The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle quadrant calibration

Hi Pete,

I'm trying to get my new TQ calibrated. I have had problems with my #1 throttle going into reverse as soon as I hit the detent. I've followed your instructions and have downloaded 3.411 hoping it would remedy the problem. But I'm still experiencing problems. The one thing I have noticed is when I look at the numbers during the settings, the #1 throttle has very little variance between the idle and reverse parameters, about 500-600, while the #2 throttle has a variance of about 3000 or greater and is working prefectly. Any corelation to these numbers and my problems.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

I'm trying to get my new TQ calibrated. I have had problems with my #1 throttle going into reverse as soon as I hit the detent. I've followed your instructions

What "TQ" is that? If it's the Goflight, doesn't it have a little separate reverse lever which operates a button to put it into reverse?

If not the GF TQ, then what instructions are you following to calibrate your throttle, and what is this "detente"? FSUIPC's main single thorttle calibration, on Page 1 of 8, doesn't provide for a reverse range.

The one thing I have noticed is when I look at the numbers during the settings, the #1 throttle has very little variance between the idle and reverse parameters, about 500-600, while the #2 throttle has a variance of about 3000 or greater and is working prefectly. Any corelation to these numbers and my problems.

No idea, I'm afraid. I am having trouble picturing what you are doing. First, though, have you calibrated the levers properly in Windows (Game Controllers, or whatever drivers they came with)?

The other thing to check is that you have full sensitivity and no null zones set at all in FS's Sensitivities menu. Remember, FS processes all this before FSUIPC sees it -- FSUIPC is merely manipulating things at the final moment before FS's sim engine gets hold of the values.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Let me give you some more details...its the CH Products new Throttle Quadrant. This TQ has detents built into it each axis. I've set all sensitivities and null zones as per your instructions. I'm using page 3 of 8 to set my number 1 and 2 throttles to fly my jets. I've calibrated the quadrant in Windows. My problem is that my #1 throttle immediately deployes thrust reverse when I pull back to the detent instead of simply going to idle as my #2 throttle does. When I calibrate is according to feel and what looks visually correct, I notice that the numerical values given for reverse and minimums are very close on my #1 throttle and more broad on my #2. Given that my problem is with #1, my theory is that the numerical values are showing quantitative data suggesting that there might not be enough travel in my #1 to allow proper seperation between where idle is and where reverse should rightly be. Any suggestions as to what I can do. Thanks.

I'm using page 3 of 8 to set my number 1 and 2 throttles to fly my jets. I've calibrated the quadrant in Windows. My problem is that my #1 throttle immediately deployes thrust reverse when I pull back to the detent instead of simply going to idle as my #2 throttle does.

You need to make the idle zone (centre "Set" button) wider, to encompass the detente completely. It sounds like the values you've calibrated for centre are not very good. When calibrating put the lever forward slightly of the detente and press the centre Set, then back of the detente a little and press it again.

When I calibrate is according to feel and what looks visually correct, I notice that the numerical values given for reverse and minimums are very close on my #1 throttle and more broad on my #2.

Which numbers? IN or OUT? The "OUT" values are results of how you calibrate in FSUIPC. The "IN" numbers are what FS is deriving from your axes.

If the IN values do not appear to have much range, there are two possible reasons. First is that the Windows calibration is bad (Game Controllers, or whatever drivers they come with). Second is that the FS Sensitivity is wrong. For full range you need maximum sensitivity.

my theory is that the numerical values are showing quantitative data suggesting that there might not be enough travel in my #1 to allow proper seperation between where idle is and where reverse should rightly be.

Well even a small difference would be scaled by FS to meet the complete range. You'd just get less actual positions giving different results. However, if this shows in Windows calibrations then either the pot in the device is very off-centred or something else is wrong with the device.

Regards,

Pete

>> The one thing I have noticed is when I look at the numbers during the settings, the #1 throttle has very little variance between the idle and reverse parameters, about 500-600, while the #2 throttle has a variance of about 3000 or greater and is working prefectly. Any corelation to these numbers and my problems. <<

It sounds like you've run into the problem with the pots not getting seated correctly. There have been problems with that on some of the units out of the first production run. The only fix I'm aware of at the moment is to exchange the TQ. You might want to call CH Tech Support or perhaps post a message over on the board at the CH Hangar:

http://www.ch-hangar.com

Michael from CH normally posts over there regularly and can give you the latest info. He's off for the week though, so it might be a few days before you get a reply.

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com