The simFlight Network Forums

What apps can I use WideFS with?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find any reference to it.

Like everyone else I'm on a constant lookout for ways to improve the performance of MSFS, so I'm considering buying WideFS. However, I wonder what applications do/can you put on another computer and then connect to MSFS via WideFS. And do you notice any performance improvements or is it just more convenient to have it that way?

I'm using among others Activesky 2004, Activecamera 2004, FSnavigator, FSCommander (well, at least I own it and have it installed...), Lago Scenery Enhancer, FSHotsFX, FDC, Squawkbox and FSUIPC. Actually I'm not currectly Squawkbox since I'm waiting for SB3 which should make life much more simple! ;)

Thanks for any input!

/Krister

Finland

Like everyone else I'm on a constant lookout for ways to improve the performance of MSFS, so I'm considering buying WideFS. However, I wonder what applications do/can you put on another computer and then connect to MSFS via WideFS.

Almost any which interface to FS via FSUIPC. That's all WideFS really is -- an extension of the FSUIPC interface to other PCs on the Network.

There's no way i can make a "list" -- there are programs interfacing to FSUIPC I've never heard of, and new ones appearing all the time.

I think approaching your setup in this way is not really a good idea. You should first decide what programs you want to run THEN you find out if they will run on WideFS. Usially the author/supplier/documentation of the program itself is the most reliable source.

And do you notice any performance improvements or is it just more convenient to have it that way?

Relieving the FS PC of any extra workload is going to be beneficial. Whether you would notice it particularly would depend on a lot of things, like how often and how busy the program(s) is/are and whether the PC is already struggling with FS as it is.

I'm using among others Activesky 2004, Activecamera 2004, FSnavigator, FSCommander (well, at least I own it and have it installed...), Lago Scenery Enhancer, FSHotsFX, FDC, Squawkbox and FSUIPC. Actually I'm not currectly Squawkbox since I'm waiting for SB3 which should make life much more simple! ;)

Of those, ActiveSky, FDC and Squawkbox can be run via WideFS. ActiveCamera and FSNavigator certainly can't -- apart from the fact that they don't use FSUIPC anyway, they are, themselves, FS modules like FSUIPC. I don't know the others (except FSUIPC of course, which is an FS module).

Regards,

Pete