The simFlight Network Forums

Gradiated visability

Hi, I am having a problems with gradiated visability. When I pass 15,500' the visability jumps from limited to unlimited instantly. Is this a FS9 problem or am I missing something in my settings of FSUIPC? I have gradiated visability checked on the visability page. Can anyone offer advice on how to stop this?

Thanks

CaptKidd

Hi, I am having a problems with gradiated visability. When I pass 15,500' the visability jumps from limited to unlimited instantly. Is this a FS9 problem or am I missing something in my settings of FSUIPC? I have gradiated visability checked on the visability page. Can anyone offer advice on how to stop this?

What are the visibility setttings in FS? Where is your weather coming from? What values have you set for graduated visibility? Have you enabled visibility smoothing? What is the "limited" value it jumps from? What version of FSUIPC are you using?

Pete

Pete, version is 3.47. Please see attached screenies for other info. Weather for this flight was set on FS9 fair weather, but I have experianced the same problem on the previous flight using FSMetar downloaded weather.

The current supported version of FSUIPC is 3.48.

None of the shots actually show "unlimited visibility" -- unlimited visibility shows a sharp unrealistic horizon line. They all look pretty good in fact -- and the ones you say are "unlimited" look more "limited" than what you call your misty one.

Your upper visibility at 25,000 feet is set to 90 niles. Is that perhaps greater than the maximnum for "unlimited" you've set in FS's options? At 15,500 feet you are nearly halfway up through the visibility graduation you've set -- so the visibility here would be calculated from the visibility at 6000 feet (where you've set it to start) at

x + ((90 - x) * (15500-6000) / (25000 - 6000) )) where x is the miles of visibility set at 6000. If this works out to the limit you've imposed in FS, then that is what happens.

I'm not sure what you think the problem you have is -- these visibility options in FS have been around and used successfully for years. Perhaps you are not so sure what it is you are seeing?

Most "sudden" changes, which you've not shown in the pictures, are due to clouds rather than visibility, at least when FSUIPC's smoothing is enabled.

Regards,

Pete

The screen shots don't really show it that well. My use of the term 'unlimited' is misleading. When I pass through 15,500' the 'misty' visability clears instantly which makes the ground in the bottom of the picture appear bright as opposed to 'greyed out'. This happens instantly as if the screen brightness has been turned up, but only in the part of the screen showing the ground (this is very difficult to explain!)

By the way, no critisism here - jus trying to fix a small but rather annoying problem :)

The screen shots don't really show it that well. My use of the term 'unlimited' is misleading. When I pass through 15,500' the 'misty' visability clears instantly which makes the ground in the bottom of the picture appear bright as opposed to 'greyed out'. This happens instantly as if the screen brightness has been turned up, but only in the part of the screen showing the ground (this is very difficult to explain!)

Ah -- you mean the view down to the ground!?

That sounds like the thin stratus the FS automatically puts on top of the visibility layer to make it appear like mist -- it cannot actually produce mist downwards and not horizontally and upwards at the same time. Complaints with FS2000 and FS2002 about this led them to this rather odd "fiddle" of a solution.

The cloud layer will be occurring at the top of whatever visibility layer that has been set -- check the FS weather dialogues to see what that is, or use WeatherSet2 which will also show it.

Regards,

Pete

This is what I get with WeatherSet2. Still getting the same problem at about 15,500' with FS9 clear weather!

Sorry, then. I don't know what that is. There's nothing special about 15,500. But what is your max visibility set to in FS in any case?

Pete

If you mean sight distance under >Display>Weather, it's set at 60 miles.

So the 90 mile visibility you set for the top of graduation cannot actually be attained.

However, the view down to ground, as opposed to that towards the horizon, is not a visibility issue. If that is clearing, it is either a graphics phenomenon or it's related to that thin stratus addion I mentioned.

Regards,

Pete