The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS question before buying

I have FSUIPC registered but not WideFS yet. I am buying a second computor for my home cockpit flight sim 2004. I want to purchase Project Magenta which the second computor running it as well as GPS and FSNAV. Do I need WideFS for that? How the frame rate will be?

THanks

Al

I have FSUIPC registered but not WideFS yet. I am buying a second computor for my home cockpit flight sim 2004. I want to purchase Project Magenta which the second computor running it as well as GPS and FSNAV. Do I need WideFS for that? How the frame rate will be?

Project Magenta needs WideFS for sure -- it is theoretically possible to run it all one one PC, but not advisable. You can buy FSUIPC and WideFS keys from Project Magenta at the same time as you purchase their software.

The GPS units included with FS are FS gauges and will not run on a second computer.

Frame rates of FS are dependent upon the FS configuration. WideFS doesn't affect that, though it is often better to limit FS rates to a value which suits the other PCs on the network, so they all run at similar rates. This really only applies if one or more of the PCs are running near their limits, or the Network is slow -- modern Ethernet networks should give you 100 mbps which is fine.

Regards,

Pete

I forget to ask also, is there a place where I can find instruction how to set two computor to work with FS2004?

For Project Magenta there are FAQs and hints on their website. Apart from that and the documentation with WideFS (which you can read in the ZIP whether you buy it or not) I don't know of anything else specific that way. You can always ask questions here, or, better for PM, in the PM newsgroup.

Regards,

Pete