this a revised Squawkbox or something? Maybe you need other updates?

Regards,

Pete

Yes, it is a complete other program than squawkbox. So I know it is due to that problem change. I see regular AI traffic as well. But this program is said be able to feed the online traffic into FSUIPC. That is why I contacted you.

Oh, right. In that case they have something wrong. I assume you are a registered user of FSUIPC, or else the program would need an access Key to do this.

What is the name of the program? Is it "ivap"? I did provide an access key way back in July 2003 for a program called Ivap:

IVAP.exe

Product name "IvAp 1.0"

Company "International Virtual Aviation Organization"

I assume they incorporated the Key into the program. Have you checked the FSUIPC.LOG to see what that says?

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I might be in the wrong forum. I have FSUIPC registered and widefs. Everything works nice in the networked configuration. Main computer is running FS9 and one of the clients is running project magenta nav display (ABGC). Normal AI is displayed without problems. Online traffic is displayed as well with squawkbox, but with the new program no result. The newest version of AIBridge has no result as well unfortunately.

The problem is that I don't understand the difference. Online traffic is something like the same as artificial traffic?

Rob van Leest

Another one .... I contacted PM suport for it as well and Katy send me this answer:

That's out of our control, you would need an updated version of AIBridge... AFAIK FSUIPC gets its multiplayer info from AIBridge for online networks, there's no way the ND can get the information otherwise.

The updated version of AIBridge did not solve the problem. Ans because I understand that everything has to go via FSUIPC, I am bothering you again.

Thanx for the response.

Rob

The problem is that I don't understand the difference. Online traffic is something like the same as artificial traffic?

No. FSUIPC cannot see the mutiplayer traffic, so that is fed into FSUIPC forcibly, by AIBridge or whoever wants to. All that happens in that case is that FSUIPC becomes a storage medium for the traffic data.

Regards

Pete

The updated version of AIBridge did not solve the problem. Ans because I understand that everything has to go via FSUIPC, I am bothering you again.

Sorry, I cannot support AIBridge. I know absolutely nothing about either it or multiplayer. Possibly AIBridge doesn't work with your "Ivap" program or whatever it is. Why don't you ask them first?

I am very sorry to be so brief on this, but it really is not my subject, I have never flown on-line and know nothing about it. The support you need must come from the programs you use. The only way FSUIPC comes into this is that it receives data from somrthing for others to read.

Regards,

Pete

OK ....

But either FSUIPC or WideFS is normally responsible for getting the data from the server towards my client which is running the ABGC navigation display?

My problem right now is that I do not have any idea who to contact for this problem. IvAP claims data is fed into FSUIPC. With this program it did not work. AIBridge does not do the trick either. Trying to catch the problem right now.

Maybe you have some more ideas for troubleshooting?

Thanx,

Rob

But either FSUIPC or WideFS is normally responsible for getting the data from the server towards my client which is running the ABGC navigation display?

WideFS, yes, but you already said it was okay for FS AI traffic, didn't you? If WideFS is working enough to drive other things in your display it will certainly do the same for this stuff. It makes no distinction whasoever, all the data is just data, it doesn't know what it means.

My problem right now is that I do not have any idea who to contact for this problem. IvAP claims data is fed into FSUIPC.

... and they refuse to support their program? Has it ever worked? Do you know anyone else for whom it worked?

Maybe you have some more ideas for troubleshooting?

Well, you can switch on FSUIPC "IPC Write" logging (Logging page in FSUIPC options), and do a VERY SHORT test in which you'd expect to see some aircraft, then ZIP up the FSUIPC LOG file and I can see if any correct traffic data has been written.

This may provide fuel for your argument with the Ivap authors who won't otherwise support their product. But please keep it very short. Best not to enable the IPC Logging until you know you will see some soon, then close FS completely after you are sure you should have seen some.

Email the ZIP to me at petedowson@btconnect.com. Really I would rather support the programmers who wrote it if they seem to need help, as any explanation I give you will only have to be repeated second-hand this way.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete,

Thanks for the info.

I have to straighten some things out right now:

* The program I use is just being released;

* It is the first public release;

* Nobody refused me support;

* I posted a message on their support forum as well and they encourage people to report problems;

The reason I contacted you is because I am looking in all directions trying to figure out why I don't see any traffic. I am running all kind of PC's in networked environment through widefs and fsuipc so started looking in this direction.

As I already mentioned I contacted Support@magenta as well. I will try to make a log. Thanks for the help!

Rob

I have to straighten some things out right now:

* The program I use is just being released;

* It is the first public release;

* Nobody refused me support;

* I posted a message on their support forum as well and they encourage people to report problems;

Ah, right. Probably they have teething problems. I expect they will be able to help you much better than I, then. I thought you were implying that you were being bounced around and I was your last resort.

There are many hundreds of programs, gauges and DLLs out there which use FSUIPC in some way or another, and I know very few of them. I cannot possibly offer support for them, I'm afraid.

The correct way, especially for live programs like this, is for the authors or publishers to support their programs. Really only they can do it.

If they need help with the interface they use to FSUIPC then they can get that from me. For me to try to help you sort out what is going on between their program and FSUIPC is really very inefficient and likely to be quite unproductive.

Regards

Pete

Hi Rob and Pete,

IvAp has a special mode where it fills the TCAS tables of FSUIPC, this is probably what you are looking for.

Rob: it is of no use posting issues or support requests regarding IvAp on any other forum then the official support forums located at http://forum.ivao.org/We don't read all those forums and maybe other people don't know of our software and the issues will probably not be caused by them ;)

Take a look at our forum, we'll answer issues there ;)

Pete: The access key for IvAp you've probably received is an old version, we created a new version that restarted from zero, the key IvAp uses is the FSInt one you supplied a few months ago i think.

Greetz

IvAp has a special mode where it fills the TCAS tables of FSUIPC, this is probably what you are looking for.

Aha! So, no AIBridge is needed.

Pete: The access key for IvAp you've probably received is an old version, we created a new version that restarted from zero, the key IvAp uses is the FSInt one you supplied a few months ago i think.

Ah, yes. Thanks for the clarification. My database doesn't record so much detail for Modules and Gauges I'm afraid.

Regards,

Pete