The simFlight Network Forums

Setting IAS and Gear

Hi,

I want to display some data files in FS2004. In these files there is information about the position, current speed etc.

I wrote an application using FSUIPC to write the data into FS2004. It is working mostly fine.

But there are some things that don't work. I'm setting the IAS via offset 02BC. But it isn't displayed. And when I'm trying to set the gear via offets 0BE8, 0BEC, 0BF0 and 0BF4 only the switch in the cockpit changes its status. But not the gear in the view from outside...

So how can I set IAS and gear?

I'm setting the IAS via offset 02BC. But it isn't displayed.

You cannot 'set' the IAS at all. The IAS is a result of computations in FS, not a control. You control IAS by throttle and pitch, mainly.

And when I'm trying to set the gear via offets 0BE8, 0BEC, 0BF0 and 0BF4 only the switch in the cockpit changes its status. But not the gear in the view from outside...

You most certainly can control the gear with 0BE8. Wite 0 to make the gear retract, or 16383 to get the gear down. That's the control you have. You cannot "set it" to a particular position, only start it moving up or down.

Locations 0BEC - 0BF4 are readouts to tell you where the gear is at any time. Writing to them has no effect.

Regards,

Pete

OK, now I'm only writing 0 to offest 0BE8. In my cockpit the switch is changing but in the outside view the gear still remains down. What's wrong?

Does the gear stay down when YOU operate the switch? It sounds like you have no power to operate the gear, or you are in slew mode or something. FSUIPC does not control visuals, all that is happening when you write that 0 is that a "Gear Up" is sent. Try pressing "G" on the keyboard.

Pete

Is it possible to set a global throttle or do I have to set the throttle for each engine separately?

Each engine has a throttle value. If you want to adjust them all together without actually writing them yourself you would have to use the generic FS throttle control via 3110, whilst also ensuring that the mask for engine selection in 0888 selects all the endines. (0888 is the E+1 2 3 4 selector). Then FS will write them for you.

Pete

I just found out that I can set the throttle in %. But in my datafile I have the throttle in N. Can I set the throttle in N in FS2004, too or just in %?

And is there an offset to find out what 100% is in N?

What do you mean by "N"? Where are you setting the throttle in %? The throttle values in the offsets in FSUIPC run from 0 (idle) to 16384 (max), just as it says. Negative values give reverse thrust where available.

Please check the Programmers' Guide in the SDK. That's what it is for. You will see the control lever values for Engine 1 at 088C to 0890, for example.

Pete

Hi Pete,

with N I mean Newton. So I don't have the throttle somewhere between min (0) and max (16384) but as a specific value. So if there would be a possibility to find out which value is the max-value for the current aircraft I could calculate a value between min and max for the values I have in my datafile.

with N I mean Newton.

Isn't a Newton a unit of force, or thrust if you like? I don't know of any throttle controls calibrated like that, and they certainly are not in FS. Each aircraft is different in any case.

So I don't have the throttle somewhere between min (0) and max (16384) but as a specific value. So if there would be a possibility to find out which value is the max-value for the current aircraft I could calculate a value between min and max for the values I have in my datafile.

There'll be something in the Aircraft.CFG file I expect. You can read back the current thrust, for example offset 204C for Jet Engine 1. There are separate values for Prop Thrust. They're in pounds, but I expect you know how to convert. You could adjust the throttle up or down till you get the thrust you want. I think this is how a real throttle would operate too, no?

Regards,

Pete