The simFlight Network Forums

Trouble with wind...

I am having trouble determining winds. Let me explain. I am using 0x02B8 for TAS and 0x3190 and 0x3198 for GS velocity calculations. I apply winds through the weather section of FS2004, but I do not see a difference in GS and TAS. They are still the same number (or close). I have applied 34 knot winds in a certain direction, flew that heading and saw that the TAS and GS matched. I would think that I would see TAS - 34 for the GS. I used FS Interrogate to look at the ambient winds at location 0x0E90 and the direction at 0x0E92, and they matched what I put into FS2004. Are the velocities at 0x3190 and 0x3198 not really ground speed? I also noticed that other GS variables, like the one at 0x02B4, also match TAS no matter what wind I put in. Has anyone else seen this problem or know what I am doing wrong? Thanks for any help!

Ryan

Are the velocities at 0x3190 and 0x3198 not really ground speed? I also noticed that other GS variables, like the one at 0x02B4, also match TAS no matter what wind I put in.

In that case it sounds like it could be the TAS which is wrong, as the GS at 02B4 is certainly correct and matches the GS measurements shown by the GPS (for instance).

I haven't got time to investigate this right now, but it sounds like a proper scientific check is needed. You want to monitor the values at 02B4, 02B8, 0E90 and 0E92 for different head and tail winds (to make things easier to check). FSUIPC's Monitor facilities allows you to monitor four values at the same time, and have these sent to the FSUIPC.LOG.

Regards,

Pete

Has anyone else seen this problem or know what I am doing wrong? Thanks for any help!

Ryan