The simFlight Network Forums

GPSOut question

Hi all,

I am a registered user for FSUIPC, but this question is NOT related to it (I think).

I have a Garmin eMap unit using O/S 2.75. I connected it to my PC's COM connection with the original Garmin cable, and fired MSFS after copying the relevant GPSOut files in the modules directory. It does not work ;-)

My question is: is it supposed to work with my unit? If yes, what is the correct ini setup, or, what shoud I do to make it work?

Thank you for the attention.

Al

I have a Garmin eMap unit using O/S 2.75. I connected it to my PC's COM connection with the original Garmin cable, and fired MSFS after copying the relevant GPSOut files in the modules directory. It does not work ;-)

My question is: is it supposed to work with my unit?

It is "supposed to work" with any Moving Map program which accepts NMEA 0183 standard messages from a normal RS232 serial comms port, running on any type of PC or device which has such a facility, using a cable which connects the correct output lines from the FS PC to the correct input lines on the target computer or device.

I have no idea whether the Garmin program and your connection meets any of those criteria, but from my experience with two Garmin units (an Etrex and an iQue 3600) I don't think Garmin supports such a facility in any case except on their aviation-equipped units, and then it seems the protocol it requres is AV400 (which I added specifically because of this), not NMEA at all.

Regards,

Pete