The simFlight Network Forums

VB.Net Basic Code

Hi All

I am facing up to the fact that I will need to re-write my application in VB.Net. My currrent development environment is not going to hack it long term and now might as well be the time :?

I have run the VB code from the SDK thru the VB6 converter which, as I expected, has thrown a bunch of errors. Is there some kind soul out there who has moved the FSUIPC interface module to VB.Net and would be prepared to let me have the conversion? Save me from re-inventing the wheeL

Many thanks in advance :D :D

I have run the VB code from the SDK thru the VB6 converter which, as I expected, has thrown a bunch of errors. Is there some kind soul out there who has moved the FSUIPC interface module to VB.Net ...

I don't understand. Is the package for VB.Net already in the FSUIPC SDK no good then? I know there was a problem with it way back, but I am reasonably sure that the current revision 2.004 has been used successfully. No one has reported a problem since it was updated last July.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pete,please include in you VB.NET Revision any UIPCHello.exe (with source code of course) to see how to write/read/get offsets.

The only function in the VB.NET SDK is the call of open and connect to FSUIPC.

Thanks !!!!

Sorry, I don't know VB.NET. Isn't the example for VB any use with VB.NET or is the .NET version a completely different language? :cry:

Pete

.NET is the underlying set of classes etc which interface with Windows. You can use one of three languages (at least) on top of it - Visual Basic, C# and some form of Java I think. It is quite different from the previous version of Visual Basic however.

• 2 weeks later...

David

I have not come from VB6 so I do not have a comparison. I like VB.Net because it is a pretty good implementation of OOP (well what I think of as OOP). I like to be able to parcel stuff away and forget about it once it is working :D

I stayed away from dotNET when it first appeared and really until the end of last year because of the overhead of getting users to download the framework (at 23Mb) that seemed an imposition. Right now I do not see that as an issue - most simmers are on broadband - or at least are used to downloading large files.

It certainly does just about everything I need and better than my previous language,

I also develop in vb.Net and made a *few* apps in VB. It does take a while for .net apps to load, but this is mostly due to the Just In Time compiler I believe. Anyhow I was a bit worred about performance loss, but there doesn't seem to be much if any.