The simFlight Network Forums

help with widefs

:oops: Hi I need some help with fswide...

i wants to export some windows in other pc.. i explane well:

I have more pc in local network, in main (server) i have fs9, when i run it with PMDG 737 i would like to export the PFD and ND popup (are windows of the same panel) in other pc connected via widefs! Someone can help ne on how to do?

Thank you

Giovanni Lauretta

Firenze Italy

You can't export windows of the same panel over WideFS.

WideFS merely makes non MSFS programs think that MSFS is running on a computer when it isn't.

You need to run the PMDG software on the computer that isn't running FS.

WideFS will fool it into thinking that FS is running on the computer, and the windows can be opened just as they could be on the main FS computer.

Richard

:oops: Hi I need some help with fswide...

i wants to export some windows in other pc

WideFS cannot run parts of FS on other PCs, it only runs other programs. The PMDG aircraft are made up of parts of FS -- DLL files, MDL files, CFG files, Textures, Sounds and Gauges -- all of which need FS in which to run. They are not separate programs and cannot run alone.

Regards,

Pete

• 4 months later...

DEAR PETER DOWSON,

So - if I install for instance, gauges made from FS Panel Studio, could they be run on a client - or, because they rely on aspects of FS - are they out of bounds? So what sort of stuff CAN be used? I (no doubt along with many others) wish to show gauges on another PC (client) - so what can I use that has nothing to do with FS? Seems a bit weird - given that an aircraft flying on FS has to have data links with it's gauges which (it would seem) FSWIDE cannot handle because it would technically be part of FS???

What is FSWIDE typically used for? How could gauges from a specific aircraft in FS, be displayed - and what sort would they be if they are not related to the FS prog - and how do they interact?

You are a brilliant and busy man - but I hope that you can find time to explain some things to me. All I want to do is simulate a flying experience - not understand the depths of computer programming!

No offence - please reply soon as I am about to lose the will to live.

TONY GERARD, Plymouth, U.K.

So - if I install for instance, gauges made from FS Panel Studio, could they be run on a client - or, because they rely on aspects of FS - are they out of bounds?

Gauges are small library routines, just DLLs, than have to be run inside FS as part of a panel. They do not run through the FSUIPC interface to connect to FS so they cannot use WideFS, which is only a Network extension of the FSUIPC interface.

If parts of FS were dependent upon FSUIPC for interfacing to FS I think Microsoft would have written it in the first place, don't you? ;-)

So what sort of stuff CAN be used?

Any programs (not modules or graphics or aircraft or panels or scenery) which interface to FS via FSUIPC. That's all. Nothing else.

I (no doubt along with many others) wish to show gauges on another PC (client) - so what can I use that has nothing to do with FS? Seems a bit weird - given that an aircraft flying on FS has to have data links with it's gauges which (it would seem) FSWIDE cannot handle because it would technically be part of FS???

Why weird when FSUIPC was written explicitly to link things NOT part of FS to FS? FSUIPC would not be needed to link parts of FS to FS, now would it? THat would indeed be weird. I think you are thinking things backwards? ;-)

What is FSWIDE typically used for?

Interfacing any program which connects to FS via FSUIPC from another PC on a Network. That's all. Go look at ActiveSky, FSMeteo, Radar Contact, Project Magenta, FreeFS, FS Real Time, FlightTracker, Flight Keeper, FDC, TrafficBoard, FSMetar, AFCAD, etc. There's a list of some on the download page at the Schiratti site.

If you have no need of any programs other than FS and add-ins like scenery and aircraft then you don't need WideFS and don't really need FSUIPC unless you ant to make use of some of its additional user facilities. (Although of course some panels also use FSUIPC for some things too).

Regards,

Pete

As an extra comment to the last post, If I install a bought in add-on aircraft - and made up some gauges on FS Panel Studio - or use Project Magenta would this then allow me to display gauges/panels seperately?

FS panels, no, Project Magenta, yes. In fact PM was designed for use on several PCs. I actually use 6 PCs for it in my cockpit, though two or three are quite adequate.

There's a freeware set of panel programs too, FreeFDs I think it is called -- check the links on http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Peter.

Thankyou for your considered reply. Things are a bit clearer now.

If I use either an FS plane, or an add-on plane, will Project Magenta serve as the aircrafts panel? If not - do you know how Project Magenta users (using WIDEFS) display aircraft and gauges - or should I be speaking to Schiratti?

I hope that these questions are clear enough as I am not a technician, and cant put them any other way. All I am looking for is an outside view on the server, and gauges on other PC's. Fairly typical in the sim world I would say?

Comments?

TONY GERARD.

If I use either an FS plane, or an add-on plane, will Project Magenta serve as the aircrafts panel?

Yes. But it wouldn't suit all planes. There are various parts to PM. You can purchase a complete Boeing or an Airbus set, including an excellent FMC, or stuff for a Regional Jet, but I don't think you'll find anything completely suitable to props and light aircraft in general. But it isn't me you should be asking. Go look at their website.

For light aircraft like the Cessna, or even the Baron, the better route is the hardware one. The Real Cockpit do nice gauges (under their SimKits banner) and even supply complete cockpit sets. For VFR flying I use a nice hardware panel (for a Piper Arrow III) made by Aerosoft Australia -- but the don't make them any more.

Regards,

Pete

You can install a second videocard (Matrox PCI cards seem to work okay) and use that with a second monitor on the *same PC*. Then you can undock the panel and move it to the second monitor while the main screen is for outside view.

No need to use several PC's for that.

Also many videocards these days have "dual head" - two outputs that you can use separately. Only one usually is usable as a "primary" and thus can be 3D-accelerated ("outside view") but the other works fine as a 2D-screen (gauges).

//Tuomas

Hi.

We may have spoken before on Avsim's forum?

With 2002, I had a brilliant setup using Parhelia and two PCI cards which provided all I needed (instruments and outside view). Changing to 2004, I notice that the undocking mode on a window is "greyed out" unless I go to windowed mode for outside view - then all hell breaks lose!!! Any number of events can occur - especially when, after moving a window, I go back to full screen!. Nothing seems predictable, and the whole thing is unstable! If it were not for the fact that I want to use Vox ATC, I would stay with 2002, and supplement it with add-ons to make up for the less quality scenery. Also, 2004 will not let me use my 2002 fantastic Lago Otter!!

If you have a step by step on undocking without tears, I would love to see it!

Too much to hope?

Many thanks,

TONY GERARD, Plymouth U.K.

No need to use several PC's for that.

[\quote]

No, nor WideFS or FSUIPc ;-)

I have a test system running FS on three monitors on one Matrox Parhelia card (only the scenery view at 3840 x 1024) connected by wideFS to another Pc also with a Matrox Parhelia with three screens (each 1024 x 768) running Project Magenta's Boeing glass cockpit -- Pilot PFD/ND, Eicas, Copilot ND/PFD.

In other words six screens, two PCs! :-)

Also many videocards these days have "dual head" - two outputs that you can use separately. Only one usually is usable as a "primary" and thus can be 3D-accelerated ("outside view") but the other works fine as a 2D-screen (gauges).

With nVidia and Matrox, at least (not ATI I think) you can configure the two screens as one larger screen. If you do that you can have a much larger FS screen which is all hardware accelerated.

I think, since DirectX8, and on WinXP, more than one 3D window can be accelerated at once, but it doesn't matter how you configure it, FS runs really slow with more than one 3D window open. Yes, it is okay for panel parts undocked though.

Regards,

Pete

Interesting comments Pete. Tuomas feels that one PC with extra cards installed is workable with 2004? Can you comment on the near impossible task of undocking without causing problems and instability? Thought you might have a viewpoint? If you have a means of doing this successfully - all the better - but it may not be your line of interest.

Thanks.

TONY GERARD, Plymouth U.K.

Interesting comments Pete. Tuomas feels that one PC with extra cards installed is workable with 2004?

[\quote]

Ugh. No, not tried that for many years. No need with multiple outputs on cards these days.

Can you comment on the near impossible task of undocking without causing problems and instability?

[\quote]

I've no idea why you get such problems. I assume your FS2004 is the 9.1 update? There were plenty of bugs in the original release. The sort of problems you describe sound like video driver ones. Try a later or earlier version.

Personally I wouldn't try multiple cards these days. The different drivers don't always get on.

Occasionally, if you switch from Windowed to full screen or vice versa, the FS display will come up all black. I don't know what causes that, but it isn't hung or anything. It's just the stuff from FS hasn't been activated by the video card. It will recover directly you change one of the video options -- ALT O E D Hardware. I usually just toggle render to texture or adjust one of the other things slightly.

This isn't a frequent happening, and there should rarely be a need to toggle between full screen and windowed.

HOWEVER, depending on video card and its drivers, to keep undocked windows in position, you may have to stay in windowed mode -- that's okay in any case, just maximise it. If the resolution is high enough the slim title bar won't be that noticeable.

Regards,

Pete

What Forum is the reply in? It's not in the one I am typing to now??

Tony

Of course it is. "Question about WideFS and multiple screens". I didn't know which thread you were in here -- that's the reason I don't like Private Messages for non-private one-off things, there's no threading there. You broke this thread unfortunately.

Pete