The simFlight Network Forums

How to trigger terrain phototextures reload?

There is a well known problem in FS9 in all photographic sceneries (like Megascenery where scenery product contains a lot of photographic satellite images covering large areas of FS ground). Sometimes these textures does not load fast enough and the terrain in the immediate vicinity of aircraft position remains blurry (textures are loaded but not in the highest resolution). I discovered that temporary switching my view to Top-Down-View triggers FS to reload those textures quickly. Maybe this reload happens because FS is less loaded with processing in this view (no cockpit, gauges, clouds, especially 3D clouds!) but maybe there is a procedure in FS called during switching to Top-Down-View resulting in fast texture reloading with the resolution needed for actual resolution of Top-Down-View.

If somebody can answer this question if such “quick reload” procedure exist it’s only Peter Dowson.

Here are some links describing this “blurries” problem:

http://www.pcaviator.com/megascenery/fowtopic=739

http://www.pcaviator.com/megascenery/fowtopic=724

http://www.pcaviator.com/megascenery/fowtopic=582

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes these textures does not load fast enough and the terrain in the immediate vicinity of aircraft position remains blurry (textures are loaded but not in the highest resolution).

There are settings you can change in FS which minimise, if not entirely eliminate, this sort of problem. I think the documentation for the UK VFR scenery contains some good hints. Don't the MegaScenery folks provide any?

I discovered that temporary switching my view to Top-Down-View triggers FS to reload those textures quickly. Maybe this reload happens because FS is less loaded with processing in this view (no cockpit, gauges, clouds, especially 3D clouds!) but maybe there is a procedure in FS called during switching to Top-Down-View resulting in fast texture reloading with the resolution needed for actual resolution of Top-Down-View.

No idea about that. There is a "refresh scenery" control listed (see the list of FS controls in the FSUIPC ZIP package). You could program a button or key to do that, but it wouldn't be quick.

If somebody can answer this question if such “quick reload” procedure exist it’s only Peter Dowson.

No, not I. I've never really delved into scenery and graphics matters. John Farrie knows about this stuff (he's the Visual Flight designer). He gave a presentation about it at last year's Blackpool FS Convention.

Regards,

Pete